Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Introduce yourself to the rest of the Irish gardeners

Hello, any allotments in or around Enniscorthy.

Goto page 1, 2  Next  
Most Recent Posts Christmas reading.
Last post: Greengage
2016 Vegetable quizz.
Last post: Greengage
At last! A garden joke. (except maybe it's not a joke!)
Last post: Sue Deacon
Skimmia seed wanted
Last post: Brendankearns

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
hoppylongsoxs
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 2:32 pm    Post subject: Hello, any allotments in or around Enniscorthy. Reply with quote

Hello Smile new to the forum so thought I would introduce myself.

I have always enjoyed gardening, but life over the last 7 years or so hasnt really given me the time to give it the attention I would like. Now my little ones are not quite so little and would actually like to help with stuff like the gardening I think its time to maybe dip a toe back in to the garden.

My backgarden is the size of a postage stamp so am embarking on trying to find an allotment locally (which is proving tricky Sad )

if anyone is in or around Enniscorthy and knows of any allotments all information would be gratefully received Smile
Greengage
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

welcome along,
tagwex

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahhhhhhhhh another Wexfordian. We can gang up on the rest of them now and out vote them! There is a couple of them that need taking down a peg or two!!! Sive is up in North wexford but she is from Dublin originally so I need all the help I can get!

This boy can really sing http://youtu.be/Dgv78D2duBE
Margo

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome from Mayo
tagwex

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I done a bit of digging around, excuse the pun, ohh Christ I am turning into Good Guy, and could only find this 6 year old newspaper article. Whether it actually came into being or not I do not know. You will have to ask around. I have no idea where it is. There are allotments in Ballygarret, Gorey, Barntown and Kilmore but all too far away from you. Your best bet would be to ask a local landowner/farmer for a corner of a field. Possibly someone who has a large garden and is not able to work it anymore or my last throw of the dice, ask a local school as they will have land and if you have the time then the students could help and learn as well.

'I LOOKED like I'd been in a fight with a bag of cats,' says Tom Larkin, with more than a trace of pride in his voice. Slash hook in hand, he has been (all too literally) at the cutting edge of a movement that is spreading round the country like wildfire.

Allotments. Not so very long ago, they were about as fashionable as one of Bertie's discarded anoraks. Now a combination of recession and the green agenda has started people thinking that growing their own vegetables would not only be tasty and economical but may also help to save the planet.

Enter Tom Larkin and his pals with their slash hooks. The Ballindaggin native is a member of the Wexford community allotments scheme, who are preparing to make thirty strips of land each about one hundred square metres in size - available for grow-your-own enthusiasts early in the new year. They have taken over an old wall garden on the outskirts of the town for the purpose.

Twenty years of total neglect had allowed the brambles which left Tom so bloodied to grow unchecked to monstrous height and density behind the rusty old stone walls. The larch hedges had also cut loose to create their own jungle. Now they have been chopped back into some sort of order to reveal a space tailor made for horticulture.

More a century ago, this acre or so of ground near the town's old hospital was the pride and joy of the Thompson family residing in the nearby big house. The new millennium explorers beating their way into the garden during recent months discovered reminders of their ould dacency as they hacked back the rampant overgrowth.

The remnants of two large glasshouses were found nestling up against the south facing wall. In the top corner traces of the old water tank that used to feed a network of old taps via underground piping are still in evidence. Many of the original apple trees may be dripping with lichen but they are still capable of bearing good fruit.

The Wexford community allotment scheme (http://growireland.net/wcas) is the brainchild of Tom Harpur and his horticulturalist buddy Jane Cloney. Their idea, first aired seven months ago, gained momentum when the owner of the walled garden let it be known that he would welcome allotment holders in what was then an overgrown wilderness. Since then a team of volunteers has set about the clearance work with a will, helped by equipment from local tool hire firms.

Tom Harpur says they have already had expressions of interest from at least thirty potential gardeners. Should demand outstrip supply, then they are already eyeing up an adjoining five acre field. The way the brains of behind the scheme have it planned, the emphasis will be on organic production and, if the finances add up, they will keep annual rent under the 100 mark. A cooperative spirit will be fostered, with virgin veg growers encouraged to take lessons from experts, and shared composting arrangements.

Meanwhile, in a more rural setting down Kilmore way, in the townland of Gallach, Ian Murphy of South East Allotments is fielding enquiries for his latest initiative. The queries are flowing in from Wexford folk, from Dubliners with holiday homes in the vicinity and even from a group training people with visual impairments.

Ian reckons that he will have no problem finding takers for all the plots being laid out in what was up to recently pasture land. Two acres have been set aside for the venture and likely price of an eighty square metre plot will be 250 a year. The scheme gives a modern twist to the ancient Irish land rental tradition of conacre. The promoters, of course, reckon that they are offering value for money.

'It is cheaper than playing golf,' points out Ian Murphy whose partner in the business is Adam Fleetwood. They have leases drawn up and ready to sign. They have had the expense of running a lane from the public roadway up to the site and they are also putting in a picnic and barbecue area so that their new tenants will be encouraged to relax as well as dig in Gallach. The name of the townland may be translated as 'full of stones' but they insist their piece of it has very good soil.

'Most people are looking to do it organic because it is food for their own plates,' says Ian. He and Adam come to the venture with plenty of genuine, muck-under-the-fingernails, firsthand experience of allotments. They have a plot of their own at Kilternan in Dublin where they produce potatoes, herb and carrots.

Ian's career path has been the perfect mirror of our times. Not so very long ago, he was a developer bringing houses in County Wexford to the booming property market. Now he has drastically amended his job description to become the contact man for South East Allotments - ring him at (086) 8302515.

tagwex

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been doing more digging. I think those allotments are to the rear of St. Senans Hospital or in the near vicinity. There is a country guest house called Salville House which I think is the 'big house' mentioned above formerly owned by Thompsons (05392 35252). They should know something. I have also found out where Tom Harpur lives.

tagwex

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do any of you ever get the feeling that you wonder why we bother helping some people out?

Greengage

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another one bites the dust, and that was a fair bit of research you did there and no thanks..... Crying or Very sad
tagwex

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahhh sh1t happens and you get used to it. In fairness the most of it was from a newspaper article.

James Kilkelly

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your help on this folks.
It's very disheartening when just a single introductory post is used for a query, it is replied to quite well, but nothing further is heard from the original poster.
I cannot get my head around it.

I suppose the info is up there now in place for someone else looking for allotments in Wexford so another new forum member might join having stumbled upon the post after googling it.

http://www.allotments.ie/ Ireland's allotments.
On Twitter... http://twitter.com/Allotments

Garden Consultation & Design.

Try my Garden Design home study course!
tagwex

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quite well???? I thought it was brilliant! !!

James Kilkelly

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Quite well???? I thought it was brilliant! !!

We'll see how brilliant you are when I put up the next "what am I" puzzle........ Razz

http://www.allotments.ie/ Ireland's allotments.
On Twitter... http://twitter.com/Allotments

Garden Consultation & Design.

Try my Garden Design home study course!
tagwex

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Going to have pass on that. Leaving for Kerry in the morning and a few forum free days. My mensa tested IQ is 147 you know.

hoppylongsoxs

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apologies for the delay in replying (and thanks for the mail wextag) - life has been a bit all over the place for the last while and finding an allotment got put to the back burner a bit.

Many thanks for all that research Wextag. I had read that artice but the website no longer has any details on it. I do know the patch of land it talks about so will give the phone number a ring once life settles down a bit.

I have been in touch with the enniscorthy town council but they were not able to provide any details and advised me maybe to try some of the parish councils. Again once life settles down a bit i will do some research into that.

in the meantime i am going to see what i can grow in my garden partly to get the satisfaction og at least growing something this year and partly to try and get my kids interested in growing!

Many thanks again for your help Smile much appreciated.
tagwex

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So where is that allotment site?
If you want veg this year you need to be getting on to it now instead of waiting a while.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Introduce yourself to the rest of the Irish gardeners All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: