Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Introduce yourself to the rest of the Irish gardeners

If your Gluten free read this

Most Recent Posts funny
Last post: tagwex
Skimmia seed wanted
Last post: Brendankearns
At last! A garden joke. (except maybe it's not a joke!)
Last post: Ado 2
2016 Vegetable quizz.
Last post: Greengage

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
Margo
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2015 2:52 pm    Post subject: If your Gluten free read this Reply with quote

I know its not about gardening but I'm sure our gardeners might be interested to read this. We haven't got any Asda's round here but I know there are some.
http://www.itv.com/news/2015-06-06/asda-recall-gluten-free-products-may-contain-gluten/
kindredspirit

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2015 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a coeliac but I can't understand people, who are coeliacs, unbelievable desire to have bread. I have neighbours who go on about it, when I say "I can't eat normal bread.", "Well what do you eat instead?" and I say "Anything without wheat in it." and they keep going on and on, "What do you eat instead?" They just can't fathom life without bread. Sad Sad Extraordinary! To me, it's not a problem.
A little garden in Co. Limerick.Some non-gardening photographs.
Margo

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2015 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My cousin is a severe coeliac. When she came to stay I was quite worried how I was going to feed her especially as she's a veggie as well. I think like a lot of people I had never come across it before and as I say was really worried. I was so surprised at the range of foods available especially in Aldi. Even when we went out for a meal and always asked if they catered for gluten free and they went out of their way to cater for her. Making their own sauces up. We went to a café in Easky and their batter was cornflour and sparkling water
kindredspirit

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2015 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I'm severe as well. I can't even eat "gluten free" wheat as it contains something like 6 parts per million of gluten in it. Extraordinary that such a miniscule amount would give severe reactions but there you go! The only answer is wheat free.

Coeliacs are most prevalent in Ireland, Scotland, England i.e North West Europe (and also Australia) and the reason given for it is that it was the last place farming reached 10,000 years ago, as farming spread from the Iraq area westwards into Europe and it took a long time for the human gut to adjust from roots, berries and meat to grass seed heads. Sounds feasible but who can tell?

A little garden in Co. Limerick.Some non-gardening photographs.
Margo

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2015 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its now all the major supermarkets that are recalling

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-33040348
Good guy

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2015 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My MIL has a moderate wheat allergy - restaurants are always obliging, she finds. And I can use cornflower in a gravy without offending my inner Escoffier!
What is amazing, once you begin to look out for these things, is the way the food industry incorporates so many ingredients into its products that a home cook wouldn't.
Margo

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2015 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really panicked when my cousin came to stay. I bought gluten free cakes and her cereal that she uses. I cook from scratch and soon realised its not such a hardship. As said keep away from wheat and it was all OK
earthway
Rank attained: Hazel Tree
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2015 11:23 pm    Post subject: Gluton free Reply with quote

For people who suffer with this condition, there are many alternatives out there, especially organic
medieval knievel

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

organic doesn't enter into it though. it's gluten which is the issue, not organic vs. chemical farming.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Introduce yourself to the rest of the Irish gardeners All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: