Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Garden Photo gallery & Plant Identification area

My garden challenge

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next  
Most Recent Posts Sea-buckthorn Hippophae rhamnoides
Last post: spiracles
Ponddigger breaks the rules and LIES
Last post: Greengage
stone work in gardens
Last post: ponddigger
Introduction
Last post: Margo

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
gardendelights
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking forward to tomorrow when I visit a lovely friend of mine who has done amazing things with her land, bless her she has some seeds and advise for me , I will be bringing my notepad and camera, I am so looking forward to this . Today I spent the whole day clearing areas of the land here , one area took 3 solid hours as someone had been burning rubbish , there was lots of glass and tin cans filled 2 large sacks but the weather was great only one shower of hail ,building up a nice area to grow spuds and veg , it will be so good to eat something from the garden , hopefully I will get that ground cover in suggested here asap, the dog tore up a little bush I had planted , he is called Bobby and very fond of going on long adventures so sometimes I have to have him on a long lead in the garden , really wish he would stay around it gets a bit embarrassing that he wanders so much. We have also acquired 2 wild cats that we feed , one of them is huge and not having kittens , the fattest cat is about 1 and half years old , I have never seen a cat so huge , we feed them but we dont over feed them so I dont know why the cat is so fat. Still trying to find poplar trees but have got some hazel sorted at the nursery , I will buy about 4 this week , and ask about the poplar , the reason I want the poplar is that I read it grows fast and one can take cuttings easily from them , in the short term these will help shelter the site a little I think. The garden challenge is coming along nicely and I just love being out of doors. Happy days guys . Kathy.
gardendelights

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 8:53 pm    Post subject: The weather Reply with quote

Worked hard today , lovely day, only one hail storm , great weather .

Last edited by gardendelights on Thu Feb 19, 2015 11:12 pm; edited 2 times in total
gardendelights

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 8:54 pm    Post subject: is there a delete button Reply with quote

hope this is not repeated ha ha

Last edited by gardendelights on Thu Feb 19, 2015 11:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
tagwex
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 9:51 pm    Post subject: Re: And so the challenge continues. Reply with quote

What what what Kathy? I've heard of seeing double before but triple is a new one on me!
Take plenty of notes and take on board all the advice you can get. From looking at some of your photos that land looks a bit rough, would you not just get a tractor in and plough and rotavate it and then you have a blank canvas and no back breaking days like you had today.
We started growing our own two years ago and the one thing that we always say is that you just cannot beat the taste. It is just better as everything seems to have a better taste than mass produced 'perfect' veg. Plus there is a huge satisfaction in sitting down to eat what you have grown yourself.
'Huge' cats. Could it be that you are not the only one feeding them?
I was buying Poplar whips, about 5 feet tall, for 50 cent apiece a few years ago. At that price you could get loads and have shelter belt up quicker rather than waiting for cuttings.

This boy can really sing http://youtu.be/Dgv78D2duBE
gardendelights

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh dear how did this happen so sorry ha ha i did not realise it kept saying its too soon to post again and I kept clicking ha ha . will try and delete some of them oh dear .
gardendelights

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow great post tag, yes the veg is something we are all looking forward to , if you know anywhere i can buy these poplar whips let me know , sounds just the thing I need. distance is not a problem as we have a son in Dublin and visit there so any where along the route is fine.
Greengage

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flannerys nursery Donadea or Carragh nursery near Mondello
Good guy

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Be careful where you plant them. The roots can easily penetrate sewer pipes, drains etc and they can spread a long way from the tree, in my experience. Just make sure they aren't near the house or sewage system.
tagwex

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No different to any other root surely.

Good guy

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lurking again, Tagwex?
Poplar roots. Waaaaaay back in the 70s, when you were just a twinkle in your mammy's eye, I planted a variegated poplar. They were all the rage, then and I knew no better! Then I read they shouldn't be planted too close to buildings, so the next autumn I dug it up to move it. I was horrified to find that it's roots extended some seven or eight feet from the trunk after only one season's growth.
Around the same time I helped a friend dig up and replace sewer pipes at his mother's house that were solid with poplar roots.
tagwex

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lurking? Moi? I'll have you know that I was on this thread way before you. It is you that spreads your lurve on posts and threads all over the forum. I'm more select of course!
As for being a twinkle. By the mid seventies I had completed two terms in a borstal so watch out as I have a violent disposition.
As stated all roots are much the same. They will all seek out a water source. Some are indeed more adventurous than others. The extent of root growth is directly proportional to the height of the tree. The worst case being up to 2.5 times the mature height of the tree and seeing as poplars can grow to 30m ... ...well you work it out. I hear you are good at maths.

Good guy

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's just the point: 2.5 times the height.

Now, go to bed Tagwex. You know you need your beauty sleep. And you'll only be cross in the morning. There'll be tears!!!
tagwex

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And when you multiplied 2.5 by 30 you got...........

Good guy

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The same answer as you, smarty pants.
tagwex

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So you got it wrong too........

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Garden Photo gallery & Plant Identification area All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: