Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Garden planning, prep and landscape design in Ireland

Help deciding on flowerbed shape

Goto page 1, 2  Next  
Most Recent Posts Ploughing
Last post: Good guy
Sticky: How can we improve the Irish gardeners forum?
Last post: tagwex
At last! A garden joke. (except maybe it's not a joke!)
Last post: tagwex
Veg in Modules
Last post: Good guy

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
spiracles
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 5:45 pm    Post subject: Help deciding on flowerbed shape Reply with quote

Hi. I am helping start a flowerbed and need to settle on shape. (No sod to remove, the lawn is not down yet)

Need to incorporate a curved flowerbed in the corner of the lawn.

Here is a sketch of the area, and the flowerbed which I need to incorporate:

I am wondering how I can extend from this bed to the other corner and make it look good.

I have provided sketches of some options.

A

B

C

D

E

I would love some advice as to what would look the best.

Thanks
kindredspirit
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

C.
A little garden in Co. Limerick.Some non-gardening photographs.
tagwex

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello and welcome aboard. More info needed before the true gardeners can advise you (I am not in that group!). Which way is north? What height are the fences? Which parts of the garden are in shadow due to trees or buildings etc.? Soil type? Coastal or inland? Dimensions? A picture (photo) paints a thousand words.

And just out of interest what programme does that sketch/drawing?

You should read through a thread entitled 'Planning a perrenial garden' in the 'Garden planning, prep and landscape design in Ireland' section. It is a good read and I have to say congratulations to Nozebleed as he kept us informed all the way through with his project and we could all share his enthusiasm through all the stages as he didn't just come on board for the quick advice and disappear forever as many others have done. It is nice for the regulars to see how the work comes along and a garden created after putting in the time to help out.

This boy can really sing http://youtu.be/Dgv78D2duBE
spiracles

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, thanks. Tomorrow I will add a picture.

The fence is around three foot. There seems to be full sun on the lawn as there are no high trees blocking the sun on the South side. Only shadow seems to be from the stakes of the fence. The soil is decent enough shape as it was prepared for a lawn and then a few feet down there is clay soil.

Location, Co. Limerick.

Tomorrow I will get proper dimensions.

By the way, I just drew the sketch (pen tool and rectangle shapes) in Photoshop CS5.

Thanks
Good guy

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello, Spiracles. It is good to see a new member looking for a hand.
One thing to bear in mind when designing a lawn/bed combination is the need for maintenance. Be sure that the edge of the lawn is easy to follow with a mower - that it doesn't require awkward stops and starts or tricky manoeuvres. It is useful, at the planning stage, to think about what happens where the lawn meets the wall or fence, too. Good planning now can save a lot of fiddly work later.
I look forward to seeing how things develop.
spiracles

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are some photos

May reconsider extending bed to opposite corner as the distance is quite large.

View from East:

South:

North:

Good guy

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a big piece of garden! And although it looks very exposed and laks shelter, there is a great view. Now that we have a better idea of scale and location (I, for one, assumed a smaller suburban plot, from your sketches) we are in a better position to offer useful information.
The first things I'd consider are:
Where is north?
Where does the wind blow from?
Which parts of the garden are prominent from the kitchen, sitting room, etc
Where do you want to include a distant view?
Where do you need to ensure privacy?
Where are your points of access to the site as a whole and to the house, outbuildings?
What dedicated spaces are needed - play, storage, parking, utilities.
Having established answers to these questions I'd start sketching out various alternatives, but freehand. I find using a computer early on can inhibit idea generation as you will tend to go for what is easy to do on a computer, rather than for a fresh idea.
I think shelter from wind will be an early priority in that garden.
Hope this is of use to you.
tagwex

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought it was a small suburban plot too, just goes to show huh? Whole new ball game now.

spiracles

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The first things I'd consider are:
Where is north?
Where does the wind blow from?
Which parts of the garden are prominent from the kitchen, sitting room, etc
Where do you want to include a distant view?
Where do you need to ensure privacy?
Where are your points of access to the site as a whole and to the house, outbuildings?
What dedicated spaces are needed - play, storage, parking, utilities.

Thanks, those are some good questions to consider.

The wind mainly seems to be strongest coming in from the west. Privacy is not a concern and point of access is further east from the area shown in the picture.

I am starting from the basis of a flowerbed beginning in the corner of the fence and extending to around half way along the westerly fence. I'm thinking some kind of curved shape but am not sure what would look best
kindredspirit

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those photos change the whole scenario. I had thought it was a small suburban space too.

I wouldn't be thinking of just flower beds in that situation now. My mind would be running rampart with other ideas. Smile What size is it? i.e. how many strides one way and how many strides the other? Have you considered other things besides grass and flower beds? You've done a good job on harrowing it by the way.

A little garden in Co. Limerick.Some non-gardening photographs.
tagwex

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think your directions might be out and contradictory. In your second sketch in your first post I think the ESB/tel pole is in the flower bed quadrant. This would then make the orange arrow in your second post pointing north and taken from the south direction. In your photos, the first says looking from east but is of course looking in a westerly direction. Similarly, the one labelled south is looking north, and the converse for the third photo. It all works for the shadows anyway.
Can you give us some clues as to your personal preferences as you must have some. Trees and what size maximum, maybe hedging, a rockery feature, is the soil to stay level or do you want it raised in places, shrubs, all flowers, favourite colours, all year round interest or seasonal. Answers to these will help to narrow down the choices.

spiracles

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tagwex wrote:
In your second sketch in your first post I think the ESB/tel pole is in the flower bed quadrant. This would then make the orange arrow in your second post pointing north and taken from the south direction.

You're right, I seem to have made a right mess of it. The orange arrow in my second post is coming from the south and pointing North.

Quote:
The first says looking from east but is of course looking in a westerly direction.

Yes, it is looking West

Quote:

The one labelled south is looking north, and the converse for the third photo. It all works for the shadows anyway.

Again, this is true, I will adjust now.

Looking West:

Looking North

Looking South

Quote:
Can you give us some clues as to your personal preferences as you must have some. Trees and what size maximum, maybe hedging, a rockery feature, is the soil to stay level or do you want it raised in places, shrubs, all flowers, favourite colours, all year round interest or seasonal. Answers to these will help to narrow down the choices.

Unfortunately cannot plant trees as there is a nice view plus some trees had to come down due to interferences with signals and the like.

Ideally, would like some small to medium sized shrubs/hedging no taller than the fence, as well as a mixture of flowers providing all year round interest. Personally love Forsythia and Burning Bush, as well as things like Creeping Thyme, Rhododendrons.

Would like a nice mixture of reds, blues, orange, yellow. Although to be honest not very strict about a certain theme or scheme, any nice mixture of bright colours would be nice. I would welcome someone else's design ideas here

Can't raise the soil for drainage reasons

kindredspirit wrote:
You've done a good job on harrowing it by the way.

I wish I could take credit for this.
tippben
Rank attained: Vegetable garden tender

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As for the basic design, I'd go for option B, but modified. Basically bottom half lawn, top half beds. instead of sharp scallops, difficult to mow, I'd go for a long shallow arc, and create paths to demarcate beds, and so you can access the beds easily.

Where are you intending to put the composting area? Beds of any kind will need a good bit, and you'll have lots of garden waste to get rid of....
Good guy

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll say it again: freehand sketching, more or less to scale, is the way to go when generating ideas. It is more flexible than CAD and more amenable to changes made 'on the hoof'. CAD is then great for producing final drawings, where the precision is very useful and where iterations can can be readily developed. But first you need to work out the general ideas.
tagwex

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another idea which Good Guy just prompted out of me. Get a bag of sand or lime and sketch on the ground with that until you feel comfortable with what you see and like the shape. Mark out paths, washing line, compost bin, play areas etc.etc.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Garden planning, prep and landscape design in Ireland All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: