Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Landscaping / Gardening Ireland, Overall discussion & Garden related News.

Planting shelter belt in water logged clay

Goto page Previous  1, 2  
Most Recent Posts Beech Head leaf browning issue
Last post: SeanOChuinn
Is this Spiraea japonica
Last post: Keeks
Small lawn advice please
Last post: Greengage
Whats this.
Last post: Silver surfer

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
Sue Deacon
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just have Salix alba and I plant it at an angle. The thicker stems just push in to our soft ground. You might need a spike in harder or stoney ground.

I also grow Salix Babylonica tortuosa or 'Dragons Claw' Willow. It has curly stems and grows into a small, shruby tree. It zooms up to about 20' in 4-5 years. It is not very long lived, but dead easy to grow and very attractive (I think) It looks a bit like a thicket of bamboo and rustles nicely in a breeze - you can tell I'm a fan! Smile
Breezy
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2015 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Sue, will let you know how it progresses.
gardendelights

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2015 4:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really need to get some shelter growing around my site here and the willow is the way to go for me I think. When you talk about not making the willow hedge too dense , what spacing do you advise between them , and what would you advise to grow in front of the willow and at what spacing , budget is limited so I am looking to spend a weekly sum on plants in order to fill the spaces , the willow has been growing for about 3 years should i have cut it; would love some advise and photos if possible , Does anyone have any idea why I cant seem to upload my photos on here ,as I would like to find out what some of the plants are already in the area around the site. Thanks again for reading, Kind Regards Kathy newbie garden person.

the trees to the back are the neighbours however there is no hedge at the end of the garden or indeed around the front and the wind is ferocious at times so need to get planting asap in order to sort this..jpg
 Description:
planted some apple trees in nov. as you can see there is loads of room and need suggestions on how to go about a lot of the work here, what do you think about covering parts of the land with some straw as a mulch would this help to breakdown the tough
 Filesize:  135.71 KB
 Viewed:  6714 Time(s)

the trees to the back are the neighbours however there is no hedge  at the end of the garden or indeed around the front and the wind is ferocious at times  so need to get planting asap in order to sort this..jpg

Last edited by gardendelights on Sun Feb 08, 2015 3:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
gardendelights

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2015 4:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tippben wrote:
Remember that if you plant a more or less solid barrier, the wind will hit it, and then go up and over. You need a baffle effect, which means several layers. On the outside, well spaced trees (Alder/Hawthorn/Damson etc). Then another belt (inland, if you see what I mean) of lower stuff, so Salix alba cultivars, coppiced on a 2 to 3 year rotation would work well for that. Finally a few shrubs 3-5 feet high, which your laurel would do.

I really need to get some shelter growing around my site here and the willow is the way to go for me I think. When you talk about not making the willow hedge too dense , what spacing do you advise between them , and what would you advise to grow in front of the willow and at what spacing , budget is limited so I am looking to spend a weekly sum on plants in order to fill the spaces , the willow has been growing for about 3 years should i have cut it; would love some advise and photos if possible , Does anyone have any idea why I cant seem to upload my photos on here ,as I would like to find out what some of the plants are already in the area around the site. Thanks again for reading, Kind Regards Kathy newbie garden person.

for garden project.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  138.26 KB
 Viewed:  6715 Time(s)

for garden project.jpg

Last edited by gardendelights on Sun Feb 08, 2015 3:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
Sue Deacon

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2015 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Kathy,

I don't know what the others do about posting pictures but I use the free to use 'picresize'. If you can post some pictures of the site perhaps we can get a better idea of what sort of windbreak you need.

I have a single row of willow as a filter and a screen from the neighbours (for their benefit as much as ours). Space is limited just there, so one row is fine.

I've been looking at the photo on your blog. The plant you were asking about IS a honeysuckle, you can tell by the way it winds around itself.
gardendelights

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2015 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow it all looks so unmanageable doesn't it but never mind Rome was not built in a day and I hope to create a little paradise here so I better get off the computer tidy the house , prepare the evening meal and out into that wilderness I shall go; will post a photo later this posting lark is getting me motivated ha ha happy days all .
Breezy

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2015 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Kathy,
You have a lot going on there but its all good fun. My trick is to try to concentrate on two or three tasks each year so that they are reasonably well done but more imprortantly enjoyed. I have had that overwhelmed feeling before and believe me its a wasted emotion. I am now practicing what the psychologists call mindfulness living and working in the moment so this year the shelter belt, securing the boundaries and starting on the flower beds is my task, the rest will be in the future. Good luck with it.
tagwex

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2015 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahhh how am i ever going to find that shed, the whole of the west of Ireland to look through!!! Best of luck with your project Kathy and welcome to the forum.

This boy can really sing http://youtu.be/Dgv78D2duBE
gardendelights

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2015 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes I do get carried away ha ha , but i have a wedding coming up this summer and really have to shape up this place , thinking trailing pink roses cascading over the shed and lots of flower pots and a table and chairs , and arches lots of arches with floweres and perhaps a growing wig wam of sweet peas for the kids to play in. dreams dreams dreams and so the story unfolds , forgot to mention lettuce as we love salad .
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Landscaping / Gardening Ireland, Overall discussion & Garden related News. All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: