Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Irish Wildlife, Irish Wild flowers and nature gardening.

Beautiful Red Squirrel in my garden

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next  
Most Recent Posts Christmas reading.
Last post: Greengage
2016 Vegetable quizz.
Last post: Greengage
At last! A garden joke. (except maybe it's not a joke!)
Last post: Sue Deacon
Skimmia seed wanted
Last post: Brendankearns

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
Sunflower
Rank attained: Hawthorn Tree

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 8:41 pm    Post subject: Beautiful Red Squirrel in my garden Reply with quote

We had the most beautiful visitor one afternoon last week - a red squirrel who scampered along our front wall and disappeared into the trees along the side of the house. He took his time, I had a good look at him and he def wasn't something else.

We live close to Kilcornan in Clarinbridge where they're often seen Galway yet this is the first time I've seen one so close - and v chilled out too!

Anybody else have any experience with them - I'd love to see more of them and I def don't see them as vermin as some do.

One neighbour suggested they're after the bird food but there's a lazy labrador who keeps watch there. He barks at the bigger birds so I'm sure a squirrel would send him nuts Very Happy
Good guy
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've only seen red squirrels three times in my whole life. The first time was at primary school near Enniskillen; there was a wood close to the school and one day I saw a squirrel running up to a high branch on a beech tree.
The second time was in the late 60s, early one morning when I was walking down the pedestrian ramp to Highgate tube statio in London. There was one sitting, cool as you like, on the bank, waiting for titbits.
The third time was a few years ago in Ards Forest Park in Donegal. They are beautiful little creatures.
tagwex

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are rare indeed. The greys have decimated them. Interesting story to how the greys were introduced here. Not 100% sure of the facts but here is what I remember. An Earl brought a basket of them to Meath for a wedding present and they got loose Two or three centuries ago. Look it up yourselves.

This boy can really sing http://youtu.be/Dgv78D2duBE
medieval knievel

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think it's not that long ago - only about 100 years ago; i've heard it's the only invasive species introduction which was caught on camera.

there's good news for the reds with the resurgence of pine marten numbers though - worth looking up.
tagwex

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would have to wonder whether a pine marten cares whether it eats a red or a grey or is it purely a percentages thing?

tagwex

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dug the following out of somewhere.

Grey squirrels are an alien species, originally came from the forests of eastern North America, that were introduced into Ireland in 1911 to Castle Forbes in Co. Longford, (ďa wicker hamper containing 8 or 12 squirrels, a wedding present from the Duke of Buckingham to one of the daughters of the house, was opened on the lawn after the wedding breakfast, whereupon the bushy tailed creatures quickly leapt out and scampered off into the woods where they went forth and multipliedĒ) and sadly, their success has been to the detriment of our native red squirrels. At present they are found mostly in the eastern and northern parts of the country, having colonised 20 counties, with the river Shannon providing some kind of obstacle for their progress into the west of the country.

medieval knievel

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tagwex wrote:
I would have to wonder whether a pine marten cares whether it eats a red or a grey or is it purely a percentages thing?

greys would typically spend more time on the ground than reds, and are heavier too - so they're more easily predated/scared away from their haunts, and even if a pine marten did get up into the trees, the reds being lighter are able to get out onto branches the pine martens can't follow them onto.
kindredspirit

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never seen a Pine Marten. Sad
A little garden in Co. Limerick.Some non-gardening photographs.
Good guy

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw a pine marten once, near Doolin.
As for the squirrels, I think Wagtex is moving in the right direction (for once). I don't think its a matter of predation by pine martens that holds back the greys, so much as competition for a similar piece of the ecosystem.
tagwex

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you agreeing with me AGAIN bad yug? Wonders will never cease! Anyways that wasn't the point I was making but MK may have made a good point about the greys spending more time on the ground.

Blowin
Rank attained: Orchard owner

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 5:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did see a red about six years ago in the fir woods behind Gougane Barra but understand most of the trees were cleared to prevent a (tree) disease spreading. So, whether or not they've survived, I don't know.

Mercifully, coming from a land where they're everywhere, I haven't seen a grey since arriving in West Cork in 2007. The UK term for the greys is American Tree Rat!

tagwex

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well they are a rodent after all. Regularly see greys around here.

Sunflower

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

had a chat with another neighbour who's been here for over 20yrs and he said he used to see loads of them but not so many of late.
When he does it's usually walking his dog through the woods, not so much around here so I feel lucky to have seen it - hope I don't have to wait 20yrs for my next sighting.
We're a loud group when walking in woods with 3 little kids who don't understand the concept of quiet - I won't spot too many with them...they've heard us well before that!
tagwex

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2015 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spotted a young red this morning in a wood. Who should I report the sighting to?

Good guy

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2015 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Biodiversity Ireland collates all records. They are only up the road from you - next county.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Irish Wildlife, Irish Wild flowers and nature gardening. All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: