Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Perennials, Ferns and Ornamental grasses

Those Perennial Questions

Most Recent Posts Christmas reading.
Last post: Greengage
2016 Vegetable quizz.
Last post: Greengage
At last! A garden joke. (except maybe it's not a joke!)
Last post: Sue Deacon
Skimmia seed wanted
Last post: Brendankearns

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
Good guy
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 7:24 pm    Post subject: Those Perennial Questions Reply with quote

Sue Deacon asked, on a different thread, about the plants I bought last week at Johnstown Garden Centre.
This is what I bought:
Euphorbia characias Wulfenii, Astrantia Florence,
Campanula globata Alba, Anemone x hybrida Honorine, Achillea The Pearl, Anemone multifeda, Acanthus Mollis.
The euphorbia I used to have before, when I started this garden - in those days I didn't realise how important it is to divide perennials to renew them and I lost it. Much the same story with the achillea. One of the things that I find annoying about garden centres is that they so often only stock what is in fashion, but of course the marketing people control that. Our local garden centres, good as they are, can't afford to keep stuff they are unlikely to sell, they are too small to absorb the cost of keeping stock.
My plan is to pot most of these on and keep them in a bit of shelter. If they do well, I'll be able to divide them before I plant them out in the summer.
Greengage

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice selection there, I would be careful with the Acanthus, I have it and it comes up everywhere i the bed but where i want it to stay, can be a bit spiky on top, I love Astrianta and Anenome Honerine Jobert I think its called is a lovely long lasting flower once it settles down.
Good guy

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greengage: Yes, you're right, I missed the 'Jobert'. I really like acanthus (have done since studying O Level History of Art - Corinthian columns) but I've never seen it on sale. I tried taking an offshoot from one I found in a garden in Mayo last year but I don't think I got a big enough piece of root with it. Anyway, I think it's dead; a pity because I'm usually good at that stuff. What soil conditions is yours in? I have Astrantia already, a plain creamy one but I don't know the variety as I liberated it from an old garden gone wild.
Sue, thanks for the tip about the garden centre. I might make a detour sometime, on the way to or from Holyhead. My next trip to England is to near Harrogate to see my grownup son and grandchildren, at Easter. I'll be going to Harlow Carr, which I've not been to, yet. Mostly, we fly to Britain but this time I'm driving, so I'll probably be able to squeeze a few plants in!
Greengage

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have it in Loamy soil well fed, As for the Astrianta i like tha,t had it but dissappeared from my garden (White one) and I was mixing it up with Trysertis formosa now thats a nice delicate plant also know as toad lily.
Good guy

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Astrantia self seeds for me. It's growing in shady semi shade and doesn't seem to mind that the soil is quite sticky, not at all well drained. The acanthus I saw doing so well in Mayo was in loamy soil, too. Toad lily I don't have, as yet, anyway. Having just had a look at T formosana, it's gorgeous, I can see why you grow it!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Perennials, Ferns and Ornamental grasses All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: