Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Plant Propagation, increasing your stock of plants in Ireland.

New to "Growing your own"

Goto page 1, 2  Next  
Most Recent Posts Skimmia seed wanted
Last post: Brendankearns
funny
Last post: Margo
At last! A garden joke. (except maybe it's not a joke!)
Last post: Ado 2
2016 Vegetable quizz.
Last post: Greengage

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
Geranimojess
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 9:12 pm    Post subject: New to "Growing your own" Reply with quote

I'm just putting the finishing touches to my 1st ever Potting Shed...it's Timber built with Several large Windows and Perspex Roof allowing plenty of light in and it's fully Insulated...I'm just left with the Electrics to connect and a few small minor Jobs to do before I begin...BUT...whats the easiest Plants to begin with...whats the best Potting Compost...what Trays/Tips do I need to make a good start...What Books for a beginner to include Propagating...and anything else I've no doubt left out...

I've become so use to buying all my Plants I've become Institutionalized and this is a big step for me...any help would be Appreciated...I want to concentrate on Perennials and Annuals at the moment {not into Veggies yet} and maybe when the confidence builds up go to the next step...

It will be towards the end of Feb' before I'm ready to go but I don't know if that's too late for anything...I also intend building Cold Frames shortly...
Thanks....Dave...
Good guy

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's great Dave, well done. Any chance of you taking a trip up here to build me one?
I'll leave the advice to others better qualified. Good luck with it.
Geranimojess

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks GG...many Moons ago when I was in my prime I'd think nothing of taking you up on your offer but the zest I had then is now nothing more than a gentle Breeze that would not put a Ripple in a Cobweb...any work I do now is at my own pace that would not suit a Client...

The Google has many wonderful ideas on DIY Potting Sheds and with the barest of Hand Tools and lot's of 2nd's in Timber/Double Glaze you would have no problems building one...then again people tell me Computing is Kids play...I still cannot attach a Photo...best left to the Experts...
kindredspirit

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any potting that I've done is outside: no shed, no greenhouse but plants that are dead easy to pot are Lampranthus, Delosperma, Rock Rose, Sedum. Just pull off a bit of the parent plant and stick it into the middle of the pot (or what I sometimes do is put 4 cuttings in, one at each corner of the pot.) You cannot fail with these so it gives you a great start.

A heated propagator is useful.

If your compost is too damp, watch out for a white/grey fungus that'll overwhelm and kill your little babies. (Think it's called damping off.)

From a novice. (until I find a way of getting a greenhouse or somesuch.)

A little garden in Co. Limerick.Some non-gardening photographs.
Geranimojess

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks K...the Sedum was my 1st unintended successful transplant last year...I have several in the Garden and during one of the "Weeding Sessions" I accidently trod on one and broke several Stems off...putting them into some Pots I left them to their own Healing process not expecting any results...within a very short space of time they were 3 times the size of the Garden ones...
If only all transplants were as successful...but I'll look up those other suggested Plants and hopefully get something from them...keep the suggestions coming I can never get to much advice...
Kim
Rank attained: Rowan Tree
Rank attained: Rowan Tree

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
whats the easiest Plants to begin with...whats the best Potting Compost...what Trays/Tips do I need to make a good start...What Books for a beginner to include Propagating...and anything else I've no doubt left out...

I'd like to reply but I don't know where to start!

I have a potting bench in the pollytunnel and grow whatever I can from seed or cuttings, I use peat free compost with sand mixed in, adjusted depending on what kind of plants I'm raising, Choosing potting trays or plugs also depend on how fast growing seedlings are. I have good solid plug trays from "fruit hill farm", but I do a lot of veg, as well as other plants. I would, and did, start by using what is on hand. For plants I usually start with what I want to grow and then read up on it's requirements.

Sounds like a brilliant potting shed you've built.
kindredspirit

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, you made a good reply there, Kim. And you do potting in a transparent potting shed already. There you go! Smile
A little garden in Co. Limerick.Some non-gardening photographs.
Geranimojess

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kim wrote:
Quote:

I'd like to reply but I don't know where to start!

See how easy that was...now your part of a Thread and you've helped me along the way with Information I can check further into and as you become more involved you become part of this "Closed Group" I'm really fed up hearing about...

I belong to several Sites spread around the Globe...a lot of the time I felt I was an "Outsider" simply because I did not understand their Lingo even though we all shared the one Interest...it literally took me several years before I felt at ease...with my Perseverence and their Patience I'm now "In"...joining as a new Member in any Organization you have to make the adjustments to suit them not the other way round and the effort you put in Multiplies the enjoyment you get back...

That was not meant / intended as a Lecture just to let you know we all had to make a start at the onset and sooner than you think this will all be a distant Memory...
tagwex

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You mean to tell us that you spread your thoughts GLOBALLY!
Mankind as we know it is doomed, doomed I tell you.

This boy can really sing http://youtu.be/Dgv78D2duBE

Last edited by tagwex on Sun Feb 01, 2015 5:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
Sue Deacon

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know what you mean Kim, where do you start....

All good advice from KS and Kim. I would echo that cuttings take better if grown around the edge of a pot, touching the sides. Also too little water is better than too much, especially in cold weather - how would you like to spend the winter up to your ankles in water?

As for what to grow - grow whatever you like! Last year I bought some Kentish Cobnuts from our wonderful fruit 'n veg man. They were yummy so I saved a few and sowed them. Now I have half a doz. little trees.

A few years back We were visiting friends who had just moved to Spain. I came home with 6 6" twigs from a Spanish Grey Poplar. We have Grey Poplar here, but this variety grow very upright and narrow - great if you have limited space. They also have lovely butterey-yellow leaves inthe autumn. Two cuttings survived. I have one, a friend has the other. I have been meaning to take more cuttings. If you would like some, perhaps I could post them to you?
If they were alright in a suitcase in Spain they should survive they Irish postal services? Let me know.

Good luck and if you should change your mind about building sheds for others - I've waited YEARS for my OH to build me a new one. One of these days I'll go to open mine and will be left holding the latch as the rest of it disintergrates into matchwood! Rolling Eyes
Geranimojess

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that Sue...I can feel the Adrenaline starting to rise in me and the urgency to finish the Shed and begin growing my own...I've been reading up on some of the suggested Plants and already I feel overwhelmed with the choice before me and nervous to a point...

It's a new beginning to me after spending all my Gardening Life buying other Peoples Plants and another Section on the Forum I can add to my "Likes"....I'm afraid my Days of Building are at an end...this Shed will be the last "Big Build" I'll be doing...I have to wait for the Son to visit to secure Capping on the Roof as my balance ain't what it use to be and my limits seem to be diminishing rapidly...I'm happiest when my 2 Feet are at Ground level...

I appreciate your offer of the cuttings and if it still stands when I'm up and running I'd sure like to take you up on it.........Many Thanks....Dave.
Good guy

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What to do with a rotting shed? That's my problem. It would be very satisfying to my inner arsonist to give it a Viking funeral, but neither the Dept of Environment nor the nearby trees would approve! I suppose I'll have to break it up and pay to skip it. They are awkward things to get rid of.
The clear-plastic roofed leanto that I had built all along one side of my house works really well for me as a potting shed as well as a geerally outdoor store. As its open at both ends and has a slatted side wall it is well ventilated as well as well lit and was a good use of a 'dead' space. At present it is housing sweetpea seedlings and broad beans as well as various perennials.
So thanks for the offer, Dave, but I have enough shed.
Incidentally, Sue and you (NW Sligo and W Fermanagh) can't be too far apart.
Geranimojess

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I dismantled the "Wendy House" I cut up the Timber and used it as Kindling for the Fire...seems an awful waste and Expense to Hire a Skip specially' in this Weather when everyone has their Fires going...

I was just thinking that about how close Sue and I are but like yourself when you dropped into me, prior to that you were doubtful as to whether I'd like Visitors... guess I'm the same,sometimes reality is a letdown best to keep the Imagination active...
tippben
Rank attained: Vegetable garden tender

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would definitely use the shed for kindling. For the price of hiring a skip, you could buy a small chainsaw, and a hatchet.
Geranimojess

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To Day I filled 3 Trolley loads with more Timber from the old Shed and took them to my Workshop for cutting up...by the time I'm finished I'll have enough Kindling to last til' next Winter and beyond...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Plant Propagation, increasing your stock of plants in Ireland. All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: