Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> How to get the most out of Irishgardeners.com

How can we improve the Irish gardeners forum?

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next  
Most Recent Posts funny
Last post: tagwex
Skimmia seed wanted
Last post: Brendankearns
At last! A garden joke. (except maybe it's not a joke!)
Last post: Ado 2
2016 Vegetable quizz.
Last post: Greengage

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
Greengage
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 7:56 pm    Post subject: How can we improve the Irish gardeners forum? Reply with quote

we are very inactive lately maybe everyone knows all by no or they are fed up of us, I ran a check, there are 7862 members registered, 1810 never ever posted, there are 32 members with 200 posts or more so where is everyone, maybe the site is a bit dated or there is nothing here to offer people, When you post you can have more voyeurs than contributors, Should all members get a PM from admin to notify them they are members and they should check in or should those 1810 who never posted be deleted, Ill give it a bit more thought what do the other few posters think, I must be getting near my 2000 when I should jump ship.
I said it before but I think the Post" What did you do today" did serious harm to the forum as there was so many threads going on in there that could have being expanded on it has become a bit of a social tread, now thats ok if thats what people want but it does not help the site.
tagwex

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tend to agree with you mostly. Activity will increase as the seasons progress.
In defence of the "what did you do today" thread it is in a section where it states clearly "Chat about any subject which is not covered by our topics below eg. tv gardening shows, sport, pets, hobbies and interests etc.". So it is open to all sorts of comments. I look on it as the 'have a banter section'.
Have you ever noticed that when you log on the newest registered user is named. It is usually a really random sort of name and rarely if ever are they seen again. I often wonder is it just to get the numbers up and being seen to be still active. Also, I have watched with interest, the number of views on a post. I sometimes post quite late at night and can still get a surprising number of views in the small hours.

This boy can really sing http://youtu.be/Dgv78D2duBE
Greengage

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also think it counts the person posting as having viewed the message, After I just post I usually get three hits now who else is logged on at either 7.30 am or 12.30 pm at night curious. Maybe we should ask James for some statistics as I bet he is monitoring the traffic on here. We will always differ on "What you did Today " post. It has had 84807 hits and 914 posts at I think 63 pages on it.
Good guy

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First thoughts:
- does it really matter if there are loads of 'inactive' names? Maybe people join to get the full facility but don't want to contribute;
- it might be a good idea to get people to confirm their interest if a way can be found to encourage their participation;
- is it possible that newcomers are put off by the forum seeming to 'clubbish'. Is it useful to refer to non contributing visitors as 'voyeurs' with all the negative connotations of that term?
- would it be worth polling people who have joined in the last 6 months and who do post to find out what they like about the forum?
I think it most likely things will pick up in the spring anyway.
Kim
Rank attained: Rowan Tree

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am glad you brought this up Greengage. I would really like to be part of an Irish garden forum. As a new member I feel like there is a lot of slagging and banter that goes on that I often just don't get and is boring, tedious when I don't understand the joke.

I get fed up seeing I have an e-mail that there is a reply in to a thread I am following and after waiting 10 seconds for the computer to open up this forum, I find it is yet another bit of one line slagging that I don't understand.

I don't read the 'what did you do today' thread, when I did, there was golf banter going on. I do think that it is great that there is a group of you who get on so well and have such quick wit as well as knowledge and love of gardening, It would be my preference that the jokes and banter could, most of the time, be kept to a jokes and banter section of the forum and not be constantly scattered randomly throughout most threads.

I do appreciate that a sense of humour is one of life's great gifts, I feel like such a stuck in the mud, but I am being honest.

To me, even though everyone has been very friendly, it still feels like a closed group.
kindredspirit

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kim wrote:

To me, even though everyone has been very friendly, it still feels like a closed group.

Kim, just barge your way in. I've never found an unwelcoming gardener anywhere and everyone will appreciate your input. Start a thread on your favourite gardening subject and hopefully everyone will leave loads of comments and their views. Divergence on views but convergence on gardening. Smile Smile

A little garden in Co. Limerick.Some non-gardening photographs.
Geranimojess

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kim wrote:

When I joined up I felt the same but over time you gradually settle in...with some it takes a little longer...There are many Posts I have no interest in so I tend to stick with what I enjoy...evidently not everyones Cuppa but that's what this Site is all about and as "K" said start your own Thread on your favourite Subject and hopefully others will respond...just because you don't like/understand some of the Banter is no reason to run down that Thread irrespective of who the Author is...
tagwex

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kim wrote:
As a new member I feel like there is a lot of slagging and banter that goes on that I often just don't get and is boring, tedious when I don't understand the joke.

I do appreciate that a sense of humour is one of life's great gifts, I feel like such a stick in the mud, but I am being honest.

As Kindred spirit said, barge in. It is because you are relatively new that you don't get the banter. Some of us have been on here for a few years and, in a virtual world know each others ways quite well by retaining comments/likes/dislikes sometimes made long ago. I can appreciate what this looks like to a latecomer but it is what it is. It can appear 'closed' because we are, as Greengage rightly pointed out, a relatively small group who have come to know each other quite well. New members are always welcomed but most only come on for one quick bit of advice and then they are gone, they may only have a small garden and maybe only one thing they need advice on so they have no further need for the forum. I have half an acre and loads of problems/queries and I enjoy the banter.

Quote:
I get fed up seeing I have an e-mail that there is a reply in to a thread I am following and after waiting 10 seconds for the computer to open up this forum, I find it is yet another bit of one line slagging that I don't understand.

Do you open each notification as they come in? I wait till I am having a break/cup of tea and open up whatever has come in all in one go even if I have received a notification on the phone hours earlier, it saves the 10 seconds each time.

Quote:
I don't read the 'what did you do today' thread, when I did, there was golf banter going on.

Well that had to be me. More banter between me and Geranimojess (he hates golf) but if I remember rightly it started by extolling the virtues of golf courses and the manicured grounds that are a pleasure to walk around. You should go visit Coollattin golf course, which is quite close to you as you know, and walk around it you will be impressed I guarantee you. That expanded into the long gone and never to be heard from again Gemini, who turned out to be someone I know trying to wind me up. So I will repeat what I said earlier, that section states "Chat about any subject which is not covered by our topics below eg. tv gardening shows, sport, pets, hobbies and interests etc.".

Quote:
It would be my preference that the jokes and banter could, most of the time, be kept to a jokes and banter section of the forum and not be constantly scattered randomly throughout most threads.

We could be talking away seriously about a gardening matter and a quip could be thrown in and then the banter could start, we are hardly going to start a new topic mid topic just to have the original topic purely on what it was started for. Go with the flow.

Geranimojess

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="kindredspirit"
. Divergence on views but convergence on gardening. Smile Smile[/quote]

Bit of a Poet in you... Smile
Kim

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I appreciate that you have all taken the time to respond to my post. I agree that it takes time to settle into a forum, to get to know people, and that starting threads on subjects that interest me would be a way to feel more included, I accept that it is my own responsibility to participate.

I was trying to address Greengage's opening post by expressing how the site may appear from the perspective of a new member, although of course it may be just me. I realise a lot of new members have a fleeting interest in gardening but some are experienced gardeners looking for a gardening community.

Lets move back to Greengages opening post, perhaps this bit,

Quote:
I said it before but I think the Post" What did you do today" did serious harm to the forum as there was so many threads going on in there that could have being expanded on it has become a bit of a social tread, now thats ok if thats what people want but it does not help the site.

Perhaps this thread could be titled differently to express that it is the "chat" area and "what did you do today in the garden" could be separate? or |what are you doing in January in the garden', That could create 12 threads, one for each month, that could come up again each year?
Kim

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I must be getting near my 2000 when I should jump ship.

Greengage, I don't understand this? I can't imagine wanting to leave the bee forum just because I had x no. of posts. Are you joking?
tagwex

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He means this forum Kim. Said it a while back. He is like the wise old sage on this forum, the fountain of knowledge hence he has to stay.

Kim

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for explaining, I did get it that Greengage is suggesting leaving the forum, I don't understand why he would want to, (although I understand why I sometimes want to). I am new here but I have noticed that greengage's posts are concise and informative, a valuable contributor. Is it a case of having given enough? or is it a jest, I didn't have greengage in the jester category?
kindredspirit

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't worry about him, Kim. He's a crotchety curmudgeon. Smile Smile
A little garden in Co. Limerick.Some non-gardening photographs.
Greengage

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hold your horses there I am only a young lad, I will soon have completed 2000 posts on this site which is a fair commitment logging on sometimes twice per day, but thats my problem, I have got myself in trouble on numerous occasions (Once with the moderator) for giving what I thought was sound advice, Some arrive here with the answer already and just want confirmation they are right, but I sometimes have a different opinion, My reason for taking a break is that maybe I could be part of the problem seeming to have all the answers but none of the problems, I have access to a huge database of knowledge from experienced gardeners and the best library in the country for horticulture info. Anyway this is not about me it is about generating more traffic on the site it is an excellent forum because it sticks to gardening except when the banter comes into play, lets hear from more members as to what they want it would also be good to see what James the moderator thinks.
Kim as for the Bee forum ill be there for a while as I have many questions and much to learn, looks like I will be bee keeper on permanent job as well as having some at home , I suggested getting bees and seem to have snowballed on me Ah well in for a pound in for a... (I forget the rest)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> How to get the most out of Irishgardeners.com All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7

Jump to: