Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> How to get the most out of Irishgardeners.com

How can we improve the Irish gardeners forum?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next  
Most Recent Posts Honeymoon Honesty
Last post: Greengage
Warning of Stormy Weather, Ireland, 11/3/08 to 12/3/08.
Last post: Greengage
Quiet times
Last post: Sue Deacon
woodland trust quizz.
Last post: Sue Deacon

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
Greengage
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gardening went through a bit of a phase, there were lots of people getting allotments really enthusiastic thinking they were going to be self sufficient, gardening is hard work and some got disillusioned actually a lot I know of people I know of did.Some of the allotments are now on the market for housing so people lost them
There were some very active GIY groups I was a member of one and posted on their forum page. That seems to have ended in a bit of a mess, probably egos. Some groups were going to join up but they appear to have fallen apart as I have seen or heard nothing in a while. Then Mens sheds were all over the place so that took a lot of people, Next poultry groups and that got loads of publicity so everyone I seem to know was into that. The next big thing is Honey bees and save the bees I was in a small group now it has over 300 members lots of experts after 6 months....... The latest there is that FIBKA the national organisation have resigned it appears over expenses, so it will be interesting to see the fall out of that.
Lots of gardening forums and other forums I contribute to seem to have lots lots of numbers. Even on this tread it is the usual few commenting including myself. Difficult to know how to increase numbers, lots have moved onto facebook, I follow I think Irish gardens but it can be a bit of a nuisance as I get loads of posts when I check in threads running all over the place it is difficult to keep track of what is going on . it is also easy to post photos on facebook here it is a nightmare resizing.
I have to copy my posts before I submit as the keep poping back no POST SUBMITTED just like now dam computors...........
Sue Deacon

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blowin wrote:
OK. But by my powers of observation, apart from an entry in the 'Joke' section, I can't ever remember a time when the last post would have been 5 days previously, i.e. 9 Sept in this case, so it would suggest something is different. However, if everyone's happy, including James, we needn't concern ourselves.
Perhaps, like me, there is nothing to say. Over the last few weeks I must have spent all of 1 hour in the garden - broken down into the odd ten (mostly soggy) minutes.

I've cleaned out the gutters, proped up a number of battered plants and hauled about a tonne of blanket weed out of the pond. Not exactly my finest, horticultural, hour! Rolling Eyes

Blowin
Rank attained: Vegetable garden tender

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I rather think you've hit the nail on the head, Sue? I seem to recall there was a steady flow of newbies asking about raised beds (Ugh) and polytunnels (even more Ugh) and, even though the same comments did seem to appear for obvious reasons, at least they kept things ticking over. If the group becomes stagnant, there will, as you say, be nothing to talk about because we're only talking to one another.
tagwex

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm so chuffed.
Ado 2 has disappeared too.

This boy can really sing http://youtu.be/Dgv78D2duBE
Good guy

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im in the Canadian Rockies admiring glaciers and mountains at the moment. Will be happy to resume forum activities on my return - often dodgy wifi when travelling.
I did think about the forum this morning while walking along the shore of Bow Lake. I spotted something i initially thought to be heather and thought "That's odd." On closer examination it turned out to be a very small prostrate juniper. It was growing on a hump of dryish peaty soil, had similar tiny slender leaves etc. Good example of adaption to an environment resulting in similar forms.
And yes, i think FCeBook, Instagram etc have had a significant effect. People have only so much time a available.
Sue Deacon

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ooooh so jealous GG! Very Happy
tagwex

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

James Kilkelly wrote:
Taking it all in folks, thanks.
The cutting down of the quantity of subsections is long overdue and we should have some movement on that shortly.

Well if the boss is inactive what hope is there? One and a half years since that quote. You would think that a man of supposedly superior gardening knowledge than, I dare say, most if not all the rest of us, could start up a few interesting threads to keep the thing ticking over or stimulate a good debate. If interest doesn't come from the top then there is no hope. I sent him a PM about a dodgy poster who was trying to advertise stuff of an adult nature a few months ago and I never even got a response back.

I have been doing something if any of you noticed of late. Find an old thread and comment on it as then anyone who had commented on it would get a notification, hoping to draw back in a few old posters. One can only do so much.

Blowin
Rank attained: Vegetable garden tender

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

T, it's sod all to do with creating artificial threads to stimulate interest. This forum used to be buoyant with a wide range of contributors, many of whom have disappeared. One has to ask why that has happened and we might be grateful to Kim for being the one who was constructive enough to put in print what she didn't find attractive. She could be, and probably is, the tip of the proverbial iceberg, but represents the 90% below the waterline who voted with their feet but couldn't be bothered to tell us why. Everyone is a little apprehensive when they venture into a new environment and will form indelible impressions from their first visit. Many of our 'potential customers' can join the 'lurkers' who needn't join, but can get a taste of what's inside, so the fact that they're not coming in must indicate they're not impressed. Maybe a box of mirrors could be suitable to circulate as Christmas presents?
tagwex

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How can a thread be artificial? A thread is a thread and if it promotes responses then what harm can it be? My point was that James may know of interesting views/news/stories/research etc. as he is a professional would know of, that us ordinary mortals do not know of and it could be informative and interesting.
Box of mirrors????

Last edited by tagwex on Sun Sep 17, 2017 10:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
Sue Deacon

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A number of years ago I attended a church that had a sudden influx of 'new faces' in the form of students from the local Uni and medical staff from the teaching hospital. The church got so busy that the older members were asked to sit in the church hall where the service would be relayed. Over time the hymn books were replaced with 'happy-clappy' song sheets and the sermons got very high brow.

Many of the medical staff were on short-term contracts and the students were fickle as students often and moved on to other churches.

Am I making my point? If it ain't broke don't fix it. I have been gardening for donkeys years and have amassed a huge amount of knowledge on the subject. I am only too delighted to pass on what I know. I am still learning, I had never heard of Fool's Watercress until last week!

So I say to all the lurkers, jump on in at any time and SAY something! I know some of us often go off at tangents but that's how conversations among friends go on.

Yes it's quiet at the moment, but I am sure it will pick up again soon. Without the friends I have made here I wouldn't have some lovely plants. GG gave me a Bog Bean which is in flower again and Blowin gave me some lily bulbils that finally flowered this year and are beautiful. Thanks guys!

tagwex

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And I gave you nothing but hardship!!!

Sue Deacon

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh I wouldn't say that. Very Happy
Greengage

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobody gave me anything Sad
kindredspirit

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even on Farcebook an extraordinaryily high percentage of people are lurkers. I'd imagine that happens everywhere.

My only problem now is posting pics since Photophuckit shot itself in both feet. I've downloaded 2 photo-resizing programmes but for the life of me can't seem to able to work them. A UK gardening forum I'm on, allow you to post pics straight from your computer and that forum is still roaring away (I know they have, naturally, a vastly larger membership to draw from).

Maybe the answer is an automatic picture uploading programme for Luddites like me. Smile

A little garden in Co. Limerick.Some non-gardening photographs.
Sue Deacon

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know what you mean, I've given up with Photophuckit (like that!) I get better luck with picresize.

I'm afraid as far as the other side of the Irish sea is concerned, it's not just a population numbers thing. There is generally more interest in gardening over there. Or is it just in Fermanagh where essential garden tools are a chainsaw and a ride-on mower, plants are referred to as 'green shite' and soil is called dirt. Rolling Eyes

Right, it looks like a fine day, bugger the housework I'm going out in the garden!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> How to get the most out of Irishgardeners.com All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 8 of 9

Jump to: