Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Vegetable growing, fruit and allotments in Ireland

Tomato time II - 2015

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next  
Most Recent Posts What are you planting now?
Last post: Greengage
Whats wrong with my apple tree
Is planting a laurel hedge bad for Irish Environment
Brexit

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
Good guy
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought a ton last year and used it almost
Ng with my poorish topsoil to make the raised beds and I also used it as a top dressing. In both instances I am well pleased. My neighbour was unhappy with his veg beds being depleted and on seeing mine he got some and dug it in. He is pleased too. I have only one caveat - one bed I built much later than the others and I had very little real soil for it so it was nearly all Veggimix. I found it didn't retain water well, on its own. Otherwise, top marks!
Greengage

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whats in this veggimix and dii you buy it in bilk and who supplies it.
Good guy

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It comes from a company called Envirogrind, based in Pettigo in Donegal. I bought a tonne and my neighbour bought two. They supply various mulching materials as well.
It contains composted material and crushed shell - I think they compost a lot of fish factory waste and maybe domestic stuff and bark as well, but you'd have to ask them. Lots of people around here use it as a soil conditioner and as a mulch and swear by it. I know one man who uses nothing else in his tunnel.
They will deliver but for handiness I got mine from a supplier in the town.
Sue Deacon

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had great results from their ordinary top soil mix - though being sterilised it needs a little feeding.

They also have several grades of bark top-dressing/mulch. Nice folks to deal with to.

We built a raised veg bed for a friend. She broke her back in a fall and can't bend, so we built it 3' 6" and U shaped. It was filled it with Envirogrind's soil and some well rotted 'oss muck. I am continually astounded by the amount and quality of veg she gets from that small patch.
robbie checker
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found Rosada very slow to germinate too. I sowed a 24 cell tray with a number of different varieties, some big ones like big boy, roma and some early ones like maskota, latah etc. Most of them germinated a few weeks ago and I potted them on into small pots and left the tray out of the propagator. I was going to use it for something else when I noticed one of my rosada had germinated and also a couple of others which hadn't germinated yet (italian florentino bush variety which work well in the side of my polytunnel) so maybe they are slower to germinate. They were last years seed and the florentino are several years old so maybe that affects the speed at which they germinate.
Mayo

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm trying a new variety , well new to me anyway.
They are called Latah tomatoes
Anyone tried these?
mcgrueser
Rank attained: Rowan Tree

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm trying them this year too, Mayo. The germination rate was fairly poor though. From about 10 seeds I only have 2 plants now. But in fairness these 2 are growing very fast. There should be flowers in the next week or so.
I was looking for an alternative early bush variety. Last year I grew Maskotka. I wasn't blown away by them so thought I'd chance Latah.

I have grown Tumbling Tom Yellow for the last number of years also which always crops very well and the yellow trailing fruit is really nice. I've been saving those seeds every year for a good few years now. It must be one of the most rewarding things about gardening, when you grow the plants from the seeds you've saved...
Mayo

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi
I will try the yellow tumbling toms next year.
I sowed 12 Latah seeds and they've all germinated but I find they are growing really slowly.

I have just repotted them so they may make a move now.

Im also doing cucamelons and cape gooseberries for the first time this year.

The greenhouse is full of flowers fruit and veggies.
mcgrueser

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd be very keen to hear how the Cucamelons get on. I had them last summer for the first time, they are very interesting and quite tastey.
yaut
Rank attained: Hawthorn Tree

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I moved first tomatoes into the greenhouse today. Nights are still bit too cold but they're getting desperate. Too big for the windowsill and the containers they're in. All with flowers. I'll see how they're get on, and move the rest in next two weeks.
Last year I started replanting on 26th of april but then night temps were up to 10-12C in the green house. Now minimum is 6-8C at night according to the thermometer.
Sneachta

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My plants are getting rather large now with the first flowers out. I'm thinking or planting out in the next week or two, has anyone else moved theirs out already or am i being a bit early?
Good guy

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Over the weekend I made a final picking from my purple sprouting brocolli and then uprooted them. As I have never got around to un-jamming my shredder, I dealt with the stalks using a lump hammer. A few swift blows and they were smashed and into the compost heap.
I took out a wide trench down the centre of the bed and filled it with well rotted horse dung before replacing the soil. Now it is ready to grow my courgettes.
The only other crop still standing from last year is chard which is still yielding. It's time will be up soon though as it makes way for the runner beans.
Lius
Rank attained: Ash Tree
Rank attained: Ash Tree

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Gardeners Delight started flowering this weekend in the greenhouse, anyone else any further ahead ?
yaut

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy

tagwex

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome back Lius, it's been 10 months! I thought you were coming down here last summer. How is the new allotment going or did you ever start it?

This boy can really sing http://youtu.be/Dgv78D2duBE
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Vegetable growing, fruit and allotments in Ireland All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: