Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Shrubs in Ireland ... Hedging in Ireland

Grass cuttings as a hedge mulch?

Most Recent Posts At last! A garden joke. (except maybe it's not a joke!)
Last post: kindredspirit
funny
Last post: tagwex
2016 Vegetable quizz.
Last post: tagwex
oops
Last post: Margo

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
caferacer
Rank attained: Hazel Tree
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 10:58 am    Post subject: Grass cuttings as a hedge mulch? Reply with quote

Are grass cuttings suitable as a mulch for a hedge(Escallonia Iveyii/Macrantha and Privet)?I have a half acre site and usually compost the cuttings but can they be used to keep the weeds down on my hedges?If so how often?I hear so many conflicting opinions....
Good guy
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

By all means use the clippings this way BUT don't get the closer than 2" to the stems of the plants or the heat of decomposition might 'burn' the hedge plants or you could cause fungal diseases. I have often used grass clippings in this way - last year I mulched my runner beans and courgettes with them, to conserve water as much as to stop weeds. As for how often to mulch with them, use common sense - you don't want the mulch to reach the lowest branches.
James Kilkelly

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Similar answer from myself...

Grass clippings can be used for weed control at the base of your hedges, whilst retaining moisture and adding organic matter/nutrients to the soil.
For best results spread no more than an inch or two depth of weed free clippings at the base of the hedge, avoiding its main stems. Do not add any more clippings until the previous batch has broken down.

I wrote a piece on the topic before...... Click this.. What to do with grass clippings in Ireland.

http://www.allotments.ie/ Ireland's allotments.
On Twitter... http://twitter.com/Allotments

Garden Consultation & Design.

Try my Garden Design home study course!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Shrubs in Ireland ... Hedging in Ireland All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: