Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Vegetable growing, fruit and allotments in Ireland

Polytunnel beginer

Most Recent Posts funny
Last post: Ado 2
Skimmia seed wanted
Last post: Brendankearns
At last! A garden joke. (except maybe it's not a joke!)
Last post: Ado 2
2016 Vegetable quizz.
Last post: Greengage

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
Sidney Pink
Rank attained: Hazel Tree
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 10:19 pm    Post subject: Polytunnel beginer Reply with quote

Hi all,I've just got a polytunnel and intend to put in raised beds.Its set on grass with a good scatter of dock leaves.What would be the best way to keep them from coming up through the soil?I was thinking of spraying the dock with an organic weedkiller and just covering the whole lot with newspaper and carboard before putting in the raised beds.What do you think?
tagwex
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Simozene would be great as it would totally sterilise that soil of anything alive in it but it cannot be purchased anymore. So whatever the green and PC equivalent is nowadays is the way to go I guess. I read somewhere that a full grown dock can spread 6000 seeds so be choosy when disturbing them or else you will have trouble for years. Digging them up is not a solution either as you may knock seeds off plus any bit of root left in the ground will grow again. When do you plan on moving in? Guessing that you are wanting it for next spring I would dose the area, let them come up again and again, with roundup, this will save you years of hardship but I note you want to go the organic route. A flame gun would be effective too. The newspaper and cardboard would work too but those pesky weed seeds wil find a way through eventually. Carpet works too but I would spray with roundup - job done quickly and effectively. I am inundated with couch grass and docks here, even today I sprayed a large enough area that I had let go too long (4 to 5' high) but next week it will be bare soil.

This boy can really sing http://youtu.be/Dgv78D2duBE
tippben
Rank attained: Vegetable garden tender

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 5:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kill everything. I'd really try to physically remove the docks if you can. As for the grass, organically, a flame gun or boiling water (ideally both) will help. Then, you are right. exclude light. I used glyphosate initially myself.

Newspaper and cardboard is right, but then, cover the entire floor in black weed suppressant membrane. When you get it, remember to get the little black pegs to hold it down tight as well. This will do three things: 1) Stop the weeds from growing. Those that do are easily pulled off. 2) Keep your tunnel warmer, as it absorbs heat. 3) It is easy to sweep, keeping your tunnel cleaner, thus reducing pests and disease. You just cut the covering wherever you are going to put in a bed.

If you can, build a "heat sink". http://www.reuk.co.uk/Solar-Greenhouse-Heat-Sink.htm I wish I had.
tagwex
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isn't it great to be appreciated tippben?

This boy can really sing http://youtu.be/Dgv78D2duBE
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Vegetable growing, fruit and allotments in Ireland All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: