Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Irish Wildlife, Irish Wild flowers and nature gardening.

false oxlip

Most Recent Posts 2016 Vegetable quizz.
Last post: Greengage
At last! A garden joke. (except maybe it's not a joke!)
Last post: Sue Deacon
Skimmia seed wanted
Last post: Brendankearns
funny
Last post: tagwex

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
baabamaal
Rank attained: Hawthorn Tree

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2015 2:51 pm    Post subject: false oxlip Reply with quote

Ok, so I found a clump off what I thought were primroses in a forest plantation that was about to be flattened early this year. Took them home, split them up and planted them out. They have grown well, but I noticed that the flowers were on very long stalks and they just didn't look primroseish . A bit of research and lo and behold- I appear to have a naturally occurring hybrid of Primrose and Cowslip (both primulas) called a False Oxlip. I took a photo but cannot get it to download to this machine, but a quick image google will demonstrate it's characteristics.

What I can't work out from what I've read, is- why is this not considered as a separate species? They only went in the ground in February, so come next year will they grow back as False Oxlips, will they produce seed, or will they propagate by division or will they not return at all?

My hazy memories of inter cert biology are not assisting!

I was fascinated to make the discovery, but need more info and the knowledgable people on this forum normally come up trumps Very Happy
Greengage
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2015 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depends on what you have Primula elatior (Oxlip) or Primula x polyanta. (false Oxlip)
If its Primula elatior (Oxlip) the plant tends to have a shorter stem and deeper coloured flowers. The most important difference between the two is the way the flowers are arranged on the top of the stem. Unlike primula x polyantha the false oxlip, in the true oxlip (Primula elatior) the umbel drops to one side. These can be grown from seed and need chilling prior to planting. Primula x polyantha can only be propogated by division. That sounds very wordy but you get the point if it is native i.e Irish Oxlip you can only get more plants by dividing................ think ill stop .
baabamaal

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2015 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Greengage! I actually understood every word- just not all at the same time
Very Happy
I'm fairly sure it is the polyanta so I will happily propagate them by division in the future.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Irish Wildlife, Irish Wild flowers and nature gardening. All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: