Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Vegetable growing, fruit and allotments in Ireland

Tomato time II - 2015

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next  
Most Recent Posts oops
Last post: kindredspirit
funny
Last post: kindredspirit
2016 Vegetable quizz.
Last post: Margo
Skimmia seed wanted
Last post: Brendankearns

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
Sneachta
Rank attained: Hawthorn Tree

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 10:10 am    Post subject: Tomato time II - 2015 Reply with quote

So with the change of the year and the days finally starting to lengthen again has anyone's minds started turning toward the hopefully glorious spring and summer 2015?
With space being a premium this year I'm just going to go with the tasty reliables :-

Sungold, Rosada and Gardeners Delight and another (to be decided).
Probably will order this week and sow in the last week of January.
Anyone have anything interesting or new planned for this year? When are you going to sow them?

Happy new year too all!
Greengage
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

going for onion seed rather than sets this year, hope they store better.
tippben
Rank attained: Vegetable garden tender

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an unheated house (not a greenhouse, our actual dwelling), but I do have a heat mat and propagator. I have about 1 square foot of splace on a south facing window next to the front door, and a bit of space on a table next to an east facing window. When I try to grow my own plants, they do really well, then they go into the polytunnel, where they basically stop. Little plants from the garden center do better, but the best ones this year were volunteers of indeterminate origin.

Is it really anything I can do to improve my chances from seed?
Good guy

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2015 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe the transition from inside your house to the polytunnel is too abrupt. What about coddling the plants a bit during their first week in the tunnel. A bit of fleece or similar might do the trick.
mcgrueser
Rank attained: Rowan Tree

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm trying a new early tomato variety this year. It's called Latah, It's supposed to be a very early one so I'll be planting seeds in next few days.

I'll also be planting Black Cherry, Gardener's Delight, Sweet Aperitif as well as Ailsa, San Marzano Plum and maybe some Marglobe and Tigerella.

I'm not sure if I will grow Sungold this year. They are very nice but I think the Sweet Aperitif might pip it for nicest. I might get more Rosada seed- they were very prolific and a bigger cherry tomato than the Sungold, great when adding cherry toms to sweeten up the sauces I make.

Anyone else trying new varieties or have any suggestions of varieties for me to try? I'm always on the lookout for tried and tested ones!

If there's one thing to get you over the post-xmas slump, it's the planning of the garden for the year ahead! Love it...
tippben
Rank attained: Vegetable garden tender

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2015 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Good Guy. I do try to harden off, properly, but perhaps not enough, if lots of other people are doing fine.

To all of you ordering seeds: We have room for about 6 plants in the tunnel, and usually room for a few "plant it and hope for the best" outside. If you are going to end up with lots of surplus seeds, I'd really appreciate trying some interesting varieties. If you could send me maybe five seeds of your surplus, I might end up with 6-8 completely different plants. I will, of course, return the postage costs incurred (or seed swap). PM if you'd be willing to do this.
yaut
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

how are you early sowers going to sort out the lack of light at this time of the year? grow lights? make some room in cannabis cupboard?
Sue Deacon

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mcgrueser wrote:

Anyone else trying new varieties or have any suggestions of varieties for me to try? I'm always on the lookout for tried and tested ones!

If there's one thing to get you over the post-xmas slump, it's the planning of the garden for the year ahead! Love it...

We have a greenhouse but due to the surrounding trees, it gets less direct sun each year! I've never done well with Italian plum tomatoes (not enough sun) but I've found 'Bejbino' - a large cherry tom. - from DT Browns a very reliable, healthy and tasty variety.

I've normally got my planning done by November - usually notes along the lines of 'don't bother with this next year' and 'must cut some of the trees back'. But I do agree, in this rotten weather it is nice to plan (and dream) what you will do in the garden.
Sneachta

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally got round to it last weekend

10 x Gardeners delight
10 x Sungold
5 x Rosada sown
Nyom nyom.

And some other (non tomato) seeds sown also.

The 9.99 propagators from Lidl are very nice lined up against my southern facing window in the kitchen, quite a bargain I think.
yaut

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

anyone interested in seed swap? I have some of these left:
Good guy

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I transferred my chilli seedlings and my Sweet Millions out of the heated propagator today and put them in much better light on the kitchen windowsill in Aldi propagators.
The tomatoes had 100% germination despite being last year's seed. I wonder was that due to the bottom heat?
Mayo

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ive done my seeds for this year. I have Gardeners Delight, Garden Pearl, Tumbler and Money Maker.

I love this time of year x
Sneachta

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Coming along great here, disappointed with my Rosada, only three of the 5 seeds sown germinated but all the others did.
Popping out in the green house on sunny days and in the kitchen window sill on rainy days and night time.
Frost and cold begone!
God its great seeing the rhubarb growing again and the gooseberry and raspberries sprouting leaf again!
Spring cabbage going well too as is garlic. Wonderful time of year.
Sue Deacon

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh stop, stop, you are making me feel guilty! So far I have only sown some white birch seeds and some seeds that had been in cold storage and needed sowing on arrival. That was 4 weeks ago and so far zilch!

I bought a few tomato plants last year, just to see how they compared with sowing my own. They were sorry looking things when they arrived, but soon out-grew mine and performed really well. So I have ordered more (2 varieties) and am only sowing one - my old reliable 'Bejbino'.

Even so, for some reason I am SO far behind this year. Every time I go outside I am reminded of jobs to do. But I do agree - it is a wonderful time of year.
tunnelsofhens10

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all, just wondering if anyone has used Envirogrind veggi mix and found any difference in in poor soil mix. have used the same soil in the tunnel for eight years, and got from great results to poor as soil has depleted. this year have decided to invest, have bought two ton bags, and devided them up between the the tunnel and veg. garden. Anyone?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Vegetable growing, fruit and allotments in Ireland All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: