Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Introduce yourself to the rest of the Irish gardeners

Hi Everyone,

Most Recent Posts Free Carbons
Last post: Sue Deacon
weeping willow tree
Last post: Sue Deacon
hello everyone
Last post: Greengage
greenhluse heating help needed
Last post: Greengage

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
Maireadw
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 9:23 pm    Post subject: Hi Everyone, Reply with quote

I am very much a beginner gardener.

We have just finished building the garage, and next years task is to finish off the outside.

I have a flower bed along part of the back wall where I have some clematis planted. We have an awful lot of work to do before the rest of the back is ready for planting, at the moment it looks like a derelict building site. Embarassed

We have a lot of work at the front of the house as well.

I have bought a few packets of seeds to help get me started. I have areas of full sun, part shade both morning and afternoon, and full shade.

As soon as it is ready for planting I will post photos and hopefully, you maybe able to advise me.

Thank you.
Mairead.
Good guy
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome Maireadw. It's good to have you with us.
From the sound of things, you have lots of 'learning opportunities' in front of you - and loads of fun and satisfaction.
You will find plenty of answers to questions you may have; there is a lot of good info you can search through in the 'old posts' too.
Good luck with your projects.
Geranimojess

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Mairead...welcome to IG and hope you enjoy your stay with us...we're a pretty friendly Bunch of misfits here and we love to chat about everything so don't be shy...

PS...we also love to see Building Sites...gives us ideas and we love the "Before and After" Photos...
Ado 2

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Evening . Welcome. I am relatively new here but I seem to be getting on Ok with everyone and we all have different gardens Different experiences so a lot of experience to be shared
Sue Deacon

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Mairead and welcome to IG. Looking forward to seeing your photos. Make sure you take loads of before photos. It's great to look back and see the progress you've made.
Maireadw

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for your warm welcome, you are very kind. I'm taking plenty of notes and really enjoying all your beautiful pictures.
Edlyn12
Rank attained: Rowan Tree

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 2:56 pm    Post subject: Welcome Mairead Reply with quote

Welcome to the forums!
I am young and I started gardening because of my grandad and I find it extremely relaxing and love it! I do not have the same luxury as you in the sense of your own garden until I leave home so everything has to be container gardening for me for a while. I have a small veg plot and I had vegetables planted but the pests got to them and now it is too late to plant lettuce and anyway they would be eaten on me!I now this is your own introduction but I thought this would be helpful for you!
I really wish you luck in your garden and hope you finish it soon! Make sure you post a lot of photos I bet you it would look great when it is done.

(To the staff: I apologize if this is necroposting I just thought I would give my contribution)

May I suggest some lovely plants for partial shade shade and full sun?
Well here we go!

For full sun I would suggest lavender.It has lovely blue shaded leaves and it's flowers are to die for. In the summer and a breeze it would blow the smell in the window and would fill the room with a calming smell! Also if you rub the flowers the smell stays on your hands for a little while so it's smell is lasting!

For partial shade I would suggest a lovely plant called Heuchera Cherry Cola. It is an absolutely beautiful plant and it is not a tree so doesn't take up a lot of room. I hope you enjoy it!. If you are near Dublin which I am not I am in Kerry there is a garden centre called Johnstown Garden Centre and they have it.

Finally for full shade I have a lovely suggestion which I think you will enjoy. A nice small bush which likes full shade is Euonymus Emerald and Gold. It is a relatively small bush and I enjoy the holden colours which remind me of my golden retriever dog Ally.

Hope you enjoy the forums!

Always love to help!
Favourite Tree: Native Irish Holly
Favourite Bush: Forsythia
Favourite Flower: Rose
Maireadw

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you so much Edlyn, if either of my two children grow up to be as lovely and helpful as you I will be very proud indeed.

Your suggestions are excellent, and I am sure I will be using them all.

Thank you for your lovely warm welcome.
Edlyn12

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No Problem Mairead. I had a late reply die to simply not seeing the intro until now. I hope your children grow up to like gardening like me!
OscarKane

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome Maireadw. It's good to have you with us.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Introduce yourself to the rest of the Irish gardeners All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: