Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Landscaping / Gardening Ireland, Overall discussion & Garden related News.

Greenhouse using poly tunnel plastic

Most Recent Posts 2016 Vegetable quizz.
Last post: Greengage
funny
Last post: tagwex
Skimmia seed wanted
Last post: Brendankearns
At last! A garden joke. (except maybe it's not a joke!)
Last post: Ado 2

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
Ado 2
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 10:06 am    Post subject: Greenhouse using poly tunnel plastic Reply with quote

hello My hubby wants to build a greenhouse for me Is it possible to use poly tunnel plastic in lieu of glass or polycarbonate I think the panels would prob have to be made separately(nailing ?) the plastic around the wood as in a poly tunnel Has anyone done this Thanks in anticipation
tagwex

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The drawback I see would be the same as for polytunnels, depending on the quality of the plastic used, that it would need to replaced every few years. Also, I would be concerned about wind damage on a vertical surface, at least with a curved polytunnel the wind can be deflected around it. Finally, the use of nails will obviously introduce holes from which tears will start. The sheeting is 4 or 5 euro a sq. metre, glass does indeed cost maybe 7 or 8 times that, it is a trade off.

This boy can really sing http://youtu.be/Dgv78D2duBE
Ado 2

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you very much for such a swift reply .... Better keep the thinking hats on....
tagwex

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No problem. If you are serious about having a long term greenhouse then you should buy one for the reasons i mentioned above. A friend of mine got a polycarbonate one lately from STEELTECH. He is delighted with it. Cost was 1500 though supplied and erected. There are any number of similar companies around. An alternative is to get a second hand one, you might get lucky. I got one quite by chance for 50. 8 ' * 12' aluminium.

TMAK
Rank attained: Hawthorn Tree

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I Made a Dome Greenhouse last year and covered it with Polytunnel Plastic, the sides are not totally vertical but it stood up to all the storms over the winter and spring,
the Polythene is holding up well and traps the heat well
tagwex

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just looked back on that thread TMAK, can you show me a close up of the centre hub, did you make or buy them?

TMAK

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2015 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Tagwex. I don't know why but I only saw this comment now. I made the centre pieces. ''Twas easier than cutting compound angles. I'll take a pic when I'm out there later on
Geranimojess

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2015 5:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I lived in Dublin I erected a "Conservatory" onto the back of the House... being short of cash I approached my local Window Installer who was always anxious to dispose of old Aluminium Windows he'd replaced...after a short while I had sufficient Frames to complete the Job...

12 years on and that "Conservatory" is still standing and being used on a daily basis...just thought it worth a mention if you really want a DIY project that wont cost the Earth and will be unique in the sense that it will be one-of-a-kind and you can extend it whenever needed...
Blowin
Rank attained: Orchard owner

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2015 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ado -- I know I've mentioned this in other contexts but corrugated plastic would be my solution. 'Back home' in the UK we lived in the same house for 31 years before moving over here. I had a small wooden sided shed there that had a tin roof when we bought the place, but of course that made it terribly dark so I re-roofed it with clear plastic to let more light in.

When we left, I'd re-done it once after about 20 years and the second lot was showing no signs whatsoever of needing attention. With a simple wooden frame, galvanised screws and plastic washers it's easy to drill and fix PLUS, if you're worried about the risks of ultra-high winds, it's easily covered by overlapping sheets for added strength as you see fit. It comes in a variety of lengths which, for a hopeless craftsman like me, would make me ensure my timber frame matched standard sheet sizes to save cutting.

Ado 2

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2015 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Guys The Greenhouse is constructed. We used poly tunnel plastic sourced from the lovely Wexford and used polycarbonate sheeting for the roof. When (hopefully) I sus how to upload pics I will show u all Thank you all very much
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Landscaping / Gardening Ireland, Overall discussion & Garden related News. All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: