Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Vegetable growing, fruit and allotments in Ireland

Pepper tips please!

Most Recent Posts 2016 Vegetable quizz.
Last post: Greengage
At last! A garden joke. (except maybe it's not a joke!)
Last post: Sue Deacon
Skimmia seed wanted
Last post: Brendankearns
funny
Last post: tagwex

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
tippben
Rank attained: Vegetable garden tender

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 3:31 pm    Post subject: Pepper tips please! Reply with quote

I have tried growing bought sweet peppers (from Homebase) in my unheated polytunnel, with no success.

This year, I bought some seeds of "Lipstick Pepper" from Seed Savers in the hope of better results. I'm starting them off in John Innes seed sowing compost, on a heat mat. Then they will be hardened off, and transplanted in my unheated tunnel.

Any advice? (regular users, don't say "move!" you know who you are! :) Pots, or in the beds? If pots, what growing medium/pot size?
robbie checker
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had good success growing them in 10 litre chicken pellet buckets using compost in my unheated polytunnel. They didn't do well at all in the ground. They must be warmer in the buckets when they are above the ground. Although they are usually pushed into the sides of the tunnel behind melons and probably don't get their fair space. Chilli peppers done better for me last year but the Denver Sweet peppers also done well as recommended by Nicky Kyle.
tagwex
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moi??? That was directed at Good Guy one night. Sure wouldn't anyone in their right mind want to move out of Donegal with its 2" of topsoil at most?

This boy can really sing http://youtu.be/Dgv78D2duBE
tippben

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depends mate. Some bloody good musicians up that way. Anyway. How do you think I should approach my peppers? :P
tagwex
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't really help you Tippben. Sown a few from seed two weeks back for the first time. Sweet and chilli peppers in the greenhouse so we will have to compare notes later in the year.

This boy can really sing http://youtu.be/Dgv78D2duBE
tippben

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robbie, how did you support the plants? A stick, or strings tied to the roof? In a 10L, did you find you had to water and feed more often? That wouldn't take long to dry out. Worth sitting them in a tray of water, or do they grow better when a bit stressed and want to get their genes out?
robbie checker

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a small bamboo in each bucket which I tied them to as they didn't grow too tall. Fed them with tomato food once a week and watered them when needed. As I was using multi purpose compost, the watering wasn't too bad even though they were in the sides of the tunnel. You could sit them in tray of water assuming you would drill holes in the bottoms of the buckets for drainage. I am having trouble germinating somd of my chilli peppers this year. The seed are a few years old so I am going to use the kitchen paper method at this stage to see if I can germinate a couple.
tunnelsofhens10
Rank attained: Rowan Tree
Rank attained: Rowan Tree

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tippen, for what its worth, I grew chilli peppers and sweet peppers in the pollytunnel every year (Started them off on a heat mat) and transfered them to the tunnel end of May. I always used fresh seed, don"t know if this makes a difference. At the moment have enough dried chilli peppers to last a lifetime! Always grew them in growbags (one to each) stuck a supported cane in each and tied string around each plant as it grew. Beware of cross pollination. Would"nt say say my sweet peppers were a great success. Always under attack from something.I won"t use spray near tomatoes. Reckon Aidi or Lidil at 40cent for three will have to fill a gap.
tippben

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everybody! They have germinated! No true leaves yet. Out in the tunnel, as we don't have sufficient light or heat in the house. Did harden them off by bringing them inside at night for a week.

I think I'll try the pot method, but on top of soil so the roots can go further if they like, as we have a small tunnel, and would then have the option of moving the plants if needed.

I did work in a commercial pepper house for a while. They are grown in rockwool bags, irrigated with feed added, and grown up strings. However, they were in the biggest glasshouse complex in Europe. Temperatures there exceeded 32 degrees every day during the cropping season.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Vegetable growing, fruit and allotments in Ireland All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: