Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Roses in Ireland

'Blind' stems on Moss rose 'William Lobb'

Most Recent Posts funny
Last post: tagwex
Skimmia seed wanted
Last post: Brendankearns
At last! A garden joke. (except maybe it's not a joke!)
Last post: Ado 2
2016 Vegetable quizz.
Last post: Greengage

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
Sue Deacon
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 7:07 pm    Post subject: 'Blind' stems on Moss rose 'William Lobb' Reply with quote

Does anyone have any experience of 'blind' stems appearing on shrub roses? These are not suckers from the root-stock. They are growing on the same branches as ones that have flowered.

They are growing vigorously, but the leaves are paler than the others and DO LOOK like suckers. I don't understand what's going on. Confused
Greengage

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

William Lobb is an old Moss rose generally flower on older wood and should be allowed to develop naturally, It should be pruned in llate summer after flowering.Remove the three Ds (Dead, Decayed, and Diseased wood) Avoid a build up of older unproductive wood, if it becomes leggy remove some older stems from the base,So why did you stem not flower could be older wood not pruned at right time its unlikly to be a sucker as it is not grafted.
https://www.rhs.org.uk/Plants/98627/Rose-William-Lobb/Details
Sue Deacon

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never thought of that, dur! It's obvious when you think about it. All the flowers were on old wood and it was it's first full year in the garden. Feel such a numpty. Rolling Eyes

It's just that it flowered then sent out so MUCH new growth and all the others roses I have in that garden are repeat flowering. I have trimmed those stems back by half because of wind-rock. We'll have to see what happens.

Thanks for solving that Greengage. Very Happy

tagwex

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dam. Just what I was going to say. He beat me too it.

This boy can really sing http://youtu.be/Dgv78D2duBE
Greengage

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you know that he was a plant collector for the Veitchs (Think thats right) he was also responsible for the introduction of the Monkey puzzle tree and the Wellingtonia and Berberis darwinii all of which are still grown today ion gardens.
tagwex

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Way back in the early 80's my father planted a monkey puzzle/Chilean pine in the front garden. It was only about a foot tall. Now it must be close to 40'. Anyway, we had an elderly neighbour who must have been in his 80's at the time who used to regularly mix up his words. "I see you have planted a puzzle the monkey tree" he said to my father. It stuck and it has never been called anything else since.

Sue Deacon

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greengage wrote:
Did you know that he was a plant collector for the Veitchs (Think thats right) he was also responsible for the introduction of the Monkey puzzle tree and the Wellingtonia and Berberis darwinii all of which are still grown today ion gardens.
He also introduced the Flame Creeper, Tropaeolumn speciosum, one of my favourite plants. I think it was Helen Dillon who described it as 'difficult to establish and impossible to irradicate'.

It took three attempts to get mine to grow. Now it covers half the length of my long border (70') and has invaded the wood next door, climbing half way up a hawthorn and smothering a R. Ponticum. My 'William Lobb' rose is in the opposite border - perhaps I should grow them together?

Good guy

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smothering R Ponticum? Now there's an idea!
Ado 2

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I planted the tropaeolumn a few years ago it never took I would t mind trying it again ,can you take cuttings ?
Ado 2

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I planted the tropaeolumn a few years ago it never took I would t mind trying it again ,can you take cuttings ?
Sue Deacon

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ado 2 wrote:
I'm sure you can, but I have never had any luck. It is happy to send out very long, underground creepers in a woodland but cocks it's toes in good garden soil? Confused

Probably best if you try a plant again, perhaps with some leaf mould. Good luck!

Oddly enough, we are discussing yew trees on another thread - the first time I saw this glorious little thug was growing up through an enormous yew tree. I thought the flowers were yew 'berries', until I got closer. The flowers practically glowed against the dark foliage. Bright red flowers and shiny, blue berries - what's not to like? Very Happy Thank you William Lobb.

tagwex

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see what you mean now.

images.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  10.02 KB
 Viewed:  1439 Time(s)

images.jpg

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Roses in Ireland All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: