Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Irish Trees & other trees grown in Ireland

Damaging storm tomorrow.

Most Recent Posts Garlic problem
Last post: Greengage
funny
Last post: ponddigger
Introduce yoursellf to whom.......................
Last post: Keeks
I'm new here
Last post: tagwex

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
caferacer
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 11:19 am    Post subject: Damaging storm tomorrow. Reply with quote

My poor trees took an awful hammering after the hurricane last Feb,some of them were recent planters and were very sorry looking with sparse leaf during summer.Im crossing everything that tomorrow`s storm wont finish them off. Sad
James Kilkelly

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fingers crossed everything and everybody will be OK.
I know some folk are excited about this wind event, and a youthful part of me sill is, but my old man head is worried about the damage it may cause.

Stay safe, folks. Confused

http://www.allotments.ie/ Ireland's allotments.
On Twitter... http://twitter.com/Allotments

Garden Consultation & Design.

Try my Garden Design home study course!
Good guy
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Time to 'batten down the hatches' as my seafaring ancestors might have said!
Greengage
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

im full time on chainsaw since christmas lots of storm damage. Not another one on way there will be nothing left.
caferacer

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orange warning has been given by Met Eireann which is pretty serious.The 18:55 forecast sounded ominous.I wouldn't be surprised if the Red warning will be given at 21:30.I dearly hope Im wrong but this could be a nasty one.If you are in the orange zone I would suggest you take whatever you can indoors and the rest lash down as best you can.
http://www.met.ie/nationalwarnings/default.asp
caferacer

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2015 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last week`s storm was a bit of non event considering a Red warning was issued.Anyhow,I have a problem with a Cherry tree that was felled during last year`s hurricane.It was planted 2 months before the hurricane as a mature tree so when it was blown over the root damage was pretty minimal.I restaked it, gave it a feed and crossed my fingers.During the Summer it had very sparse leaf but I kept an eye on it,giving it another feed and watering during dry spells.Will it ever recover fully?Is there anything I can do in the next few months to help it?
tippben
Rank attained: Vegetable garden tender

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2015 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you say "mature", what exactly did you buy? 18-20cm girth, or bigger? Was is container grown, or rootballed? Larger specimens like that take several years to establish. Rootballed ones take longer, because of the shock involved it digging them up with a tree spade. If it was dormant and only recently planted, it should be fine. The one concerning sign is the sparse foliage. That often indicates root suffocation. If the place where the stem turns into roots (the root collar) is not at the soil surface (or even just above) the tree will suffer. Cherries have a very shallow, spreading root plate.

What can you do? Water copiously, feed with either a granular slow release fertilizer or a liquid feed, but concentrate on the outside of the root system. You want to encourage those to grow bigger and outwards. When it comes into leaf, mix up some liquid seaweed, or homemade nettle/comfrey feed if you can find it, and spray it on the foliage first thing in the morning. This encourages root development. Make sure there is nothing else growing, especially grass, within 60cm of the stem. You can either use cardboard and wood chips/leaf mould 6" deep to do this, or you could use glyphosate.
caferacer

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2015 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was a rootballed 10fter,I planted when it was dormant in December,so you reckon there is hope there for it Cool .I used chicken manure pellets are they any good?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Irish Trees & other trees grown in Ireland All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: