Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Irish Lawns and grass care

Advice on ensuring adequate drainage before laying turf

Goto page 1, 2  Next  
Most Recent Posts ...What did you do Today...
Last post: tagwex
Pines and topiary.
Last post: Sue Deacon
Turning my lawn into a woodland.
Last post: Darwin.
A thousand bulbs
Last post: tagwex

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
greengiant
Rank attained: Hawthorn Tree

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 12:41 am    Post subject: Advice on ensuring adequate drainage before laying turf Reply with quote

Hi,

Been a while since I've been on here, nice to be back.

A couple of questions before I order and lay my new turf lawn.

The top soil is down, though not as good quality as I had hoped - the landscaper I hired to clear away the old lawn installed top soil with a good few small stones and twigs (I suspect its not the most suitable stuff for a new lawn) and to a depth of I'd say a couple of inches. I got another ton of better stuff & I think I may have about 4 inches now. My budget doesn't allow me to get more. Before I order & lay the turf I want to make sure there won't be a drainage problem and that the turfs will root. I have a bit of a slope on the site towards a soak away area. So, would it be a necessity to get some "rootzone" or mix in some sand or could I just go with what I already have? Ive bought some starter fertiliser and have borrowed a roller to heel in the soil am I correct in assuming I should rake in the fertiliser after I use the roller?!
Id be grateful for any advice.
tagwex
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm no expert in this area. But 2 things strike me. Topsoil at 4" is not deep enough so once you lay that turf it is too late as I doubt it will be coming up again. Secondly, I would put a layer of sand down as it is easy to level it and it will even out those unsightly lumps and bumps.

This boy can really sing http://youtu.be/Dgv78D2duBE
Greengage

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would also use some sand to level out the bumps but not limy sand if you can get the stuff they use on golf course bunkers it would be best.
greengiant

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies. 4" of top soil, I gather, is the accepted minimum.
tagwex

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Presuming that is not a compacted 4". So then what will you be down to? My motto is do it once and do it right. No matter what it takes. Nothing worse than having to do making good repairs somewhere down the line. Look back through the threads as I cannot remember what it was called but there was a man on who had to dig up his lawn after 2 years and start all over again. He was on approx. 2 months ago.

greengiant

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, not a compacted 4 inches - 4 inches of brought-in topsoil. Not planning on digging it up in 2 years.
tagwex

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My point was that it will compact unless you have thoroughly rolled it. The other guy thought that too but up it came. Check back on the posts.

greengiant

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I rolled it today, not too thoroughly though as that's what would compact it. What was it that the other guy thought too?? I looked back on the posts, couldn't find him.
tagwex

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

greengiant wrote:
Not planning on digging it up in 2 years.

That is what he thought!!!!

greengiant

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, well it's good to know that you could see inside the guy's head and know what he thought but to me what he thought is of no interest. In fairness to you though you were right about one thing - you're no expert in this area.
tagwex

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smart comments like that won't get you very far on here. I am only trying to help and have just spent the last half hour or so going back over old threads back to Jan 1st in order to help you more which I won't be doing any more, by trying to locate that particular thread. I don't see many others helping you out and I very much doubt if any of the regulars here will after reading that. It is not a matter of knowing what was in that persons head. He quite clearly stated that he didn't prepare his lawn area enough and it turned out so bad that it had to be redone two years later as I remember it. I hope yours turns out as even as the Himalayas and has every weed known to mankind deeply rooted in it.

greengiant

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well that's me told off. For your information, I have prepared my lawn with no small amount of effort and time put in, unlike the guy in the nonexistent post. I never intimated in my post that i wasnt prerparing the lawn enough. "As even as the Himalayas", hmm now that would be quite an achievement, a definite contender for Bloom 2015. As for weeds, well I guess there's no keepin' them buggers at bay - all part of the joys of gardening. BTW your suggestion that nothing will grow on my 4" of topsoil, after I'd put in the graft of carefully installing it had too much of a put down air to it for my liking and that got me a bit riled. And now, I've missed the end of Missouri Breaks because of this - thanks.
tagwex

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is not a non-existent post I just cannot remember the persons username or the name of the thread.
Your lawn is hardly well prepared if it hasn't been compacted enough, stones and twigs fully removed (as per another thread), 4" minimum of topsoil after compaction and a layer of sand. I never said nor intimated that nothing would grow. And yes, it is hard to keep buggers at bay.

Greengage

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boys boys........... 2.05am you need to get your sleep tagwex relax.
tagwex

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Read it through again Greengage and tell me exactly what it was that I wrote that was wrong and while you are at it tell me who was trying to help who and who was being rude initially.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Irish Lawns and grass care All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: