Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Garden planning, prep and landscape design in Ireland

Back wall dilemma

Most Recent Posts funny
Last post: Sue Deacon
2016 Vegetable quizz.
Last post: Sue Deacon
oops
Last post: Margo
Skimmia seed wanted
Last post: Brendankearns

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
jethrothe2nd
Rank attained: Hazel Tree
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 2:59 pm    Post subject: Back wall dilemma Reply with quote

Hi all

We are about to have a whole heap of work done in our garden, and one of the things we have been struggling to make a decision on is how we best make the back wall more aesthetically pleasing, and also do something with it that provides a bit more privacy.

I have attached a picture so you can see what it looks like now, and you can see that the houses behind us have been built at a higher level than ours.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/qkwpbwderngzvvq/2015-03-07%2010.30.53.jpg?dl=0

(aplogies - this is a link to the picture on dropbox - I did try to upload the picture as an attachment from my desktop but for some reason it is not working)

Part of what we are planning to do is to remove all the shrubs and bushes that are currently there, and on the left side, as you look at the pictures we will have a raised flower bed running the length of the garden which curves around at the top to meet the shed. We had been considering planting bamboo against the wall, but from what I have read this may be difficult to keep control of. The only other option we can think of is trellis and some sort of climber.

If anyone has any ideas/suggestions they would be really appreciated.

Thanks
kindredspirit
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bamboo would be nice if either, a) you dig a strong root barrier into the area or b) buy a clumping variety, such as Fargesia.

Another alternative would be Photinia Red Robin. Make up a rich tilth with manure, leaf mould or somesuch and it'll take off like a rocket. Evergreen, so it'll give privacy in the winter as well. Planting it close together won't do it any harm.

A little garden in Co. Limerick.Some non-gardening photographs.
James Kilkelly

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good colour from Kindredspirit there.

One possible option to take on the lok of the bamboo, but without the running root problem is Salix viminalis (Common Osier Willow).
This is the basket making willow whose narrow leaves flutter in the lightest breeze.
It is extremely quick growing and will shoot right up over the wall to give you closure, yet it is soft enough to make pruning easy in relation to size control.
In relation to privacy though I will say that it is leafless over winter albeit with a mass of upright stems left.

http://www.allotments.ie/ Ireland's allotments.
On Twitter... http://twitter.com/Allotments

Garden Consultation & Design.

Try my Garden Design home study course!
tagwex
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the forum Jethro. Good luck with the transformation.

This boy can really sing http://youtu.be/Dgv78D2duBE
Blowin
Rank attained: Orchard owner

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 5:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Morning, Jethro! The people with plant knowledge will give you plenty to choose from no doubt, but you have mentioned trellis and, if you go that route, the last thing you'll want is to find yourself with a fine, mature barrier of attractive vegetation - but rotten supports that'll need replacing with all the disruption that entails.

To avoid that situation, if you have a plastic fencing stockist/contractor near you, they should be able to supply you with lengths of the material they use for intermediate and corner posts. I've got two such pieces in a dark brown colour that, amongst climbing plants, would blend in nicely in your garden. I use mine for runner bean supports but they'd do just as well in your situation? Plastic trellis will be available on line or in your local garden centre to finish the job on a pretty permanent basis. Good luck with it.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Garden planning, prep and landscape design in Ireland All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: