Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Landscaping / Gardening Ireland, Overall discussion & Garden related News.

17 Years ago today....

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next  
Most Recent Posts funny
Last post: Sue Deacon
Skimmia seed wanted
Last post: Brendankearns
At last! A garden joke. (except maybe it's not a joke!)
Last post: Ado 2
2016 Vegetable quizz.
Last post: Greengage

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
Sue Deacon
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2015 7:47 pm    Post subject: 17 Years ago today.... Reply with quote

It was 17 years ago today that I first set foot on Irish soil, (my OH lived here in the 70's).

To mark the event we went out for lunch. You don't get views like this in Stoke-on-Trent! Laughing

I purposely haven't said where, I'll leave it to Tagwex - shouldn't tax him too much!

Here's to the next 17. Very Happy

rsz_027(3).jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  175.31 KB
 Viewed:  3589 Time(s)

rsz_027(3).jpg

Geranimojess

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2015 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is that the "Sands Hotel" in the distance....Rossnowlagh Beach...just a guess.

Last edited by Geranimojess on Fri May 08, 2015 8:36 am; edited 1 time in total
Sue Deacon

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2015 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, It's changed a bit since the first time we saw it, as has The Smuggler's.
Good guy

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2015 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Happy anniversary, Sue, and to your OH. I hope you enjoyed your lunch - the Smugglers is a lovely spot.
I first set foot on Rossnowlagh strand, age nine, more years ago than I care to say! Having just moved from Redcar (in Yorkshire in those days) I was well used to beaches, but the scale of Rossnowlagh beach and it's wild setting and huge waves were something totally new.
In those days, the Sand House was a small pub; there was a 'tin hut' shop and a small caravan park - and there were trains! But it was all magic.
tagwex

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2015 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love a challenge but to be fair Stoke is a big enough city and only a surname to go on. I have my limits. But If I put up a photo of your neighbours shed your jaw might drop!

This boy can really sing http://youtu.be/Dgv78D2duBE
Sue Deacon

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2015 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't mean Stoke, I meant Rossnowlagh! But I think you knew that.

Anyway even you would have a job finding me in Stoke. I have been working on our family trees and it makes me laugh when I think of some poor soul trying to track us down in the future. Now you see me, now you don't and a name change on the way.... He he he!
tagwex

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2015 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I misunderstood, I did think you meant Stoke. I don't even know what county Rossknowlagh is in. I tried doing the family tree three or four winters back in conjunction with a cousin. So many stone walls of silence that I gave up. Distant relations, in fact ones that I didn't even know of, treating you with suspicion and not keen to divulge any information at all. Disheartening really. Managed to get back 6 generations though.

tagwex

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2015 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dam it anyway. Just found out that it is in Donegal. Too close to good guy - I'm not going there.

Last edited by tagwex on Fri May 08, 2015 9:53 am; edited 1 time in total
Sue Deacon

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2015 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tagwex wrote:
I tried doing the family tree three or four winters back in conjunction with a cousin. So many stone walls of silence that I gave up. Distant relations, in fact ones that I didn't even know of, treating you with suspicion and not keen to divulge any information at all. Disheartening really. Managed to get back 6 generations though.
Yeh, something similar here. Mum's family - with loads of photo's, family histories and interest, I got back 12 generations to 1690's. Dad's family - all smoke and mirrors and nonsense. I haven't even a birth cert. for granny - no record of her birth, but some very odd census'. I think it's hilarious. Turns out (I think) dad was the White sheep in his family. Laughing

If you should try again - and I know you like a challenge - go global. If you have family in Australia or US they would probably be more keen to help. That's what I found.
tagwex

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2015 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Name change on the way? Are you tying the knot Sue and which of us forumites will be chosen to represent the rest at the nuptials I wonder, hmmmmmm?

Back to 1690, there must be landed gentry in the gene pool then because us ordinary folk didn't have records kept until approx. 130 years ago and the census (in the republic anyway) is only available since the turn of the last century. My ex-wifes family were 'landed' and they have records back to the 11th century.

When I started the tree research, I decided to start with the hardest part which was the yanks. So convoluted over there what with divorces and second marriages being more prevalent than here.

Sue Deacon

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2015 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Landed gentry Laughing Laughing Laughing . A load of old Cobblers - no seriously 4 generations of boot and shoe makers! Before them, cow wallopers.

Mum's family, Stationers, Book Sellers, Potters and a ciggarette maker whose daughter died of lung cancer. Rolling Eyes

English/Welsh Census starts 1841. BMD's records go back to 1625(ish). Geneology fascinates me - you never know what might turn up, and it keeps me out of mischief when the weather is too vile to garden.

As for the 'nuptials', you're (nearly)15 years too late.
tagwex

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2015 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No such organised record keeping on this side of the border, substantial amounts of the census were burnt, decades worth.
Nuptials, you said there was a name change on the way.

Sue Deacon

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2015 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oops, sorry I meant ALONG the way, past tense.
jdquinn
Rank attained: Hazel Tree
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rosnowlagh.

Used to love going there as a small child. We would only go for the day out. Lovely sandy beech and great views but the last time I was there it had really gone downhill not that it was ever up scale or anything. My parents took my grandparents to it last year and saw a family of rats living in the boulders protecting the hotel. Probably surviving on old bbq food and rubbish thrown / blown into them. I don't think any of them will be going back soon.

A couple of years ago I booked a small cottage at Creevy for a night, just up the road from Rosnowlagh. Had a fantastic time with friends there.
Sue Deacon

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Re: Rossnowlagh - depends on what time of year you visit. Sometimes the beach is one enormous car park!

Winter storms wash all the cxxp away. Late spring, early summer (before the 'grockles' arrive) it's wonderful!

OH's son and his family had a cottage in Creevy for last August Bank Holiday. Only a couple of days, but we had a fantastic time with them - took the grand kids surfing. Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Landscaping / Gardening Ireland, Overall discussion & Garden related News. All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: