Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Irish Trees & other trees grown in Ireland

Fan Trained Apple Tree (Wanted)

Most Recent Posts oops
Last post: Margo
funny
2016 Vegetable quizz.
Skimmia seed wanted
Last post: Brendankearns

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
Nozebleed
Rank attained: Vegetable garden tender

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 2:14 pm    Post subject: Fan Trained Apple Tree (Wanted) Reply with quote

Hey all, im looking to buy 4 x dwarf fan trained apple trees but im struggling to find what im looking for online. From what ive read you should purchase 2 different varieties. Johnstown garden centre have a variety in stock called elstar. Can any of you recommed another variety for me? Ideal max height of the tree will be 7ft. The intention is to train them along a 30ft north facing wall. Thanks.
Greengage
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just buy a bare rooted tree cut it low and train it yourself no problem.
Sue Deacon
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My friend wanted fruit trees in her garden. I managed to fit in some apples on dwarf stock. But her dad had bought her 2 conference pear 'maidens'. I had run out of space elsewhere so I fan-trained them against a stone wall.

I first put some wires along the wall then got 3'-4' canes and tied them as a fan. I left the lead stem vertical and tied in the lower stems. They are a bit wonky at the base, but both had quite a bit of fruit on them this year.

Give it a go! Just one thing, don't forget to give them plenty of water. The ground next to a wall is very dry. Your post has also reminded me, I have to prune them!

This wall is west facing, don't know about north facing

rsz_060.jpg
 Description:
fan-trained pears
 Filesize:  247.98 KB
 Viewed:  2184 Time(s)

rsz_060.jpg

Kim
Rank attained: Rowan Tree
Rank attained: Rowan Tree

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The intention is to train them along a 30ft north facing wall.

Do you have anywhere else you could plant them? They will grow on a north facing wall but it will be challenging for them and they may struggle to thrive. Sunshine helps to ripen and sweeten fruit. West and south facing walls are warmed by sunshine which helps protect fruit buds from spring frosts and creates a warm space for pollinating insects (so fruit will set).

Is it the apples you would like? or is it the wall you want planted? (does that make sense?)

p.s. love your picture Sue
DAH89
Rank attained: Hazel Tree
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been away from this site for a while and only just read this. The Victorians used to grow Morello cherries on the north facing walls in their walled gardens. These will need to be grown and pruned similar to peaches i.e. flower and fruit on the previous years wood. There are a couple of plums that will survive on a north facing wall Czar and Belle De Louvain. There are few others that will survive.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Irish Trees & other trees grown in Ireland All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: