Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Irelands Garden tools / equipment. (mowers, glasshouses & polytunnels etc).

Greenhouse foundations

Most Recent Posts funny
Last post: tagwex
2016 Vegetable quizz.
Last post: tagwex
At last! A garden joke. (except maybe it's not a joke!)
Last post: kindredspirit
oops
Last post: Margo

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
Brendankearns
Rank attained: Rowan Tree

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 9:27 pm    Post subject: Greenhouse foundations Reply with quote

Just bought a 10x6 greenhouse and now need to build the foundations. Site is windy so want to attach it to blocks/concrete on the ground. Anyone got advice before I start this project? I would appreciate any help.
ian
Rank attained: Ash Tree

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there a base rail with the greenhouse? Or is it sitting directly on the ground ?
If you have a 4 inch base rail you can put U shaped rebar through it and set it in a 2 ft square slab, pour a slab for each corner. Good luck with it.
Brendankearns

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the response Ian. No base rail so was planning on putting the house directly on blocks and screwing them together. Would I be better buying a base rail and doing what you say? Just want to make sure after the cost of the house the wind doesn't wreck it 😃
AJ

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I did was I poured a strip foundation, laid standard blocks all the way around, I then screwed treated timber to the top of the blocks, drilled holes in the sill of the greenhouse and screwed the greenhouse to the timber. Unmoveable.
The reason I put it on top of blocks was, I wanted to get a little extra height and like yourself didnt have a base rail, which to me doesnt matter because you are still going to have to secure it anyway. Problem, on a windy site you would think by taking the glass out over winter you are doing the right thing, well I did. Fatal mistake, the wind buckled the frame, but then if I had left the glass in it would most definately have wrecked it anywayl. So no more green house, working on a polytunnel at the moment. Very Happy

Brendankearns

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great response AJ, appreciate this post as it helps a lot with my tomorrow plan 🙈. Thank you
tagwex
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I laid blocks on a sand base. Treated timber on top of the blocks and got some galvanised lateral restraint straps cut at 300 mm long and screwed them together. The bottom rail of the greenhouse has 12 holes in it so i put coach screws through that into the timber. Solid as a rock.

This boy can really sing http://youtu.be/Dgv78D2duBE
Brendankearns

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brilliant post Tagwex, this helps me a lot. Off to the hardware store and then I'm ready for this....

True lot appreciate all the help people, thank you
tagwex
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm quare good at this......

This boy can really sing http://youtu.be/Dgv78D2duBE
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Irelands Garden tools / equipment. (mowers, glasshouses & polytunnels etc). All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: