Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Days out in Donegal.

Goto page 1, 2  Next  
Most Recent Posts ...What did you do Today...
Last post: tagwex
Pines and topiary.
Last post: Sue Deacon
Turning my lawn into a woodland.
Last post: Darwin.
A thousand bulbs
Last post: tagwex

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
Good guy
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2015 6:40 pm    Post subject: Days out in Donegal. Reply with quote

Took a day off from the garden yesterday and went with my daughter, her cousin and her dad to see the dolmen at Kilkloonet, near Ardara. My niece had been studying dolmens in school and wanted to see a real one. We had a lovely afternoon out including lunch (delicious chowder for me) in Nancy's Bar, went to look at very good crafts in the Donegal craft workers' gallery and then set off for the dolmen. It was well worth seeing and imagining the work needed to erect it 4000 years ago. Quite a feat of engineering. And like most of these objects, in a beautiful location.
The area is on the Wild Atlantic Way and there are some excellent gardens to see in South Donegal too. Then of course, there is Glenveagh, Gartan and the whole northern end of the county with good gardens, too.

image.jpg
 Description:
Kilklooney Dolmen
 Filesize:  351.37 KB
 Viewed:  3909 Time(s)

image.jpg

image.jpg
 Description:
I know, they shouldn't have climbed it, but....
 Filesize:  344.45 KB
 Viewed:  3909 Time(s)

image.jpg

Ado 2

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Went there myself on last visit to Donegal I also visited a garden centre and garden open to the public in the area too also visited an old hotel that was being done up with views of the sea Any one any idea what it's called it was (is ) an old building with bar and walled patio area for sitting Beautiful ( being done up ) this was 2 Years ago. Answers not on a postcard please !!!
tagwex

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pretty girls, must have the mothers genes.

This boy can really sing http://youtu.be/Dgv78D2duBE
Good guy

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not that familiar with developments in the south of the county, Ado2, but if I hear where that hotel is, I'll let you know. Was it, by chance, in Portnoo?
Ado 2

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will try race my steps on a map and get back to you Thanks very much
Ado 2

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excuse the late reply I do believe it was actually. We were staying at Dungloe and travelled to Dunfanaghy we travelled back by the coast to visit a garden and garden centre beside it. We are going to Ardara( sorry forget how to spell it) in August
Good guy

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://seasideplants.net/downloads/PRESS.pdf

I wonder was it Seamus O'Donnell's garden in Falcarragh - that is between Dunfanaghy and Dungloe and it is worth a visit. I don't know about the old building you mention, though.
Ado 2

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes It was this place Thanks I reckon that place closed down Thanks for taking the time to reply
Good guy

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm glad we sorted that out! It's quite a place, isn't it? And a stunning location. Ballyness bay always intrigues me, the way it dries right out at low tide. During WW2 a U.S. bomber landed on the beach there on its way to join the fray. I knew a man who was sent to guard it when he was a young soldier. There is now a memorial at the site and the daughter of one of the aircrew came to its unveiling.
I wonder did you go to the big beach down the lane from the nursery? It faces due north and is a wonderful place to visit after a storm. All kinds of things get washed up - I once found a log that seemed to be from a palm tree. It was covered with goose barnacles.
I'm ashamed to say I haven't been to the nursery in many years but thanks to your post I might remedy that some fine day soon.
Ado 2

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No I didn't go to that beach but I went to a national park with beaches and walks there was only one other person there. That story reminds me of my grandfather He was Sargent of the Gardai in one of the border towns during the war A German plane crashed and the pilot survived My grandad asked "Dublin " what to do with him And he was told to lock him up in one of the cells until something was decided anyway nothing was decided and Grandsd had him in his spare room in his home and went fishing and hunting together ha ha They kept in touch after the war
Good guy

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The place you were at is Ards Forest Park. It's a wonderful place. One of my heart-stopping moments there was when walking along the coastal path and then climbing up a small cliff 'to see what was on the other side'. As I walked to the top of the rise above the cliff, lo and behold, three red deer does and a stag, only about twenty metres away. Magic.
There are lots of good stories around WW2 events near the border. Once, an RAF Costal Command Sunderland flying boat made an emergency landing in Bundoran Bay, having been shot up and run out of fuel. The aircrew were entertained at Finner Camp by the army and the plane was 'impounded' while fuel was brought in via Belleek. The army helped to refuel it, then it was flown back to Lough Erne.
A U.S. plane crashed in the mountains above Glenveagh. The crew survived - I think one had a broken ankle. They were looked after at the castle until they could be sent to the North. As far as I know, those planes weren't armed, to save weight on the transatlantic crossing. But they were full of all sorts of other highly desirable stuff that the Irish authorities had to prevent getting into the 'wrong' hands: chocolate, nylon stockings, gum and , above all, lest they corrupt the country, contraceptives!
Ado 2

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ha ha "God Forbid" yea Good Old Ireland I have some beautiful pics of Donegal but I cannot load pics off this phone for some reason and my lap top is getting repaired. I will hopefully get a chance to put some up. I always head for Glenveigh. It is really remote isn't it and I also went to the garden at zrathmullen house. I live near Wicklow and we encounter deer on our walks too .magical Have a nice day Cheers
Ado 2

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rathmullen !
Good guy

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the sound of zrathmullan. Kind of exotic, Persian maybe?
Ado 2

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The predictive txt !
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Garden visits All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: