Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> How to get the most out of Irishgardeners.com

How can we improve the Irish gardeners forum?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next  
Most Recent Posts Speedwell in Lawn?
Last post: tagwex
Portuguese laurel propagation
Last post: john32c
Think I planted potentially damaging trees near septic tank
Last post: tagwex
Tress require pruning
Last post: kindredspirit

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
tagwex
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a detective in you somewhere Kim, you had to dig deep into the vaults to get some of that info. But I feel that I now need to expand further for clarity and transparency. The "well" was directed at KS and it was directly after his post (so not going off on a tangent) of two smiley faces which to me was an admission that he had used the co-ordinate information that I had sent him. Which he further clarified this morning. To explain further for anyone coming to this late, KS was having an open day at his garden and had invited all and sundry to visit. Obviously he had to give his address out at some stage but hadn't at that point. So I set myself a challenge to find his garden using my professional skills as a surveyor. All I knew was that he was in Limerick. So from certain clues I found the place and by describing his house I let him know in a jokey way, without giving away his address as that was up to him. As it is a rural spot and could have been difficult to find for some so I offered him the co-ordinates so that people could then use them in their satnav. So with his permission I posted the co-ordinates. I would not and did not give his address details out without his permission.
I can only apologise Kim that you felt that you couldn't post anymore on that thread, it was not my intention. Something you mentioned did indeed give your address away exactly, I won't say what to preserve your privacy. One of my passions in life is map reading. There is so much info in them apart from the superficial reading that most people do to get from A to B, especially when one has access to several maps of an area down through the ages. My apologies again.
And I totally agree that the written word can come across wrongly without seeing the grin, a wink, nudge nudge etc. etc.
More than three lines there KS!

This boy can really sing http://youtu.be/Dgv78D2duBE

Last edited by tagwex on Mon Feb 02, 2015 2:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
Kim
Rank attained: Rowan Tree
Rank attained: Rowan Tree

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apology accepted and I appreciate you taking the time to explain your perspective.

There was no detective work, I just remembered that thread so picked up your banter, this time.

I would like to step back from this thread and get back to addressing the concerns of greengage, As James is the moderator and the the founder, being here from day one and no doubt having seen this forum through highs and lows it would be appropriate to hear your views James.

I appreciate all the work that goes into setting up and running such a forum as this. Meeting the needs of diverse gardening approaches and moderating diverse personalities. So Thank you James for creating this forum.
James Kilkelly

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am here folks and I will address the main points raised when I have had time to trawl through the thread.
My mother broke her wrist this morning and things are up in a heap.
I will get back to ye.......

http://www.allotments.ie/ Ireland's allotments.
On Twitter... http://twitter.com/Allotments

Garden Consultation & Design.

Try my Garden Design home study course!
Sue Deacon

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

James - sorry to hear about your mum. Hope she is on the mend soon.

On the question of subjects for posting, I have a suggestion. Last year I found out that my youngest cat was FIV+. In a panic I searched the Net for answers and found a great forum of lovely people and joined up. The forum is divided along quite simple lines - lost and found, health and behaviour, bereavement, homes wanted/offered and 'General Chatting'. There has to be some connection to cats (however tenuous) but otherwise, in this section, anything goes. You are free to jump in and out as you like and if you would prefer not to join in you don't click on that section. It works well. Perhaps we could do the same?

[quote="tagwex"] 'One of my passions in life is map reading. There is so much info in them apart from the superficial reading that most people do to get from A to B, especially when one has access to several maps of an area down through the ages.'

I trust maps over satnav ANY day. Try and find us with satnav and you end up at a farm 3 miles away!

At school (back in the Dark Ages) I loved Geography. I especially liked it when we were given ariel photos and used them to find out, what part of the country it was, what was the soil like, what season and time of day - stuff like that. It taught us to 'look until you really see'. But then I'm just nosey! Laughing

See, that would make it into 'general chatting'
tagwex

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@ Kim. I meant detective work in the sense that the KS open day was before you started posting. You must have been hovering for a while before starting to post!
@ Sue. I would find you no problem. I found your hotel didn't I?

Last edited by tagwex on Mon Feb 02, 2015 2:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
Sue Deacon

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tagwex wrote:
@Sue. I would find you no problem. I found your hotel didn't I?

If I didn't know you better, I'd find that creepy! Shocked

If you ever lost your job, you could always drive a delivery van, Those beggers can NEVER find us. Laughing
tagwex

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not creepy, not stalking, totally innocent I can assure you. To be honest I just find it intriguing and a challenge. I work with maps and aerial photos all the time. When I find you and your honey fungus wood I will let you know!!!

Sue Deacon

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know the phrase 'you can't see the wood for the trees'? That should give you a clue. Laughing

In Fermanagh there has been a long and tedious saga about Townlands V Postcodes. A lot of folks got new addresses to go with their new postcodes and we all got an ariel shot of our houses with the appropriate postcodes, You can't see our house, just a load of trees and next door's collapsed sheds. Rolling Eyes Suits me just fine.
tagwex

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right so. I take up the challenge. Some wet day during the week I might have a look.

Good guy

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now that I'm feeling better im taking Greengage's advice to open a new thread re perennials.
Good guy

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So you are a map junkie, Tagwex. That explains a lot! Seriously, though, I know what Sue means when she says she would nearly find it creepy, having her location identified. I didn't like it when you were suggesting you have worked out where I live - it made me feel uncomfortable, at the time.
Having said that, I'm really pleased to have discovered another person who loves maps - I have done ever since I can remember, probably started off watching my dad at his drawing board. Maybe we should start another thread on the topic. I might even promise to keep my contributions pun-free, in deference to your peace of mind!
tagwex

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Once again I apologise Good Guy it was not my intention to make you feel uncomfortable. But Ireland is a small country and hard to hide in. I cannot remember exactly now as it was some time ago but I think there was a challenge/comment made there too that you were well tucked away. I just love the challenge. Maybe I am wrong in what I remember but we wont dwell on it. By piecing various comments together I was able to narrow it down to which side of the town and you know the rest as I told you back then.

Yes, maps love them all. Old OS to modern digitals and geology maps and when combined with aerial photos and the likes of Griffiths valuations and the house descriptions in the old census records then I am in heaven.
There are many map related stories that I can recall. But the best one was the look on a mans face who owed me 12000 for several years and had moved house to get away from his debts. I found him on facebook, trawled through his photos/comments, worked out where he lived and turned up there one morning at 5:30. I had all the necessary paperwork with me and something that he didn't want made public. He called the guards, my paperwork was all in order and the guards agreed with me and I left with a cheque, thinking full well that he would cancel it but he didn't. Happy days. So once I had found him it was only a matter of bringing him to court again. Maybe it was the threat of letting other less pacifist people than myself know of his current whereabouts that made him not cancel the cheque!!!

New rules, this is a pun free forum.

Last edited by tagwex on Mon Feb 02, 2015 2:42 pm; edited 2 times in total
Greengage

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have Taylor and Skinner book of maps myself, a full set i think of old 1/2 ordnance survey maps and the new maps, use East/west maps for hillwalking and no end of orienteering maps, i could tell you about Lidar mapping for the country but i would get in trouble, actually i know nothing about that....+ Laughing Laughing
tagwex

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now you are talking uber high tech maps. East/Westmaps wouldn't interest me as they are for recreational use mostly.

Last edited by tagwex on Mon Feb 02, 2015 1:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
Geranimojess

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Best wishes to your Mum for a speedy recovery James...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> How to get the most out of Irishgardeners.com All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 3 of 10

Jump to: