Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Irelands Garden tools / equipment. (mowers, glasshouses & polytunnels etc).

Fires of hell

Most Recent Posts Skimmia seed wanted
Last post: Brendankearns
funny
Last post: Margo
At last! A garden joke. (except maybe it's not a joke!)
Last post: Ado 2
2016 Vegetable quizz.
Last post: Greengage

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
tagwex
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 8:59 pm    Post subject: Fires of hell Reply with quote

Today I invested in a flame thrower weed wand. Seen them advertised on Lidl (approx. 17) phone app for their Thursday specials but couldn't make it yesterday but went today and of course they were all gone. Trotted across the car park to Woodies to pick up something else and inquired about a weed wand, They were 34 and just as I was looking at them a member of staff came along with a half price sticker, ohh happy days. Anyway, made my purchase and went home. There are 8 drills approx. 45m long that just got away on me with the weeds that grew to nearly 4 feet. They got the round up treatment about two weeks ago but are an eyesore. I was going to use my strimmer to cut them down and gather in to one heap to burn them (wasn't looking forward to that). Then I remembered Good Guy extolling the virtues of a weed wand several times so I thought I would go down that route. Glad I did as it was both effective and therapeutic! I had little fires all over the place and it is supposed to be heavy rain here tonight so I seized the moment when it was still dry. With that job finished I turned my attention to the still live weeds in the drills and gave a few of them a blast. I am not convinced yet that it does kill the weed entirely as the root I fear is not effected by the flame. I am particularly cursed here with doc, ground elder and scutch grass.

FIRES OF HELL.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  163.26 KB
 Viewed:  1012 Time(s)

FIRES OF HELL.jpg

This boy can really sing http://youtu.be/Dgv78D2duBE
kindredspirit

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's the trouble with them. The effect is only cosmetic because a lot of the weeds come back from the roots again. It's great, though, if you have visitors coming and want immediate weed-free effect.

The last time I got frustrated with the slowness of my little Mickey Mouse weed wand, so I used a roofing torch with a Calor Kosangas cylinder. A hundred times faster. Smile Smile Unfortunately it set fire to some Ivy and Box unbeknown to me. They started smouldering behind my back and I only noticed when I heard crackling. Good thing, I have a pond full of water nearby! Smile Smile

A little garden in Co. Limerick.Some non-gardening photographs.
Good guy

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depends on what you use them for. They are great for annual weeds and personally I love watching hairy bitter cress wilt under the flame!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Irelands Garden tools / equipment. (mowers, glasshouses & polytunnels etc). All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: