Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Irish Wildlife, Irish Wild flowers and nature gardening.

Beekeeping

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next  
Most Recent Posts The spout!!!
Last post: ponddigger
stream and pond on a sloped site
Last post: ponddigger
Colocasia Alocasia
Last post: vincent71
Garlic stalks for the compost heap
Last post: newspade

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
Good guy
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's just as well you're not a trout, Tagwex. You rise to every bait.
Kim
Rank attained: Rowan Tree

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greengage wrote:
Kim tks for advice I will be following the plan on this website with a few modifications http://www.scribd.com/doc/168332145/How-to-Build-a-Simple-Top-Bar-Hive

I am not able to view the plans on the above link but we also built our first topbar hive according to Phil Chandlers plans. The plans that we followed included middle entrances and a screen bottom, as that was the original plan, but I expect the plans have been updated now to solid bottom and end entrances. (I forgot to say in the earlier post that we, and many others, changed from middle entrances to end entrances).

The natural beekeeping forum (Phil chandlers site) is a great resource. You have reminded me that I joined this forum to talk "bee flowers" with other gardeners.
Greengage

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did not know that people have changed to an end entrance as i was planning on using the follower boards to cover off an end and use an end feed the bees with water/sugar or fondant. I will check it out. Another of my hobbies are bumble bees last year I found Echium to be a fantastic source of nectar and pollen for them.
here is a list of flowers suitable for bumble bees , they will also be suitable for honey bees its from Bumble bee .org
http://www.bumblebee.org/flowerlist.htm
I have a link to a better site and will post it when i can locate it.
You should read a Sting in the Tale by Dave Goulson, http://www.theguardian.com/books/2013/may/18/sting-tale-dave-goulson-review
One of the problems i may have is that bumble bees and honey bees may not be compatable as both would be competing for the same food source, honey bees are not great pollinators where bumble bees are, (That could be controversial ) A bumble nest will contain approx 400 at best while honey bees could have up to 20k all competing for same food. We should start a different thread about flowers suitable for pollinating insects. Tks for Info.
tagwex

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good guy wrote:
It's just as well you're not a trout, Tagwex. You rise to every bait.

And this is coming from the salmon of knowledge? ??

This boy can really sing http://youtu.be/Dgv78D2duBE
James Kilkelly

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't vouch for this, but worth a look for those interested.......

7th March Beekeeping
Introduction to beekeeping from Kingdom Beekeeping member Peter Curran
Gortbrack Organic Farm,
Ballyseedy,
Tralee,
Co. Kerry

http://gortbrackorganicfarm.com/online/?page_id=786

http://www.allotments.ie/ Ireland's allotments.
On Twitter... http://twitter.com/Allotments

Garden Consultation & Design.

Try my Garden Design home study course!
Kim

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem that has arisen in some cases with the central entrance is that the bees will store honey on either side of the brood nest. When winter comes and they cluster up they can start to work their way through one side and if it is very cold when they reach one end, the whole cluster may not move down the other end to find the rest of the honey and they can starve even though they do have the stores there. This may be an uncommon event but many have now chosen end entrances to avoid the possibility of this happening. I like end entrances as I have a colony at each end and there is less drift than if the two entrances were side by side.

I should add that I am a beginner beekeeper with much still to learn. The natural beekeeping forum is full of excellent explanations, links, posts and photos, and experienced beekeepers.

I'll talk pollinators and flowers on another post, but just to answer this briefly...

Quote:
One of the problems i may have is that bumble bees and honey bees may not be compatable as both would be competing for the same food source, honey bees are not great pollinators where bumble bees are, (That could be controversial ) A bumble nest will contain approx 400 at best while honey bees could have up to 20k all competing for same food.

We have several bumble bee species in our garden and what I notice is that while the bumble bees can be seen from dawn to dusk on so many flowers, even if the plant is very small or there is only a few of that type of flower, honey bees have more specific requirements. They require warmer temperatures to fly, so they are up later and go to bed earlier, and unless a plant is abundant it is overlooked. Their short tongues make many flowers unsuitable, I don't see there being any problem with competition unless one lives in an area of agricultural monoculture and too many beehives.

Honey bees and gardens are, to me, evolutionary companions.
Greengage

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tks for the info KIm Ill join that site, I said here on a different thread ill post until I reach 2000 posts and see if ill continue on this site.
tagwex

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KC and the Sunshine Band.

http://youtu.be/ikJony6h_tQ

Last edited by tagwex on Tue Jan 27, 2015 9:19 am; edited 1 time in total
Kim

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
ill post until I reach 2000 posts and see if ill continue on this site.

I missed the thread where you said that greengage, You would be a sore loss to this forum. I don't read all the threads on this forum as I don't get the jokes a lot of the time, and find it confusing as to whether a post is just banter or what the joke is.
I try and get the best out of this forum by only reading a few of the threads but that way I miss things too.
Greengage

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read an article on the http://www.biobees.com/forum/index.php re holes at the end it makes sense and saw a number of photos of others hives lots of different interpetations of how to build them. Ive been invited to visit three sites this week re beekeeping and we are having a visit from a beekeeper so its onwards and upwards.
Kim

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is worth doing a lot of reading before you start but it is also a good idea to start with the basics and just go with it, making the modifications that suit you. Beekeepers are notorious for having "ideas" to try this and try that and everyone has a different opinion, but it is all good and so many different approaches do work. Most fun is finding the way that works for you.

I joined the natural beekeeping forum as I found I was looking for a simple approach. You know the saying ... Anyone can make things complicated but it takes a genius to make something simple.

Best of luck and keep us updated, If you join the natural beekeeping forum, do post and say hello.
Good guy

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greengage, I totally agree with Tagwex and KC and the Sunshine Band!
If you do go you will be sorely missed. Whatever, I wish you all the best in your beekeeping endeavours. I was introduced to beekeeping by a gentle Quaker friend of my parents in England when I was little. He was a man completely in touch with nature and I've liked bees ever since.
Greengage

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just spent the whole day looking at hives and talking to bee-keepers, Kim ive joined that forum there as Greengage keep an eye out for me loads of questions to ask.
Geranimojess

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sunday People... Feb 1st..........The Bizzies...

Elite Gun Cops are enrolling for a special sting operation--- to look after Bees.
Britains first Police Beekeeping Club has been launched to help Officers in Scotland Yards CO19 Firearms Unit keep calm on the Trigger and de-stress

Blah....Blah....Blah

In 2013 it emerged Bees were being trained to sniff out Terrorists at Heathrow Airport....Dubbed "Bomb-Lebees" the insects were placed into a handheld detector and stuck out their Tongues when they sensed Explosive Chemicals,triggering an Infra-red Sensor and raising the Alarm...
tagwex

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you sure it wasn't April 1st?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Irish Wildlife, Irish Wild flowers and nature gardening. All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: