Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Irish Wildlife, Irish Wild flowers and nature gardening.

St. Mark's flies

Most Recent Posts funny
Last post: Margo
Skimmia seed wanted
Last post: Brendankearns
At last! A garden joke. (except maybe it's not a joke!)
Last post: Ado 2
2016 Vegetable quizz.
Last post: Greengage

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
tagwex
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 4:13 pm    Post subject: St. Mark's flies Reply with quote

Found the following on a news website.

Massive swarms of these weird-looking flies will soon be back in Ireland.

Don’t worry though, they can’t hurt you and, if you’re a farmer, they won’t destroy your crops.

If you happen to spot a massive swarm of these guys, don’t panic; the world is not about to end. Around this time every year, hundreds of thousands of St Mark’s flies appear in Ireland and unlike many of their flying friends, they do not go unnoticed.

There is nothing to fear from these strange-looking insects.
“You might see hundreds of them in one place because they form mating swarms. The males do this little dance thing in order to impress the girls and the one deemed to be the best dancer would get to mate with one of them.”
“They have quite long legs and the last two pairs are really long and they are hairy black insects as well. They fly in an apparently upright position because the legs are dangling down and people get freaked out by them.
Cyclists can fly into one of these amazing swarms and if you haven’t got glasses on you will know all about it. You can also end up driving through one of the swarms and suddenly it’s splatsville. They like grasses so they hang out in gardens sometimes and when people see them all they think: “Oh my God, it’s a plague, it’s all gone biblical”.

St Mark’s flies are not a threat to crops and are actually great for flowers and fruit trees as they are important pollinators.

You will be glad to hear that they are usually only here for two or three weeks at the start of May.

After they mate, they only have a couple of weeks to live so by the end of this month, most of them will be gone – until next year, that is.

img_7698-2-375x500.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  27.49 KB
 Viewed:  1257 Time(s)

img_7698-2-375x500.jpg

This boy can really sing http://youtu.be/Dgv78D2duBE
medieval knievel

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

we had an infestation of these in a place we were renting a couple of years ago. no sign of where they came from.
Greengage

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are Also known as bibionid and there are 2 of these ie marks and fever
St marks fly lays it`s eggs in the summer period on areas with a high % of organic matter and the larvae feed on this decaying matter and roots which`ll decrease the plants ability to take up moisture and nutrients.
Once these mature they don`t cause damage as it`s the juvinile`s that do ie learvae !
Damage to plants will be visably similar to that of leatherjackets etc ie yellowing and ofcourse crow damage is a good indication
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Irish Wildlife, Irish Wild flowers and nature gardening. All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: