Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Vegetable growing, fruit and allotments in Ireland

Scallion/Spring Onion problems.

Most Recent Posts Christmas reading.
Last post: Greengage
2016 Vegetable quizz.
Last post: Greengage
At last! A garden joke. (except maybe it's not a joke!)
Last post: Sue Deacon
Skimmia seed wanted
Last post: Brendankearns

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
tippben
Rank attained: Vegetable garden tender

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 5:30 pm    Post subject: Scallion/Spring Onion problems. Reply with quote

I have been trying to grow these for several years. Different types, in the tunnel, outside, sowed direct, sowed in modules and planted out. They rarely get bigger than chives!

I currently have two crops going. One in the tunnel, one outside, both are White Lisbon, sown in late May/Early June. They have been kept moist, and fed every second week with liquid feed. Still tiny. I want at least enough for a stir fry, or colcannon! Otherwise, I won't bother growing them again.

My shallots (from sets), garlic (again), and leeks (from seed) are all going great. What am I doing wrong?
Hollywilson
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought these were really easy to grow. The man who runs the garden centre close to me said onions and carrots were really easy so I planted them. What can you be doing wrong?
tagwex
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Talk to them Tippben. Works for me.

This boy can really sing http://youtu.be/Dgv78D2duBE
Blowin
Rank attained: Orchard owner

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tippben - I never get a huge crop (White Lisbon too) but always enough for a few salads. If it's any help, mine went in on 22 March and, like you, I produced a row of 'chives' reasonably quickly BUT in the last week or so they've begun to fill out a bit and look a bit more like the real thing. Now, bearing in mind the difference in planting dates, perhaps yours need a bit more time? I have no tunnel so all mine are outside and, once sown, are left to their own devices, i.e. no feed of any sort.

Holly - Carrots ARE easy to grow but are also prone to pests. I had a reasonable crop in 2007 but total disasters ever since, i.e. plenty of actual carrots but all black and chewed so inedible. Don't forget the chap in the Garden Centre is trying to sell seeds.

mcgrueser
Rank attained: Rowan Tree

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2015 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never had as much success as I have this year. The variety I'm using is called Ishikura. They are a bunching variety and definitely a recommendation.
Good guy

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2015 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you grow them from seed, mcgrueser? I've been thinking bunching onions might be a better bet for me as the other kinds haven't done too well over the last year or two.
Ado 2

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seedaholics.com have the seeds
Good guy

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tnx
tippben
Rank attained: Vegetable garden tender

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everybody! I will keep trying until I find a variety that works for me. I am reassured that I'm not missing a crucial cultivation technique.
mcgrueser

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry about slow reply Good Guy/Tippben.

Yea I grow them from seed. I sow them in a container or pot first and transplant them when big enough to handle, maybe half the width of a pencil. I'm not very precise or delicate with my transplanting, I just make a deepish drill and fire the scallions in along it, whatever way they fit even when clumped together, before covering over and watering. They grow really well.
Just water them an hour or so before transplanting so they're not too thirsty when they first get into their new environment.

I buy most of my seeds from seedaholic .com or greenvegetableseeds .com, both are v reliable and great service.

Happy sowing!
Good guy

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info. I'll try them next year.
gulos

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2015 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blowin wrote:
Tippben - I never get a huge crop (White Lisbon too) but always enough for a few salads. If it's any help, mine went in on 22 March and, like you, I produced a row of 'chives' reasonably quickly BUT in the last week or so they've begun to fill out a bit and look a bit more like the real thing. Now, bearing in mind the difference in planting dates, perhaps yours need a bit more time? I have no tunnel so all mine are outside and, once sown, are left to their own devices, i.e. no feed of any sort.Paris airport private transfer

Holly - Carrots ARE easy to grow but are also prone to pests. I had a reasonable crop in 2007 but total disasters ever since, i.e. plenty of actual carrots but all black and chewed so inedible. Don't forget the chap in the Garden Centre is trying to sell seeds.

yes, you are right it will take more time as i know . by the way i found your reply helpful and i will try this process in my planting time. so thanks for giving your kind information. thanks alot
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Vegetable growing, fruit and allotments in Ireland All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: