Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Landscaping / Gardening Ireland, Overall discussion & Garden related News.

Help with Really Boggy waterlogged Ground

Goto page Previous  1, 2  
Most Recent Posts Brexit
Last post: Blowin
Garden Visits.
Last post: tagwex
Is planting a laurel hedge bad for Irish Environment
Last post: tagwex
What are you planting now?
Last post: Greengage

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
TMAK
Rank attained: Hawthorn Tree

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep it sure is bog.

My house is in a housing estate and so this is the only boundary that has access to land. Tagwex it's not quiet on stilts but the whole estate is built on about 10 feet of rock. Unless we are actually floating!!!

In fairness it has been a wet couple of weeks so it is extra bad in the photos it does dry out a good bit in the summer
tagwex
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As stated previously it is very hard for anyone here to give you the least expensive solution without seeing the place in person and studying the lie of the land. Get advice from local drainage contractors or a local civil engineer. Are the rest of the properties affected too, if so it could be a way of spreading the cost out? If it was your fathers land why didn't you pick the driest one or are all equally affected? The underlying rock could be and most likely is excaberating the problem. Roscommon AKA Venice!!!

This boy can really sing http://youtu.be/Dgv78D2duBE
TMAK

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agh the Venice of Ireland. Never thought I'd hear Roscommon described as that. None of the other houses are effected as the housing estate is approx 8 foot higher than this land. Th rock was all fill. The estate was built on the land neighbouring my fathers so I picked the one with access to dads land.
For now i guess I'll have to wait for it to dry up a bit first and then get the machines in.
I'll keep ye posted of any progress
tagwex

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there a stream close by that you can channel the water to?

TMAK

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi I was just reading back over this on a computer screen, amazing what you miss on the phone,
Thanks Greenage for the list of plants for wet soil, I may start sowing a bit of a shelter belt to start with,

Tagwex there is a Stream / large land drain across the field approx. 200m away I think im going to have to drain to that,
This is going to be a Fun job!!!!!!!

Im going to sit down over the weekend and plan exactly what I want out of the area. and start from there

Greengage

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a suggestion, when your draining you could have an open drain to one side with sloping sides, this could then become a habitat for frogs, newts, dragonflies etc.. you could also plant bull rushes and Flag irises and marsh marigold to landscape it with a native hedgerow behind it interspersed with hazel maybe plant them at the end which could be used as poles for beans and peas or making a fence in the garden.
TMAK

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greengage, I don't know how you did that but you just made an open drain sound very appealing....

I Know I said earlier that I didn't want a pond for safety reasons but I was just thinking I could fence it off for a while until the little man gets some sense (whenever that will be, I wont be holding my breath!!!)

has anybody got any experience with a natural type pond, no liner just a hollow in the ground, it would more than likely dry up for some of the summer and flood again in the autumn. just leave it to nature really,

Or else a liner in the centre to hold some water but let it flood over it during wet periods. if the rest of the garden could be sloped to this area and an overflow drain to go across the field to a stream.

Sorry im rambling a bit, Just thinking aloud, I don't know if its even possible, any thoughts

tippben
Rank attained: Vegetable garden tender

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi TMAX, re natural ponds. A pond will develop anywhere where a depression is below the water table. If your bog remains wet all year round, then you can create a non-lined pond with a mini digger. If it dries out in summer, you can create a "scrape", which fills over the winter months, providing habitat for wading birds. You used to be able to get an EU grant for them.

You can make a pond anywhere by using puddled clay: essentially treading in very wet clay, and spreading it up the sides of the pond to a depth of six inches. I grew up on chalk, and this was how "dewponds" were constructed, to provide a year round water source for livestock. They don't actually fill from dew, but are carefully sited to take advantage of natural drainage catchment.
Greengage

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If Kim is watching this topic she has a natural pond and you could ask how they did it, lots of dragonflies and an Otter .
tagwex

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Must have been some PMs or an educational visit on a bike at some stage. I don't remember anything about this pond/otter being posted??? Orrrrr dare I say it, another forum, shhhhhhh.

Greengage

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never visited but saw it on telly once, hoping to get invited someday.
tagwex

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have a TV celebrity in our midst???

TMAK

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was just looking through my old post and had to update this on. We got a bit of drainage done some topsoil in and have been working away on the garden since. We have a lawn!!!
I canít believe itís the same place

DB103946-4783-45B8-A91D-39D3E499E938.jpeg
 Description:
 Filesize:  103.22 KB
 Viewed:  4022 Time(s)

DB103946-4783-45B8-A91D-39D3E499E938.jpeg

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Landscaping / Gardening Ireland, Overall discussion & Garden related News. All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: