Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Irish Trees & other trees grown in Ireland

Help - need transplant cherry blossom in bloom this weekend!

Goto page Previous  1, 2  
Most Recent Posts Brexit
Last post: Blowin
Garden Visits.
Last post: tagwex
Is planting a laurel hedge bad for Irish Environment
Last post: tagwex
What are you planting now?
Last post: Greengage

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
Sue Deacon
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2015 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've re-read your thread. Am I right in thinking you have moved this tree to a smaller space? This Cherry is a BIG tree and usually grows very wide. If you are going to have to keep pruning it to fit (and you say it is near the drive) it will look awful. Also cherries do not take well to pruning. As well as looking odd, they are left open to disease.

I think Good guy and tippen are right and youshould be thinking about replacing this tree.

If you really want a cherry, there are other, smaller varieties. P. 'Pandora' is a small tree with loads of flowers in Spring and good Autumn colour. Or the Mountain Ash/Rowan also has blossom, colour and fruit (if the birds leave them alone)

It's a shame about your cherry tree - I hate to 'waste' plants like that. Is there anywhere else it might go? I have a friend who moved a Norway Maple twice (in 5 years) before she was happy with it!
Sunflower
Rank attained: Hawthorn Tree
Rank attained: Hawthorn Tree

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Sue,

No the cherry is now in another spot, not too sure how long it will last there as sun not great but will see. I had thought of putting it near driveway, it had originally been in a spot that's now being given up to parking so had wanted keep it around there but was going be too much work in long term so time for plan b.
We're keeping an established hedge and border there mostly so it's not all bad but the work on the driveway will be another few weeks and I'll plant something new during the summer. It's a sunny and sheltered corner and there's room for something nice...but only one I'm afraid!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Irish Trees & other trees grown in Ireland All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: