Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Irish Trees & other trees grown in Ireland

Edible mid sized Cherry tree suggestion

Most Recent Posts funny
Last post: Margo
2016 Vegetable quizz.
Last post: Sue Deacon
oops
Last post: Margo
Skimmia seed wanted
Last post: Brendankearns

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
worded
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2015 9:10 pm    Post subject: Edible mid sized Cherry tree suggestion Reply with quote

Hi,

My first post here .........

Im looking for a Cherry Tree recommendation.

Requirements

1) Tasty cherries Smile

2) Mid sized - pref 3 meters approx. height and bushy.

Any suggestions?

Also - Will birds devour the lot or will I be left with at least half the produce? Im prepared to net the tree if necessary.

Thanks in advance.
Greengage
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2015 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dont know much about cherries but we had some in a nursery once Merello which I believe are sour to taste, Stella is a sweet variety, I would suspect we need very good weather to grow any of the others unfortunately we dont live on the Dordogne, You may have better luck with Plums anyway be interesting to see what other come up with.
worded

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2015 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greengage wrote:
Dont know much about cherries but we had some in a nursery once Merello which I believe are sour to taste, Stella is a sweet variety, I would suspect we need very good weather to grow any of the others unfortunately we dont live on the Dordogne, You may have better luck with Plums anyway be interesting to see what other come up with.

Thanks.

If they are sour I don't want to grow them.

Ive a sunny front garden and although it may be a bit unconventional I like cherries a lot and my little daughter is the same.

Hopefully there is some variety that will suit.

I cant end up with a huge tree though. Had to be mid sized.

Thanks.
worded

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2015 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a world of info on Cherry tree selection

http://www.ashridgetrees.co.uk/gardening-advice/fruit-tree-growing-guides/help-advice-buying-cherry-trees
Kim
Rank attained: Rowan Tree
Rank attained: Rowan Tree

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I need more advice with this than I can give. I have been trying with cherries and losing almost all to the birds. I imagined when I planted the trees that I would / could net them but they grew too big. I thought I would keep them pruned but life happens and also they need to be pruned in the summer so if you miss the window, it's another year gone. The trees I had/have seemed very vigorous.

I agree with greengage, plums are so much easier, and plums are Delicious fresh from the garden. Last year I found a dwarf cherry, I think it is Stella which is sweet and self-fertile and I have planted it in the polytunnel. We keep a net over the poly tunnel door in the summer so birds are kept out and I am hopeful that the dwarf cherry will work there.

We have loads of other fruit for the birds but they go for the cherries. Traditionally they are grown in the middle of a large field far from hedges so they are out of the flight path of birds. I believe a local grower was growing them in polytunnels covered with net rather than plastic but never saw for myself.

I'd be very interested in hearing of anyone's success with cherries. We are letting a couple of trees grow full size in a mixed fruit planting but it will be a few years before we see how they fare.

That all said, people wonder why we don't need to net our blackcurrants and raspberries and maybe it's because the birds are happy with the cherries!
Greengage

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

While looking for some info on Apple rootstocks i came across this site it may help with your cherry selections.
http://www.fruitandnut.ie/cherryvarieties.html

As for the apples i probably should link this to a thread on Apples,
http://www.fruitandnut.ie/rootstockinformation.html
http://www.fruitandnut.ie/applevarieties.html

Interesting site, bet everybody heard of it before bar me. Laughing
Qzy

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greengage wrote:
Interesting site, bet everybody heard of it before bar me. Laughing

Based in Westport, bought bare root trees from there a few years ago
Good guy

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried to buy from them in the autumn but got frustrated with availability/transport charges etc and gave up. It's a good site and I got good advice but I won't try to buy mail order from them again.
Maybe others have had better experiences.
Greengage

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK. The site had good info but was a bit suspicious of the orchard ,

"We are particularly interested in supporting the establishment of orchard projects with long-term strategic value in terms of local food security. We are currently providing technical assistance in the establishment of several commercial-scale cobnut orchards (each involving 600+ trees) and one walnut orchard of 100+ trees (probably the largest nut orchards ever to be planted in Ireland)."

I have never seen a ripe walnut in Ireland its not the Dordogne we live in. I also never heard of 300 year old fruiting nut trees in Ireland that would bring us back to 1715 and there wasn't much here then either. The county Palatine act of Tipperary was passed, This Act enabled the purchase by the crown of the Palatine Rights in the County Tipperary given to the Earls of Ormond, later Dukes of Ormonde, over the preceding centuries. Prior to the Act, the dukes appointed the sheriffs and judges of the county and owned certain revenues from the county which would otherwise have gone to the Crown. So says wikipedia
tippben
Rank attained: Vegetable garden tender

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stella is a good variety. It's down to which rootstock you pick though, not the variety of cherry : http://www.orangepippintrees.eu/articles/rootstocks-for-cherries
Good guy

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a great piece of video about planting and pruning top fruit from one of the masters: the much missed Geoffrey Smith:
http://youtu.be/0_ZSPCs8yTY

G Smith quote:
“Put the brown end in the soil, the green end above it, and you're in with a much better chance.”
DAH89

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have grafted cherries onto a new root stock this year. Small enough for a fruit cage, but has extra vigour. Good take rate of the grafts as well 8/9 on various varieties 2x Morello, 2x White Heart(Amber heart) 2x Early Rivers 1x Bigareau and 1x Sunburst

Weiroot 720 ® - Cherry Rootstock - Bare Rooted

Weiroot is a a Prunus cerasus L. selection, which is compatible with sweet and sour cherries. It is grows to approx 2m tall and is used in intensive greenhouse cherry production.

As for Fruitandnut in Westport I have been using them for years to get some of my rootstock for grafting and they have provided a great service, I am in Dublin and have not found the delivery cost excessive.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Irish Trees & other trees grown in Ireland All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: