Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Vegetable growing, fruit and allotments in Ireland

The season Ahead.

Most Recent Posts funny
Last post: kindredspirit
Skimmia seed wanted
Last post: Brendankearns
At last! A garden joke. (except maybe it's not a joke!)
Last post: Ado 2
2016 Vegetable quizz.
Last post: Greengage

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
Greengage
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2015 1:26 pm    Post subject: The season Ahead. Reply with quote

This year planting Stuttgarter giant onions from seed rather than setts. Still have onions from last season kept them inside rather than the shed .Also planting Sharpes express and Aran pilot both earlies, All spuds from last season gone, Grew Kestrel really nice potatoe and lovely colour also grew Sarpo mira very big potatoes and blight resistant. Also going to try Sweet potatoes anyone ever grew them. .Garlic never does well for me always small cloves maybe its me or soil or wrong varieties, Carrotts ill try are Flyaway supposed to be resistant to carrot root fly. parsnips i think i have white gem.
have pruned my apple trees and Rhubarb looks like it is starting but i wont force it. Plan on buying Black currents this friday as gooseberries were decimated by saw fly, and a few other bits and pieces. If it remains good for weekend ill dig in the chicken manure and when time comes (17th March) ill plant the potatoes in small planting holes rather than drills, Would like to have a go at no dig but coulld be a bit of a fad and I cannot source large quantities of well rotted manure at moment, (Not true i could if i tried but too lazy).
Livestock hens are still laying, still hoping to raise chicks but that depends on a few things coming together, have the broody box pen in sit. As for the Bees thats still on cards, plan on starting course next month with local beekeepers but will remain quiet about trying TBH as i dont think they will approve of novice having a go, but national hives are on cards for my other site, once all the ducks are in a row and people accept were not getting Tigers that will attack them. Whats everyone else up to.
Good guy

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2015 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dug out my seed contatainers from the back of the fridge (old icecream tubs) and edited the contents yesterday, chucking out things that are past their date. I don't think I'm going to need too many new seeds this year, though I haven't decided yet what I wiil grow.
In the ground at the moment are leeks, garlic, spring cabbage, purple sprouting broccoli, kale and chard that has survived the frost. I have broad beans in pots ready to plant out and I sowed chillies in my new heated propagation yesterday. I know I'll grow courgettes, snap or sugar peas and runner beans and probably turnip, bok choi, carrots, beetroot, kohlrabi ..... I know I won't grow onions this year. Last year's didn't do that well and neither did they keep well. Might try shallots instead.
I think it's time to work out a planting plan!
Dirt Digger
Rank attained: Hawthorn Tree

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2015 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We put Marco and Germidour garlic in bed at end of last month, and we’ve sown some Bedfordshire Champion and Sturon onion seed in flats…we’ll pop some Stuttgarter and Karmen sets into modules this weekend - just to get them going under cover for a few weeks - and plant these out middle of next months. Next week or two we’ll sow some Derby Day, chit some earlies, and begin amending beds with some blood & bone meal/potash/lime in prep for planting in a couple of weeks time, by which time it will be a no-holds-barred full steam ahead dig sow and plantaton…
This weekend and next we’ll be busy however, planting 20 bare-root apple trees before it gets too late: we’ve taken delivery of these from Irish Seed Savers, whom I must say are as good as their word –ordered by phone on Wednesday at 11.00am, delivered next day at 10.00am; from Co Clare to North Dublin suburbs; damn fine service…
Mr. Green

Greengage

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2015 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why are you adding blood & bone meal/potash/lime to the soil, have you had a soil test done and got a reccomendation to add these.
Dirt Digger

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2015 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes we have gauged the soil; and no, not any particular recommendation; and why these particulars??? well that which is now our allotment garden with over 90 plots, was, for over 60 years, a rubble dumping yard used by Dublin Corporation (more lately) DCC for city wide rubble and road-works storage…
When cleared of all those decades of rubble and rubbish it was opened 4 years ago as an allotment garden with basic infrastructure in place and in fairness to DCC, they did a lot of cleaning and clearing, and building tool sheds and installing a water supply.
Truth however, was that the supposed growing medium was, well, just that, suppositional! And, as we all know, the most important part of any garden is the medium, which in this instance was challenging to say the least.
Collectively we’ve all spent a lot of time conditioning the dark brown ground area of each plot, but trust me, even with a couple of seasons of organic compost/manure applications, certain elements are and will still be lacking for some time yet. Hence, a little help with certain specifics in specific areas: FB&B in now in some of the beds, couple of weeks before planting as it’s rendered practically useless as a topical soil applicant once full growth kicks-in, and in saying potash, synonymously I’ll be using a fairly well diluted home-produced soaked woodash, with a ground calcified seaweed (Lime) for the cabbage patch…every little helps, in helpful amounts…

Kim
Rank attained: Rowan Tree
Rank attained: Rowan Tree

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2015 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Also going to try Sweet potatoes anyone ever grew them

we've been growing sweet potatoes for a good few years, since I was given some slips originally, I keep them going. They really do best with the heat of a tunnel and crops are variable. They take up a lot of room for their return but are relatively trouble free and go well with pumpkin or squash in soup.

I've been really busy mulching all the paths in the veg. patch so there will be less mowing and weeding in the growing season. I'm behind with planting seeds but have a few tomatoes going and peppers and aubergines, some other bits and pieces too. As usual I am juggling everything but we have agreed to not raise chicks this year unless the hens go broody and do it all themselves!

The bees are out today collecting pollen and this is so uplifting after the cold and overcast weather we've been having, although it's been great weather for gardening!
Greengage

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2015 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ill have to visit St Annes Allotments sometime soon.
pollen jim

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2015 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

use to get small garlic too, until i tried this little trick, last 6 weeks feed them Phostrogen once a week and huge shop size garlic, that simple. With the carrots , I always sow 2 rows of onions outside 4 rows of carrots, garlic will also do the job, the little buggers cant get the whiff of them sweet carrots. Hope that helps a bit for you, tried and tested by me for the last 5 years. Very Happy
Greengage

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2015 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok will try it see how it goes I have been using enviro mesh last season and worked well for me.
Dirt Digger

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greengage, you are as all visitors are, always welcome to our Allotment Garden...and as with all gardens looking quite woebegone at end of winter and early spring, well more so with our little allotment gardens, due in no small part to the different pace, knowledge and enthusiasm employed and exhibited by an eclectic group of people, each as individual as the technique and skill deployed on their plots which in turn are as unique as the gardener tending the plot...all good fun BTW...and perhaps the best time to visit St Anne's Allotments would be during our open day celebration which we run in conjunction with the St Anne's Park Rose Festival, which take place during the 3rd full weekend of July each year...
wouldn't DCC just love the freebie Mr. Green
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Vegetable growing, fruit and allotments in Ireland All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: