Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Water features in Ireland, including all aspects of water gardening.

Claw foot bath pond

Most Recent Posts 2016 Vegetable quizz.
Last post: Greengage
At last! A garden joke. (except maybe it's not a joke!)
Last post: Sue Deacon
Skimmia seed wanted
Last post: Brendankearns
funny
Last post: tagwex

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
robineire
Rank attained: Hawthorn Tree

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 8:19 pm    Post subject: Claw foot bath pond Reply with quote

I have just landscaped an area in my garden, which I shall have to post a pic of as the explanation doesn't do it justice. Anyway, as is my wont, I used materials I had around, namely a claw foot bath some weed suppression fabric, my ex front door stones from an unneeded wall and pee gravel off my driveway that was a bit deep.

My question is, what water plants would flourish in a three quarter buried bath that will get afternoon sun. I have lots of big ponds on my property and hope to transplant the likes of water lilies using pond baskets. Also I would like to put in some fish and am thinking of creating a small waterfall effect, any advice would be appreciated.
kindredspirit
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could make the waterfall come out of two taps. That'd be good.

Waterlilies don't like splashing water.

A little garden in Co. Limerick.Some non-gardening photographs.
Blowin
Rank attained: Orchard owner

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My instinct says that a bath will be too deep for most normal pond plants so you may need to source some form of gadgetry, e.g. soap dishes, that are designed to clip on to the edges of a bath, in which you can plant small plants - there won't be room for big ones. Anything like water lilies that can grow in deep water will soon choke the whole thing and you'll then have to disrupt the whole ecosystem by taking them out to prune them.

As for fish, normal 'wild' species are designed not to be seen too easily from above. That gives them at least some protection from predators but also means you won't often see them either. Goldfish (plenty to choose from) are therefore the best candidates and a useful plant for them will be watercress which is the preferred species for many insects to lay eggs in and, thus, produce more. You'll still need to provide other food as well - and not bread! A fine net across the top will enable you to see the fish but will keep Jack o' the Bogs (Heron) away.

One final precaution is to install something that will thaw a small area of ice in winter if necessary. Plant life produces oxygen to aerate the water and this bubbles up to the surface, being absorbed by the water en route. When a film of ice forms across the pond, the oxygen can't escape so will produce a gap between water and ice. As fish use up what's already in the water, they'll then come to the surface to gulp air from this gap. If they stay there too long they become frozen in the ice and die. Finally, never never never smash the ice as this will send out huge vibrations that will bounce back off the sides and injure the fishes' balancing system which is based along their lateral line.

Good guy

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Floating plants like water soldiers would work and would provide cover for any fish, too. Mine aren't very vigorous but look well.
robineire

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 7:15 pm    Post subject: My outdoor bath Reply with quote

The area looks very uncared for but it was February when I took the pic, the bank behind gets covered in Montbretia and by July is a mass of orange and green.

The two red drums have been planted and more pots with herbs in them added to the door. I have dozens of tadpoles in the bath at the moment and put some Potamogeton polygonifolius out of one of my burns, in there for somewhere for them to hide along with rocks and some branches to let anything that falls in get out.
Good guy

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking good! I like the way the bath relates to the distant pond.
Have you thought about blocking the overflow and tap holes so as to raise the water level further? Maybe algae or marginals will grow over the enamel to disguise/soften it - or maybe you like it the way it is. A small lily will grow in 500 or 600mm of water and would provide shade for critters and look lovely.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Water features in Ireland, including all aspects of water gardening. All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: