Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Hard landscaping in Ireland, Garden Features (Paths, Patios, Paving, Decking, Walls etc)

Green roofs

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next  
Most Recent Posts Christmas reading.
Last post: Greengage
2016 Vegetable quizz.
Last post: Greengage
At last! A garden joke. (except maybe it's not a joke!)
Last post: Sue Deacon
Skimmia seed wanted
Last post: Brendankearns

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
Good guy
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2015 5:49 am    Post subject: Green roofs Reply with quote

I'm wondering if anyone has any experience, professional or diy, of installing green roofs. I'm thinking of using one on a shed.
tagwex

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2015 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A bit more detail required please. What are your intentions?

This boy can really sing http://youtu.be/Dgv78D2duBE
ponddigger
Rank attained: Orchard owner

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2015 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi helped to build a little green roof on shed about 3 years ago, like in the photo. jack

RHS_PUB0001584_229923.jpg
 Description:
like the one we built
 Filesize:  70.45 KB
 Viewed:  3922 Time(s)

RHS_PUB0001584_229923.jpg

Good guy

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2015 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Goodness me, Wagtex, the last person to enquire as to my intentions was the father of my girlfriend, circa 1967! He didn't trust me, you see. Was he right? You'd have to ask her to find out!
Seriously, though, something a bit like what Pondigger has shown would fit my bill. What about leaves from nearby trees? Would they raise fertility on decomposition? Smother small sedums?
This is only a notion at present. I don't have any intentions, honourable or otherwise, yet.
tagwex

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2015 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Always thought you were a bit shady. Going out for the night, to see the musical Chess very shortly. Will give it some consideration tomorrow. First thought though is weight. Is the shed roof strong enough to take it? Soil weighs 1.8 tonnes per cubic meter. I know that much will keep you bemused until at least tomorrow!

Good guy

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2015 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm assuming that green roofs grow on a medium other than ordinary soil, but as I haven't done any research yet and I'm going for the easy option of picking other people's brains.........
I hope you enjoyed your night out. Right now, I'm cooking dinner for in-laws: Spring Lamb with a trio of onions, white beans with herbs and creme fraiche, carrots and bruitin. Messrs M&S have supplied dessert. Time to baste the lamb!
tagwex

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2015 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"The easy option".... says he with disbelief in his voice. A man of your green fingered knowledge and basically you are winging it? Do these in-laws trust you? Which part makes up the trio? Chess was OK, have seen better light opera, but this one was largely singing all the way so hard to follow the story line. Not knocking the quality in any way because Wexford puts on the BEST musicals in the country (especially when my sons are in it hee hee). Sister Act last year was excellent.

Good guy

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2015 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I might have been winging it but the lamb was legging it.
All was delicious, needless to say, and the in-laws have been sheparded home, contented, licking their lips. The trio refers to the leeks, onions and shallots which are roasted around the meat.
tagwex

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2015 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So what does the shed you are thinking of consist of? It is all down to weight. What slope is on it? Do you require a moisture retention layer, root barrier or drainage? Is there upstands on this roof already? Come on bad gut, more info........

Good guy

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2015 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
This is only a notion at present. I don't have any intentions, honourable or otherwise, yet.

THERE IS NO SHED (yet).
tagwex

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2015 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I give up, you try to help a man out in his hour of need and he doesn't even have a shed....................

Blowin

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now that 'the girls' have had their little spat, as Tagwex says, soil is very heavy and to make it reasonable drought proof you'd probably need quite a bit of it. One question is whether the object is to create a look or to provide some sort of ecosystem for flowers etc.

You may like to consider a false turf roof to look good without maintenance, but create a 'green' wall(s)? I know there are building blocks that have, on one side, a sort of swallows nest shape that can be filled with soil/compost. By staggering them in the normal manner, it's possible to have a complete wall of greenery/flowers that can be watered easily from ground level and can be varied seasonally or whatever. The whole wall doesn't have to be built this way. Maybe one here and there.

tagwex

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Girls?
I didn't notice any of the women on this thread yet throwing in their tuppence worth yet.
I like the idea of those blocks/nests though. Haven't heard of them before.

Blowin

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you and GG get together it always seems like Handbags at dawn. Anyway, there is a more temporary version at www.plantsonwalls.com but I haven't found the more permanent ones yet on my browse.
tagwex

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahhh entertainment for the rest of you!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Hard landscaping in Ireland, Garden Features (Paths, Patios, Paving, Decking, Walls etc) All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: