Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Landscaping / Gardening Ireland, Overall discussion & Garden related News.

No dig Talk

Most Recent Posts Spliting ferns
Last post: Jim wolohan
conifer roots
Last post: Sue Deacon
Leaves dropping off of holiies
Last post: tagwex
colourful hedging
Last post: kindredspirit

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
Greengage
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2015 9:44 am    Post subject: No dig Talk Reply with quote

Sorr for theshort notice some of you might be interested in this. http://www.ncad.ie/news/view/public-lecture-on-no-dig-urban-farming
tagwex

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2015 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Didn't open the link but is this similar to that religious nut in the US who had a link put up here last year by a past forumite (a dutch lad living in Kildare I seem to recall) which promoted great debate I remember. The video was, I think, one and a half hours long or so and was without doubt the most boring thing any of us had to endure? The great debate was how bad it was not how good the idea was.

This boy can really sing http://youtu.be/Dgv78D2duBE
Greengage

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2015 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now would I be into that sort of thing, after all my advice here, No, Ive heard of the No dig gardening before and am curious, have grown spuds in the past this way so curious to see what there up to in the big smoke (Dublin), You should also have a look at what ther guys in the Chocolate factory are up to if your ever in dublin.
But back to tomorrow, Ill attend and let yea know.
Using the innovative no-dig model of intensive food growing, the National College of Art & Design Community Garden Farm provides the space to share skills and tools to turn recycled raw materials such as land, compost and wood into the resources needed for intensive growing of fresh, seasonal foods.

The two-acre site stretching from Thomas Street to Oliver Bond Street, next door to NCAD has been transformed into the largest food-growing farm in Dublin City Centre. With an emphasis on sustainable farming and community building, the project now uses the production and provision of organic food as a resource for learning and inclusion.

The success of the garden owes much to the pioneering no-dig, raised-bed growing method advanced by eminent horticulturalist Mr. Charles Dowding.

Charles Dowding will visit NCAD on Monday 9th February to present a public lecture on growing for anybody interested in empowering themselves through producing their own food with out the set-backs of weeds and slugs. With Garden tours starting at 3pm in from Oliver Bond Street, followed by free lecture at 6pm in the Harry Clarke lecture theatre NCAD, 100 Thomas Street, with further presentations from cultural, gardening and community development activists followed by some edible testimonials from the garden.

Introduced by Dublin City Cllr. Ciaran Cuffe, lecturer in Urban Planning and Architecture in DIT Bolton Street and former minister of state with special responsibility for Horticulture; Sustainable Travel; and Planning and Heritage.
Good guy

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2015 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds absolutely fascinating, especially that it's NCAD that's doing it. Many years ago they interviewed me for a job - but wisely gave it to someone else.
I'm all for the ideas behind no-dig. But I think it's import to be flexible in these things rather than fundamentalist. It'll be good to hear your opinion, Greengage.
tagwex

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2015 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is the thread that this came up in before. We haven't heard from Marc since, I wonder why?

http://www.google.ie/url?q=http://www.gardenplansireland.com/forum/about6889-15.html&sa=U&ei=6dHXVNa2Aemy7QaroYAw&ved=0CBYQFjAA&usg=AFQjCNGO643PFTp4zFzbA87eZKksFqfM2g

Greengage

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Being the enthusiastic little gardener Iam. I attended this lecture by Charles Dowding (You should Look him up) he is very excited about his growing methods, A lot of the slides showed three beds 1. dug only, 2 Dug and manure dug in and 3. one with manure only on top of soil, He then compared one with the other and the weight of crops he has taken off, His no dig method won every time by a LB (Pound weight in old money) or two but looking at the pics it was hard to tell the difference, he was mostly growing salad crops and taking in 16,000 per year from 11/2 acres. The only good thing I saw was that he didnt have to dig, left it all to the worms, He called anything from animals Manure and green waster compost, It had to be left 18 months for it to rot down enough and he admitted he could not certify it as being coming from Organic sources..
Your man in NADC had a small Allottment?? he said it was two acres but I dont know maybe they have small acres in Dublin see photos attached, He was also very enthusiastic a little too much for me thought he invented the wheel and reckoned he was a Gorilla compostor whatever that is, Again he was growing salads no sign of root crops from last season e.g Parsnips, Carrots, No Leeks or Brussels sprouts to be seen nor Fruit bushes or Rhubarb, He had tons of Manure to dig in but his site would do my head in no machinery allowed only pick spade and hand saw. Any way Iam not knocking him fair play whatever your into but it would not be my cup of tea. He also mentioned another one he had but closed down due to lack of interest. Saw a monster rat on site there and believe me ive seen some rats four legged variety. Also He is sitting on some very expensive real estate and when collage authorities decide they need the land he will have to move off so it could be transient as for visiting it I walked four times around the block and asked 8 people including security in collage where it is located and none heard of it or knew where it was. If you do go, Stop outside the rear entrance of the NCAD facing into the collage turn right up the stree and you will se security fencing into a dogey site thats it. problem with pics Ill have a look.
Greengage

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 9:10 pm    Post subject: No Dig Pics Reply with quote

pics from No Dig.

no DIG.JPG
 Description:
Note the large compost heap to the side.
 Filesize:  193.51 KB
 Viewed:  6065 Time(s)

no DIG.JPG

No dig1.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  201.88 KB

No dig1.JPG

No dig2.JPG
 Description:
A water harvester which is a disaster for washing salad crops on site.
 Filesize:  214.15 KB

No dig2.JPG

tagwex

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing that strikes me is the amount of unused space.

Greengage

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its still a work in progress, they are puting up a tunnel, all paths are approx 15inches wide and there is still a lot of work to do, if your interested he would love to have some help for free.
tagwex

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Snorts with laughter.... I need all the help I can get here never mind travelling to the big smoke for a freebie.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Landscaping / Gardening Ireland, Overall discussion & Garden related News. All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: