Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Irish Lawns and grass care

Clover safe broadleaf weedkiller

Most Recent Posts funny
Last post: Sue Deacon
Skimmia seed wanted
Last post: Brendankearns
At last! A garden joke. (except maybe it's not a joke!)
Last post: Ado 2
2016 Vegetable quizz.
Last post: Greengage

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
spiracles
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 10:08 pm    Post subject: Clover safe broadleaf weedkiller Reply with quote

I need a broadleaf weedkiller that I can use in the future on an area of grass/clover without harming the clover. The area is not sown yet but the mix is Diamond General Purpose containing white clover.

I looked online for cloversafe herbicides such as Clovermax but on the product description it says "Clovermax is used on established grassland (permanent pasture) and newly sown grass. It may also be used on direct re-seeds. DO NOT use Clovermax on established clovers or on lucerne." I fins this confusing, does this mean I can't use Clovermax on an established grass containing Clover? The land will not be used for grazing purposes, once the grass is established I will not be reseeding.

Or is there a better alternative? I also read about a herbicide called Alistell.

If anyone could advise about the best time of year to spray herbicide and any other information I would be grateful.

Thanks.
Greengage
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Suggestion do not use chemicals at all if necessary, just google harmful side effects, clover is great for bumblebees.
tippben
Rank attained: Vegetable garden tender

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could you be a bit more specific please? What are the dimensions of the area you wish to plant? What is it's purpose? Which particular weeds are you worried about, and why? What was there before, and why didn't that work? Then we can help :)
spiracles

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, the dimensions are around 20 metres by 60 metres

The weeds that are constantly attacking are:

Groundsel
Chickweed
Creeping Thistle
Docks
Dandelion
Willowherb (I think)
Nettles
Scutch Grass
Moss
Rushes in a few spots that had no grass on them.

The area is just for a rough lawn with shrubs around the edges and possibly a few trees in the middle over time. Thanks.
tippben
Rank attained: Vegetable garden tender

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regular mowing will eliminate most of those. Why are you worried about scutch in a rough lawn? Dandelions are essential early bee food. Just mow before they go to seed. The only ones I'd really worry about there are the thistles, nettles and docks, which can be dug out by hand, then mown. Rushes indicate waterlogging, which may be why no grass grew there. Again, I'd physically remove them.
spiracles

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tippben wrote:
Regular mowing will eliminate most of those. Why are you worried about scutch in a rough lawn? Dandelions are essential early bee food. Just mow before they go to seed. The only ones I'd really worry about there are the thistles, nettles and docks, which can be dug out by hand, then mown. Rushes indicate waterlogging, which may be why no grass grew there. Again, I'd physically remove them.

Thanks. It's just we had a problem here before with scutch grass running a decent lawn and I hate the sight of it. Even though the area will have an agri seed mix I'd really like to keep it out.

I'm really going to try to keep on top of them. The creeping thistle around here is something else. It seems the more I remove the more it reappears.

Is there any resource or book that could show the different seeding times of different weeds and the pictures of seedlings. I find it near impossible to tell the difference
tagwex
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an Alan Titchmarsh book called 'How to be a gardener'. Back to basics, book one. There is a great little chapter on identifying weeds when young, lots of colour photos too, it is the chapter that I have found most useful.

This boy can really sing http://youtu.be/Dgv78D2duBE
plantguerrilla

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i find useful this site:
http://theseedsite.co.uk/seedlings.html
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Irish Lawns and grass care All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: