Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Irelands Garden tools / equipment. (mowers, glasshouses & polytunnels etc).

Geo Dome

Goto page 1, 2  Next  
Most Recent Posts At last! A garden joke. (except maybe it's not a joke!)
Last post: tagwex
Veg in Modules
Last post: Good guy
Artificial lawn
Sticky: How can we improve the Irish gardeners forum?

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
marek
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 9:46 am    Post subject: Geo Dome Reply with quote

Hi everybody
I live in Ireland for last 12 years. Well we all know the complains about a weather, so decided to do something about it. I'm building geodesic dome. Wooden structure, 6 m in diameter with a highest point around 3 m. Cover 1000 gauge polythene clear film.
Plans for the dome when finished? To provide me with a place to sit and have a coffee, sheltered from elements while still enjoying the view and to grow some more warm loving veg and flowers.
I wonder if there are more people who has some experience with building and using similar structures?
Here comes the question. My plan for attaching polythene to wooden beams is to simply staple it. That was the advise on one of the website. I bought heaviest material available on the market but still was quite surprised how thin and flimsy it fills. Given no previous experience with polythene I'm worrying a bit that staples can reap it apart. Any advise greatly appreciated Smile

dome structure copy.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  759.19 KB
 Viewed:  7672 Time(s)

dome structure copy.jpg

tagwex
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice looking job marek. Check out this thread that one of the forumites built last year.

http://www.gardenplansireland.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=7427.

You can get a 1200 gauge polythene for definite, maybe more. I would be fearful of wind damage. I also think that each section should be done separately and tucked in so as the staples/nails are not on the outside. This would then need another sheet over the whole lot or else mastic every joint.

This boy can really sing http://youtu.be/Dgv78D2duBE
TMAK
Rank attained: Hawthorn Tree

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Marek.
I built one last year. The same dimensions as yours.
I covered it with polythene. I think it was 800 gauge and attached it with staples. Over a year later with numerous storms, the polythene is perfect as good as new. Just make sure you get a good stretch on the polythene and make sure you have help putting it on. You will need a really still day as the slightest breeze will blow it away on you.
I had the same idea as you. Somewhere nice and warm to enjoy a cup of coffee but ended up filling it with seedlings and plants. Barely place to sit in at all now. But starting to have a clear out this week.
Best of luck with it
marek

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you guys. Any advise greatly appreciated as it is my first in greenhouse building. Polythene 1000 gauge is purchased already so it has to do. Due to the wind risk I decided on plan which makes just under half of a sphere 5/12. This way there are no vertical walls , but that's just theory. Time and first game will tell Wink.
In the meantime. Today we've managed to lift the hole structure and put it on concrete slabs covered with damp proof membrane. That will keep timber off the wet ground. There is also frame for the door now, and triangular lifting window just under the "roof". Next step, fixing polythene Wink
Tbc

dome framuga copy.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  771.75 KB
 Viewed:  7259 Time(s)

dome framuga copy.jpg

TMAK

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's looking good Marek.

You've gone to a lot more trouble than I did. I used a 2v dome so there is less timber and its a half sphere so it probably catches more wind than yours.
I was nervous about spending too much on it, as I wasn't sure about how sturdy they would be. but I already have plans in my head for my next one.
All I would say is make sure you put in more than one window as they get hot really quick and if the sun is out they are hard to cool down.
I had a max min thermometer in mine and it has got to over 55 degrees Celsius on days I wasn't around to open the door and window in the morning.
marek

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw Tommy your dome and i like it a lot. I decided on 3v project because of the rounder shape, yep i know Smile but if you have an artist as an adviser at home some things go further then you would initially plan for Smile. To be honest project grows with time, when i got the timber (250 worth of it) there came realization that it would be worth preserve it to last longer, hence, wood preserver and concrete "foundation". When you mentioned second window, yes I will make another one.
Also i tried to see from a picture of your dome how did you fasten the cover. Was it battened, glued to frame or just stapled. I'm going to staple my polythene but still not sure how to do it. But hey until a week ago I hardly believed i can get it where it is now Smile
TMAK

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just stapled mine on and no problems at all with it.
For my next one I think I will staple it and put batons ove is also jus because I think it would look better and you can hide any folds you need to make in the polythene under the baton. I much prefer the 3v shape myself and will most likely use it for my next one. I wasn't to confident of my woodworking skills or how well my home made connectors would hold up. But they have worked out perfect.
When stapling it on I started from the top centre point and worked down and around in a circle until I reached the bottom. And lots and lots of staples.
marek

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Project is going ahead. Maybe not that fast as I would like but life has its priorities Smile. Anyway, skin is getting attached. I was advised by TMAK who build similiar dome a year ago to start from the top and working levels go down. I went opposite way. Two reasons: I needed experience in attaching polythene and I didnt want my initial and maybe not perfect looking triangles to be the most prominent top ones, also by working from bottom up, every bottom of the higher level overlaps the lower one and that prevents from a rain water ingress in to the skin. There is a pise though.This is going to cause major pain in the back side as I approach the very top. Two windows which are located in second last level plus some serious equilibristics will be involved to finish it. One more advise for anyone thinking of building geodesic dome. Projects give you amount of timber you need but its hard to find info on amount cover you need to buy. In my case dome has 61 m2 and I run out of polythene even though Ive bought 84m2. I have used bit more to make skirts which are in to the ground around perimeter but other then that I didnt waste much of the polythene. Triangular shapes produce much more waste the anticipated. More soon Smile

partly covered.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  126.09 KB
 Viewed:  7159 Time(s)

partly covered.jpg

Blowin
Rank attained: Vegetable garden tender

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 4:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope the staples you've used are rust proof as normal office ones will rot very quickly. I also suspect that the advice to start at the top was based on the builder being able to poke his head up through the empty triangles to cover the top ones. Then, by the time he reaches the last ones, he's working off ground level. Unless the structure is very strong (I haven't a clue) your method could produce problems at the top?
marek

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To answer your question Blowin, yes staples are good quality and in my opinion it's well worth investing in professional staple gun. It's 40-50 . Staples are wider (they don't cut the plastic the way ordinary office ones will do). This wise advise is based on my experience. After initial tests with quite strong but still ordinary (t21) staple gun I run to the shop to get proper one (T50), and boy am I glad I did Smile. As for the methodology of covering, before mentioned from bottom up. Yes I'll end up having to lean outside on the skin of the dom to attach sides of the central top pentagram. Dome construction is strong no problem. It takes my 90 kg hanging from it without a problem I tested it by climbing it). My only worry is in damaging the polythene. I'm waiting on delivery of the polythene to cover the remaining part of the dome. I'll update that link when I'll get to this point Smile
TMAK

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking good marek. If you have windows near the top you should work it. Are you wrapping each triangle individually, that's a lot of work. Fair play it looks great. Keep the pics coming
marek

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you TMAK. polythene I've got comes 6 m wide. I cut stripes about 30 cm higher then my highest triangle in the horizontal row. My big triangles (the ones which are in hexagon are about 120cm including joining hub so my rectangular piece comes 600/140-150cm. I lay it on the structure, temporarily secure with clamps to the frame making it lays flat and all extreme corners are covered with some margin. I staple it from the centre of let's say top edge then bottom in the middle and work my way to the ends. This way I avoid folds forming due to curvature of the structure. I found that I can cover with one piece 4-5 triangles. To do more and still have plastic laying flat on beams I would have to cut my rectangular much higher which in turn would produce more waste. There is fair amount of measuring and fitting before attaching first piece. It depends on the radius of your dome, amount of levels 2-3 or 4 V) and width of the polythene. One more think I fold my edge and then staple. It doesn't look that neat (you can clearly see green edges were the polythene edges meet) but folded edge is much stronger. If my cover survives intact I might consider in the future covering edges with wooden strips for purely estetic reasons. Hope my next post will show completely covered dome. Fingers crossed Smile
tagwex

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you finished yet Marek?
I was on jury service last week, being the good honest citizen I am, in Wexford Courthouse. There is an Art and Design College next door and I spotted this in the car park. Thought it might interest some of you. I thought it was marginally better in that the bottom row is level.

20150714_115119.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  332.16 KB
 Viewed:  6950 Time(s)

20150714_115119.jpg

20150714_115106.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  330.23 KB

20150714_115106.jpg

20150714_115128.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  153.21 KB

20150714_115128.jpg

20150714_115259.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  141.06 KB

20150714_115259.jpg

marek

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi
Finally. Its been a while, I had a lot of work and bad weather also added to delay but finally is here Smile
Thanks Tagwex, for pictures, its beautiful design ( I'm not a big fun of this bottom level, in my opinion it messes up a beautiful structure but its just may opinion. It certainly helps with less then half sphere design like main with smaller diameter as it allows to use edges which otherwise might be somewhat hard to reach, although I found that with my 6 m diameter and 5/12 a sphere even edges are perfectly accessible). Main difference is a joint. I decided for different type of joint as it looks more forgiving to me. I'm not a carpenter and I didn't know if ill be able to produce such a precise ends. Anyway that's how it looks. Smile
Time to furnish it a bit inside Smile

banka przykryta.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  122.32 KB
 Viewed:  6906 Time(s)

banka przykryta.jpg

tagwex

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you explain what a 5/12 sphere is please. I measured the sphere that I photographed and it too is 6m diameter.

The bit I cannot understand is why the members that are almost horizontal are not truly horizontal and all the triangles are then equilateral and similar, instead they look as though they are different sizes. I presume if I was to make one then I would realise the answer to my questions and the answers would become apparent.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Irelands Garden tools / equipment. (mowers, glasshouses & polytunnels etc). All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: