Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Vegetable growing, fruit and allotments in Ireland

Vegetable getting eaten and seed fails

Most Recent Posts oops
Last post: kindredspirit
funny
Last post: kindredspirit
2016 Vegetable quizz.
Last post: Margo
Skimmia seed wanted
Last post: Brendankearns

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
Edlyn12
Rank attained: Rowan Tree

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 3:46 pm    Post subject: Vegetable getting eaten and seed fails Reply with quote

Hello,I haven't been on this forum for a while die to computer issues and forgetting my username.I have started growing more vegetables.I planted carrots and most failed and some got eaten.I also planted lettuce,same thing happened.

What is going on?I had success last year but it has started happening this year.Is it too late to plant any vegetables now?

Thank You,
Edlyn12

Always love to help!
Favourite Tree: Native Irish Holly
Favourite Bush: Forsythia
Favourite Flower: Rose
tagwex
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go out at night with a torch and a salt cellar and you will find the culprits. Ask at your local garden centre and they will advise you what you can still sow at this time of year, plenty of choices still. In some cases you might be better off just buying a 12 pack of plants and replanting them.

This boy can really sing http://youtu.be/Dgv78D2duBE
Edlyn12

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tagwex wrote:
Go out at night with a torch and a salt cellar and you will find the culprits. Ask at your local garden centre and they will advise you what you can still sow at this time of year, plenty of choices still. In some cases you might be better off just buying a 12 pack of plants and replanting them.

Thank you,I will have a look at seed packets etc.

I just found that I can plant lettuce,carrots, beet perpetual and parsley(a herb,not a veg😄)

Always love to help!
Favourite Tree: Native Irish Holly
Favourite Bush: Forsythia
Favourite Flower: Rose
Edlyn12

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Surprise!I have found two survivor lettuce seedlings which survived out of nowhere!Before I left for a week in cork there were no seedlings and now there is lettuces!But one of them is right beside my few carrots and I don't know if it is safe to transplant it into a container to grow it on.I really want to save this little guy!

Any help is appreciated as always
Ado 2

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Plant lettuce seeds in containers then you can help prevent the slugs getting them also the containers can be near your back door. I have large containers growing leeks, lettuce, rocket, celery, Swiss chard and herbs outside. Do go and and buy packs of veg plants Garden centres have all kinds of veg in packs I am going to plant spinach from a pack myself today
Ado 2

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi you can plant the seeds in containers and keep near your back door.you can keep an eye on them for slugs easier. You can transplant some into your garden plot too. I have large containers growing lettuce, chives, scallions, Swiss chard, celery , leeks and as Tagwex said go to the garden centre and buy packs and plant them I am going to plant a pack of spinach today
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Vegetable growing, fruit and allotments in Ireland All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: