Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Plant Propagation, increasing your stock of plants in Ireland.

Seed Advice Needed Please

Most Recent Posts funny
Last post: Sue Deacon
Skimmia seed wanted
Last post: Brendankearns
At last! A garden joke. (except maybe it's not a joke!)
Last post: Ado 2
2016 Vegetable quizz.
Last post: Greengage

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
kali291
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 10:00 am    Post subject: Seed Advice Needed Please Reply with quote

Hi all. Would appreciate some advice and guidance as to how I can solve a problem with seedlings. Due to space constraints, I start off my seedlings in a garden shed which has a very large window. I cover the trays with a plastic dome, but remove the cover when the first seedling shows. I then move the tray to shelves built across the window, to give them more light, but doing this makes them grow quickly, and lean towards the light. So I turn the tray around, but then they just go the other way, and I finish up with tall spindly seedlings that eventually fall over. I have tried not moving them to the window, but it makes little difference, they still head for the light, but at a faster rate. Should I be starting the seeds off in trays outdoors? If so, how would I protect them from the rain without shading them? I would also like to ask at what point are seedlings ready to move into module trays? Everything I read says 'when they are large enough', but how large is enough?
Sorry for all the questions, but I am really struggling with this.
Thanks in advance.
Margo
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could always put your tray with cover outside as its now not to cold. Rule of a thumb is seedlings have 2 to 4 leaves on and at least 2-3 inches high.
Blowin
Rank attained: Orchard owner

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2015 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you thought about corrugated clear plastic, such as people use for roofs? I use it on the south side of the house. I put my trays of seeds down, about 6 inches from the wall and then a couple of concrete blocks (or something equally heavy) another 6 inches from them on the other side. All I do then is place one side of a sheet of the plastic against the wall, bend it over until it will go behind the blocks and I have a mini-greenhouse. If the weather's too hot, it's a moment's work to take it off, as it is for watering etc. If wind threatens to blow it away I just lay a length of 4x2 along the top to hold it down. The sheets come in a variety of lengths and will easily last five years if treated carefully.
kali291

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2015 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that. I'll give it a try
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Plant Propagation, increasing your stock of plants in Ireland. All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: