Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> How to get the most out of Irishgardeners.com

How can we improve the Irish gardeners forum?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next  
Most Recent Posts Speedwell in Lawn?
Last post: tagwex
Portuguese laurel propagation
Last post: john32c
Think I planted potentially damaging trees near septic tank
Last post: tagwex
Tress require pruning
Last post: kindredspirit

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
tagwex
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sue Deacon wrote:
You can't see our house, just a load of trees and next door's collapsed sheds.

Would this be the offending shed?

20150202_140112.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  112.39 KB
 Viewed:  16782 Time(s)

20150202_140112.jpg

This boy can really sing http://youtu.be/Dgv78D2duBE
Geranimojess

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

.OOOpps...Error.
tagwex

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ehhhhhh I think not. It may look like your new potting shed alright after you have finished doing it up!!!!

Sue Deacon

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The one next to it is even worse! How are you doing this?

Have you ever thought of offering your services to the military trying to find those IS bxxxxxxs? They wouldn't stand a chance.
tagwex

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I take that is a bullseye then? Horses for courses Sue. Simple as that.

Good guy

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

James, I'll second Geronimogess's last post. I well remember my mum chipping her elbow years ago and how inconvenient, as well as painful, it was.

Tagwex, I don't agree with your proposed new rule, so there!
On maps, though....... One of the secondary pleasures I got from reading Swallows and Amazons books was afterwards, poring over my dad's old maps of the Lake District, trying to match real places with the makey-up ones on the maps in the books, also reading one where the children surveyed and mapped an island somewhere around the Wash. I still have those old OS maps from dad's cycling holidays in the Pennines and Lakes in the '30s.
One reason for my low achievement in maths might be the hours spent at the back of the class, playing 'Battleships' on imaginary Treasure Island type maps - good for the creativity and using coordinates, though.
I had a great summer job between college and starting teaching. I worked for Fermanagh Co Council Planning Dept, going back through a decade and more of planning applications in the files and marking up their locations and whether successful or not, on the 6 inch maps. Some ambiguous ones meant a trip out with my boss to some out of the way places to verify them. Another job I did that summer was a land use survey in various villages, marking in the actual use as opposed to what the map showed (probably a 1959 publication), as developments, especially in lake-related tourism, were beginning to happen fast. This was the very early '70s, too.
I've all my old, dog eared 1/2 inch maps of Donegal and north Sligo and Leitrim from my time as a scout leader and I'm very fond of them, errors and all.
Sue's comment about school geography reminds me of my O Level geography exam. We were given a small 1inch map and asked questions on it, which was something I loved doing. Imagine my surprise and delight when the map in this case was of the Cleveland Hills where I used to go walking with my parents on summer weekends before we moved to Ireland! Talk about a doddle!
These days, of course, Google earth etc are fascinating but I still hold that you can't beat having a real map and being able to use it. Last week's trip to Naas would have ended up on the wrong side of town altogether if I'd relied on Google maps interpretation of the postal address; fortunately my wife knew exactly where we were to go, from previous trips. Maybe that will improve when (???) we get postcodes. I just hope the authorities here arent as daft as those in the North. The new addresses that Sue referred to were often ludicrous: for instance, my mother' address was something like 465 Sligo Road, Enniskillen when she actually lived on the edge of the village of Belcoo! Nutty burocratic nonsense.
I'm going to have to google Lidar maps as I've no idea what they are! That'll keep me going for a while!
tagwex

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good guy wrote:
Tagwex, I don't agree with your proposed new rule, so there!

We could always put it to a vote.
Quote:
trying to match real places with the makey-up ones on the maps in the books

Have done something similar in that another hobby of mine is finding locations used in film and TV.
Quote:
going back through a decade and more of planning applications in the files and marking up their locations and whether successful or not, on the 6 inch maps.

Also did something similar way back in the day when I worked in a surveyors office in London. It was an old practice and there were literally hundreds of maps thrown into drawers with no indexing system and it did happen that new maps were bought to cover a current job whereas there was already one in the drawer but nobody could be bothered to look for it. So I purchased a large scale London A-Z and proceeded to mark it up with the maps we had in red and numbered each one. Simples. The boss was very impressed.

Don't start me on Google Maps, bloody disaster - there are soooo many errors.

Delivery companies have their own system of coding, the name of which will not come to me right now, where the country is divided into 10 km by 10 km (I think) grids each with their own unique number which you will see on the address label.

I was in the north a couple of years back with the young lad at a recording studio near Cullybackey and even though it was way out in the country on a rural road it had a house number which I couldn't fathom at all if somebody else built a house nearby what number would that be? Not all sites are the same size so just how was the numbering system going to work based on the existing houses?

Lidar is high tech 3D mapping done from aeroplanes.

Last edited by tagwex on Mon Feb 02, 2015 9:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
Good guy

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like I said, in the North it was a nutty system. And quite honestly, I think everyone in the country ignores the stupid street numbers. And they've hung on very hard to the townland names, which could so easily have been lost in some grand imperialistic master plan by the Post Office to teach the Paddies how to address letters.
Sue Deacon

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good guy wrote:
Maybe that will improve when (???) we get postcodes. I just hope the authorities here arent as daft as those in the North. The new addresses that Sue referred to were often ludicrous: for instance, my mother' address was something like 465 Sligo Road, Enniskillen when she actually lived on the edge of the village of Belcoo! Nutty burocratic nonsense.

I wouldn't hold your breath! They told us all are problems would be solved when they gave everyone a postcode. It went from bad to worse. Our address stayed exactly the same, but a house at the end of the road started getting our post!! There is a new development there with a very similar address.

One day I was checking my emails and lost the connection. A few minutes later a friend called my mobile to say they had tried to call our landline and it was 'unavailable'. Extremely long story short, the folks at the 'other' address had requested a change of broadband/phone supplier from BT to Sky, resulting in BOTH of us losing internet and us getting their number. It took MONTHS to sort out and the beggers even tried to charge us reconnection fees! So good luck on that one.

Even now locals look blank when we give our address. But when we say it's Mcxxxx'x place on the Bog road their faces light up and they say 'oh yes I know it well'. It's the oldest house on the road and (like tagwex says about the house in Cullybackey) it's number bears no resemblence to that fact. The road it is on was used by smugglers (when it was the only house) so I can only imagine the goings-on!

Laughing Laughing
Greengage

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Membership problems off we go again on a tangent. Did yea lads move what did you do today here or did i miss something..................
tagwex

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greengage wrote:
I have Taylor and Skinner book of maps myself, a full set i think of old 1/2 ordnance survey maps and the new maps, use East/west maps for hillwalking and no end of orienteering maps, i could tell you about Lidar mapping for the country but i would get in trouble, actually i know nothing about that....+ Laughing Laughing

With all due respect kettle pot black!

Sue Deacon

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, your'e right, but when you are chatting with friends it's easily done!
tagwex

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sue, my long range lens couldn't focus in far enough to reach the other shed from the road and I didn't want to trespass. Damn cold up there this morning though! Out of interest, where is the diseased wood? Opposite that shed on the other side of the lane maybe?

tagwex

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sue Deacon wrote:
As some of you know, I am having problems with the dreaded Honey Fungus. Should that come under pest and diseases, alternative, resistant trees (or shrubs) or even my pet soapbox 'what the xxxx have they done with Armillatox (creosote and Jeyes fluid)?

I meant to pick up on this earlier but got distracted. I was having a round of golf last week (flog to Geranimojess as he hates it so much that he cannot even say the word) with a man who works for Rentokil. He was telling me that shortly the likes of Jeyes Fluid/Dettol/Endorat/Storm etc. will be banned from sale in much the same way that Creosote was due to two main reasons. Getting into the water supply and secondary kills to other creatures eating the poisoned rats. He also told me that according to their records that rat numbers last year were tenfold up on the previous year. Stock up on Storm.

Sue Deacon

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tagwex wrote:
Sue, my long range lens couldn't focus in far enough to reach the other shed from the road and I didn't want to trespass. Damn cold up there this morning though! Out of interest, where is the diseased wood? Opposite that shed on the other side of the lane maybe?

Yeh, I've got Google Earth too. Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> How to get the most out of Irishgardeners.com All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 4 of 10

Jump to: