Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Irish Trees & other trees grown in Ireland

The right tree

Most Recent Posts 2016 Vegetable quizz.
Last post: Greengage
At last! A garden joke. (except maybe it's not a joke!)
Last post: Sue Deacon
Skimmia seed wanted
Last post: Brendankearns
funny
Last post: tagwex

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
Breezy
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2015 9:40 am    Post subject: The right tree Reply with quote

Hi Folks,
A tree question as Iím a bit undecided and wondered if there is an answer that has evaded me. Some may know I am on clay acidic type soil, soggy much of the year but does not suffer drought in the summer so heavy and sodden to moist always. I am looking for a few feature trees for the wettest part of the garden as there is a low lying part in the south west corner. I dug a few holes intending to put in London Planes and Mountain Ash last Nov. and they filled with water overnight event though there was no rain and are still overflowing today. I planted them in a higher less sodden area and am hoping for the best. I have had the place drained last summer but it hasnít made a big difference as far as I can see. The area is a about 30 metres from my dwelling and 5 or 6 metres for the septic tank soak away so fearful of the root damage that will be caused by Silver Birch or a Weeping Willow type trees. I suspect there is a willow made for it but I havenít found it yet?
I am looking to plant a few trees in that area (approximately 150 sq metres) that will give some feature interest hopefully all year round, provide shelter (as itís the south west wind which is the most troublesome) corner where some of the wind comes from (we are at an altitude of 1000 feet, great views but lots of wind exposure). I have been on those web sites that match the trees to the site where you tick the relevant boxes and they tend to come up with Eucalyptus or Tuja pine. My garden centre who delivered some stuff had a look and says itís too wet for Eucalyptus. I am avoiding Sicus Spruce and Tuja as they are everywhere and I am intent on something with feature quality. Your thoughts would be appreciated. BW Donal
James Kilkelly

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2015 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would our native Black Alder (Alnus glutinosa) be interesting enough for you, Breezy?......... http://www.gardenplansireland.com/forum/about635.html

http://www.allotments.ie/ Ireland's allotments.
On Twitter... http://twitter.com/Allotments

Garden Consultation & Design.

Try my Garden Design home study course!
Breezy

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2015 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks James, I am probably being a little pedantic, have seen it in other places and its wild life friendly which meets one of my criteria so will not rule it out, the garden centre mentioned it in passing but he said not a 'feature tree' which put the damper on it but I will think about it. Perhaps one in combination with a few of the smaller willows? I think I need to man up and make a edcision for myself.
Greengage
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2015 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now if you want something interesting how about Metasequoia glyptostroboides or Taxodium distichum,( This would be my choice plant 5 if you have space) Gleditsia triacanthos , Betula nigra, all should be available from a good tree nursery.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Irish Trees & other trees grown in Ireland All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: