Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Water features in Ireland, including all aspects of water gardening.

One step closer!

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next  
Most Recent Posts funny
Last post: tagwex
Skimmia seed wanted
Last post: Brendankearns
At last! A garden joke. (except maybe it's not a joke!)
Last post: Ado 2
2016 Vegetable quizz.
Last post: Greengage

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
Sue Deacon
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2015 2:46 pm    Post subject: One step closer! Reply with quote

A while back I was chatting with a guy who said he had stone I could use for my planned pond/waterfall. Bearing in mind his 'topsoil' comes straight out of the bog, I was more than a little doubtfull. But last week I arranged to go and see the stone. Turns out he has a small quarry on his land. WOW, it's just what I've been looking for (but I didn't tell him that - I didn't want the price to sky rocket)

He said I would have to arrange transport (think I can do that) and I should come over on a fine day, with some paint and mark the pieces I want. I came away a very happy bunny. Very Happy

Another lovely suprise was that a friend sent me a birthday card with a crisp 20.00 note in it! On Friday I went plant shopping with a friend who wants to replant a border (I LOVE spending somebody elses money on plants Laughing ) While we were out I saw a Pinus mugo that would look great growing over the stream. So that sorted the birthday money.

My collection of peonys are coming along fine. As are a selection of Iris sibirica that I bought mail order. Ferns are all doing well, but a recent frost has burnt the tips of one pieris and two Jap. maples.

I have another friend who is going to save some of his peat (turf) cut for me. I'm going to use it to hide the edge of the lower part of the stream. I've seen this done - plants then grow into the peat and it all locks together to form a natural edge, rather than a double line of stones, which can look a bit fake.

I'm still trying to work out the logistics of the build and the site is still a forest of marker canes and old bits of butyl and hose. But you can see how the new garden is going to look (well I can)

Finding that stone has really fired my imagination. I can really 'see' the garden now. It even has a name 'Hana wa saku' - roughly translated 'Flowers will bloom'.

All I need now is the 'dosh' to buy it all! That and all the advice and help I can get from you guys.

Watch this space.
kindredspirit

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2015 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The peat on the edge of the water'll look great. Ideal. What type of stone is in the quarry? Sandstone? Granite?
A little garden in Co. Limerick.Some non-gardening photographs.
Sue Deacon

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2015 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not altogether sure. It's on the north shore of Lough Erne, which I think is mainly sandstone and mudstone. It is browny-grey in colour, quite sharp and 'shaley' when fresh-cut. But mellows quite nicely and moss grows well on it. There are some pieces with white or buff-coloured quartz running through.

I must be a very sad person, as I am getting quite excited at the thought of finding the 'right rock'. Mind you I have been thinking about this garden for YEARS!
tagwex

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2015 9:12 pm    Post subject: Re: One step closer! Reply with quote

Sue Deacon wrote:
He said I would have to arrange transport (think I can do that)

Would this be the OH's skip/rubbish bin? I forget what you called it previously. AKA a van.

This boy can really sing http://youtu.be/Dgv78D2duBE
Sue Deacon

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2015 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oooh no, I wouldn't do that to him! The friend with the donkey has tractor with link box, trailers etc. I'll sort something, even if I have to bring them back one at a time!

Oh, and it was wheelie bin - still is!
tagwex

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2015 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can the donkey pull the link box!?

Good guy

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2015 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now you're being an ass, Wigtax😉

This sounds like a really exciting project, Sue. You must be thrilled to bits. Before, during and after photos would be very instructive/interesting. I wish I had taken the time to document the process of building mine.
It took me and a helper two full days to dig out my small pond. Then I spent most of another day on my own with a spade and a rake, re-shaping the surrounding ground to help it look less like a hole in the ground! Lining, filling and making the edging took the two of us another day. So it cost me three days labour as well as a couple of hundred for the liner. Dear things, water gardens!
I really like your idea of using sods of turf as edging. Maybe you could even get sundews to grow there. I look forward to progress reports.
tagwex

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2015 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fed up with puns GG? Or have you moved on to the more adult anagrams, just how many more can you make of tagwex, it has been noted that you have occasionally changed a letter to suit your end............

vulkan
Rank attained: Rowan Tree

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2015 3:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good guy wrote:
Dear things, water gardens! .

You can say that again.

Often people think its cheap just because its a hole in the ground with a bit of plastic, a pump and water............if only they knew what really goes into construction, money wise.

Sue Deacon

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2015 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just been looking on Amazon at a Tetra waterfall filter. It seems to be ideal for what I want and should fit nicely in amongst the rocks. The price, 86.00 (free UK delivery) seemed OK too.

I know I could probably make a filter cheaper. But this has a nice, sturdy looking spillway.

Does that seem a good buy?
vulkan

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2015 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you mean This one ?

If so, make sure you are aware of exactly what you are buying. Its a plastic bucket with a lip and a string bag, that's it.

If you read what others have written about it they do mention.........

Quote:
you could also use lava rocks for the biomedia bag that they provide
It does not mention the bio media, just the bag to hold it in

Quote:
this an my new 18 watt UV clarifier
There is NO uv mentioned, again the writer supplied his own UV

If you want to pay 86 for a bucket with a spout that is up to you. I wouldn't.

Sue Deacon

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2015 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep that's the one. I won't need a uv clarifier, but I read the reviews and am aware of what it doesn't have.

I may find better/cheaper, but until then it is in my 'Japanese' folder, along with a site that does Iris ensata and some lovely ferns. Very Happy

Thanks for your input. All comments gratefully received, even the barmy ones (mentioning no names). Laughing
tagwex

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2015 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meeeee? Little old me? How could you?

Would you not get Pond digger up there into nordie land as Good Guy calls it to do one of his skippy pumps or something else?

Sue Deacon

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whatever makes you think I was talking about you? Laughing

Pond digger's skippy (skippy?) pump would certainly be cheaper - we have most of the parts already (we save stuff that 'might come in handy' Rolling Eyes ) But I liked the idea of the spillway.

With money constraints we are used to making something from nothing - like the A Team or Blue Peter. You know the sort of thing, a nuclear reactor from 2 washing-up bottles and an egg box. It would be nice to have something purpose built for a change
Geranimojess

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tagwex wrote:
Meeeee? Little old me? How could you?

Now you have a Complex / Paranoia...better watch the oul' Ticker...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Water features in Ireland, including all aspects of water gardening. All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: