Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Climbers and creepers in Ireland, including wall shrubs

Pruning young clematis

Most Recent Posts Garlic problem
Last post: Greengage
funny
Last post: ponddigger
Introduce yoursellf to whom.......................
Last post: Keeks
I'm new here
Last post: tagwex

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
Clondoolusk
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 9:31 am    Post subject: Pruning young clematis Reply with quote

Hi, planted a clematis 'polish spirit' in a pot along a wall of my house last spring. Just wondering about pruning it, I'd say it spread about 3 ft high and wide last summer. I've read that a young clematis needs to be pruned back hard in year one? Any advice?
Greengage
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This plant is a member of the viticella group of clematis, It is a late-flowering clematis, pruning is easy.just cut back the stems to a pair of strong buds 15-20cm (6-8in) above ground level before growth begins in early spring. Late flowering clematis like these are also supposed to be resistant to clematis wilt and because they can be pruned back hard they can easily be trained through roses or small trees.
Clondoolusk

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks greengage, my plan was to trail these along the wall to a jasmine that I have previously planted, excuse my ignorance but I know I obviously have to prune it but in doing so and so hard will I ever achieve the spread I'm looking for? Maybe this particular climber might not suit what Im asking it to do.
Greengage
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Theres no rule to say you have to prune it , you only prune to control growth, if you want to train it further along dont bother pruning let it go, it will be decidious and will probably be bare at the base but sure what harm.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Climbers and creepers in Ireland, including wall shrubs All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: