Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Introduce yourself to the rest of the Irish gardeners

Hello again!

Most Recent Posts 2016 Vegetable quizz.
Last post: Greengage
At last! A garden joke. (except maybe it's not a joke!)
Last post: Sue Deacon
Skimmia seed wanted
Last post: Brendankearns
funny
Last post: tagwex

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
Sue Deacon
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 10:46 pm    Post subject: Hello again! Reply with quote

Hi and Happy New Year!
I joined the forum in early 2012 as Susie D. I tried to log in yesterday and as I have a new email, had to re-register, so, 'hello again'!

I was about to start a big garden build - it's done now! Although the garden is finished, (as much as one ever is) I am still involved with it's care and
development.

I spent so much time on this garden that I neglected my own. So I'm going to make up for it this year, I hope.

Hope the pics appear OK!

rsz_006_-_copy.jpg
 Description:
Before
 Filesize:  217.89 KB
 Viewed:  3838 Time(s)

rsz_006_-_copy.jpg

rsz_037_4.jpg
 Description:
After summer 2013
 Filesize:  214.71 KB
 Viewed:  3838 Time(s)

rsz_037_4.jpg

tagwex

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Plenty of blood,sweat and tears went into that. Well done. Was it a group/community project?

This boy can really sing http://youtu.be/Dgv78D2duBE
Sue Deacon

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you. No, it is a private garden. That wall is the side wall of a hotel. It runs the length of the garden. Part of the brief was to minimize it's impact on the garden. Instead of trying to hide it, we made a feature of it and thankfully it is working.

It was a once in a lifetime project. My husband and a young man from the village did much of the 'building', but I was fortunate to have a lot of help from the guys who built the house. At first I think they were not too sure what the crazy English woman was up to. But they were great.

My friend had this picture taken when the house was finished. See what I mean, BIG house, small garden! It has filled out quite a bit since then.

rsz_housepanorama.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  181.03 KB
 Viewed:  3726 Time(s)

rsz_housepanorama.jpg

Sive

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2015 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How lovely to see the trees to the front...they make the house so much more interesting ! I hope they will survive all the excavation and building work.
Sue Deacon

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2015 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oooh, what a job that was! The original ground level there was 3-5ft below it's finished level.

My friend wanted to keep as many mature trees as possible, to give the whole site an air of maturity (and help hide the house). We called in a tree surgeon for advice and a quote to fell one tree, do some remedial work to some others and prune a very large, very lop-sided cherry. He told us not to bury the tree trunks (something I was aware of and had planned for) and quoted us 850.00 +VAT for the work!!! We think he saw the house and thought 'kerching'.

A friend of a friend managed to fell the tree, neatly AND safely. The lovely builders provided a cherry picker and we managed most of the rest of the work ourselves!

The trees on the right of the drive are in a hollow. The ash in the foreground is in a small dip surrounded by heathers, azalea, maple and pieris - mainly evergreen for winter interest. The trees behind are sycamore (not a tree of choice, but there you go). They are in a deeper hollow and give more shade so that is a woodland garden, with ferns growing out of the rocks which hold back the soil.

I was very protective of the trees and would hover everytime there was a delivery. It got to the point where the builders would say ' don't touch the trees, if you do there'll be trouble!'

All that hard work to preserve them and I spend every spring and autumn cursing the sycamores for their prolific seeds and wretched leaves - ANY other tree Rolling Eyes
Good guy

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2015 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A brilliant job, really well done. The way you used that whopping wall as an opportunity rather than a problem is a credit to you. You will get great pleasure now, watching it mature.
Sue Deacon

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2015 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Good guy, that's very kind of you. I must admit there are times when everything is growing well and the sun is shining I think 'wow, did I really do this?' Some bits still need work - but that's gardening, you never finish! What do they say - A garden is a thing of beauty and a job forever.. Laughing
tagwex

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is that the Carlton House in Belleek?

James Kilkelly

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thought I was looking at downton Abbey for a moment there.... Wink
Can't beat a few startling "before" and "after" pics to awaken the gardeners spirit after the Christmas holidays.
Thanks for sharing, Sue.

http://www.allotments.ie/ Ireland's allotments.
On Twitter... http://twitter.com/Allotments

Garden Consultation & Design.

Try my Garden Design home study course!
Sue Deacon

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tagwex - yes it is. How did you know? Surprised

James - yes it is a BIG place! Their little girl was doing a 'conversational French' exam. The teacher asked her how many rooms in her house? She had to count them up and when she gave the answer the teacher thought she had misunderstood the question. Laughing Glad I don't have to clean the place - the garden is more than enough for me!
tagwex

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Elementary, My Dear Deacon! la Sherlock (who never actually said those words). Alternatively if I told you I would have to kill you.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Introduce yourself to the rest of the Irish gardeners All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: