Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Climbers and creepers in Ireland, including wall shrubs

MOTHER IN LAW

Most Recent Posts 2016 Vegetable quizz.
Last post: Greengage
At last! A garden joke. (except maybe it's not a joke!)
Last post: Sue Deacon
Skimmia seed wanted
Last post: Brendankearns
funny
Last post: tagwex

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
Good guy
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 10:21 pm    Post subject: MOTHER IN LAW Reply with quote

I have to get this one right! The MiL has requested a plant ( perennial, climber) to grow at her front door, up a trellis which yours truly has volunteered to put up for her.
The main function of the plant is to provide some screening from the front door of the adjacent nosey neighbour. The trellis will be fixed to a low wall which separates the front gardens and it will reach up under the canopy over the front door.
The location gets good afternoon and evening sun but has limited soil.
My suggestion is to offset the plant from the doorstep to ensure it gets rainfall and then to train it over a distance of a foot or two to the trellis. It will probably be planted in a bottomless pot so as to give more growing medium and allow roots into the surrounding soil (soil at the step is limited).
The MiL and FiL are absent in July and August and have limited gardening experience.
My first thought was a honeysuckle but I think they are too vigorous. All suggestions welcome!
tagwex

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sansevieria trifasciata!

This boy can really sing http://youtu.be/Dgv78D2duBE
Sue Deacon

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trying to picture the site. Would it be possible to make a bottomless planter? Decking planks work well for this. A custom made one like that would give you the best chance of making the most of the space available.

Is the trellis going to be at right angles to the wall? Any heavy climber would cause it to waggle about in the wind.

I think you are right not to go for Honeysuckle. As much as I love them, mine grows 6' - 8' a year. The Outlaws would come home to find they could not get back in the house!

Depending on the amount of sun (and shelter from cold winds) my plant suggestions are, Solanum crispum 'Glasnevin', (I once used one to successfully hide an oil tank), Jasminium officinale or an evergreen Clematis (armandii or cirrhosa). All of those would give some screening without taking over.

I know you are not supposed to put Clematis in pots (cool root-run etc) but a friend of mine has 3 Clematis in large pots and they are fabulous (one south and the others west facing)

Good luck!
tippben
Rank attained: Vegetable garden tender

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As for the construction, it sounds sensible. If you are using a bottomless container, double dig as normal, incorporating compost or well rotted manure. If drainage could be a problem, you could also ad some horticultural grit. Then set up the planter. Within the planter, I would strongly recommend using silica gel, which is sold as "water retention granules", as these will reduce water stress in summer.

As for the plant, I would go for Trachelospermum (also known as Rhyncospermum) jasminoides. Get a decent sized one, as they are relatively slow growing (which helps with maintenance: expect about 6" to 1' of growth a year). They are evergreen. In the summer there is a long season of highly perfumed flowers. In the winter, if there is a cold snap, some of the leaves go red. These then drop as the new leaves emerge in spring.

https://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile?pid=302

Sue's suggestion of Solanum is also a good idea, but not if there are curious children or pets in the garden that might eat it. It is highly poisonous.
Good guy

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@wigtax: very funny, ha, ha, ha. I'll tell her you said that. Then you WILL be frightened.
Good guy

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sue and Tippben, thanks for the suggestions. I'm thinking of going for the trachelospermum, partly because I can get a well-grown one (at a price!) though the clematis armandii would also be good. I used to have one myself until builders did for it. This might be a prompt to get another.
One thing I forgot to make clear earlier is that the trellis will be freestanding, at right angles to the house wall, so won't have the benefit of masonry at its back. Will this matter, for the Jasmine? I think the clematis would cope.
tagwex

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd worry about the father in law more. I heard he has it in for you!

Sue Deacon

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A free-standing trellis? That's what is worrying me. I'd make sure it is well anchored with strong vertical posts. It may seem strong enough but when you have a plant growing over it, it acts like a sail and, believe me, you don't want that! Shocked
Good guy

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@wigtox: as he is a man with four daughters, I dont think so!

@ Sue: it will be sturdy, all right!
Sue Deacon

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sure it will be fine. I just speak from bitter experience! Laughing
tippben
Rank attained: Vegetable garden tender

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regarding trellis. On the outward side, a well set post, then another length for the top. This can be anchored to the wall with a bracket. Attach trellis to that structure.
tagwex

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe so, but look what he ended up with for a son in law!

Good guy

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The trachylospermum jasiminoides is bought (on line, from Johnstown) and I'll make up a wooden planter the same height as the doorstep. I'll include some granules in the compost, too.
Once again, thanks for all the suggestions, folks.
tagwex

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine was easily the best.

Good guy

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The trachylospermum is planted and looking happy, despite howling gales, sleet, hail, horizontal rain.....
What a 1st of June!
MIL happy with the result (now I can start counting the brownie points!).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Climbers and creepers in Ireland, including wall shrubs All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: