Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> The Events Diary, environment and ecology / home and garden.

Surprise, surprise!

Goto page Previous  1, 2  
Most Recent Posts Pisonous plant in the garden this month
Last post: Sue Deacon
Quiet times
Last post: Sue Deacon
Honeymoon Honesty
Last post: Greengage
Warning of Stormy Weather, Ireland, 11/3/08 to 12/3/08.
Last post: Greengage

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
baabamaal
Rank attained: Hawthorn Tree
Rank attained: Hawthorn Tree

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well said good guy. I think the economics of farming is loony toons.As an example of this, I took four rescue hens that were being given away last year. They were in awful condition-no feathers, starved and freaked out. I don'tthink the farmer was a cruel person, the difference between your 7000 hens laying 300+ eggs a year and them laying less is the profit/economic survival. My fear is that, through lack of cooperation by state agencies and others, that we are moving further away from sustainable systems.
My next contribution to this site will be gardening related I swear!
Good guy
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 6:13 pm    Post subject: Surprise surprise Reply with quote

I took these photos today while walking less than a mile from my house. I think they illustrate well the points I made in my earlier post. These are two adjacent fields planted with winter barley, together with the road verge beside them which has required frequent attention from the council to keep the drains clear. There is nothing in the soil in these fields to hold the soil particles together.
One of the best books on the environment and climate change I have come across in recent times is Naomi Klein 's "This Changes Everything: Capitalism vs Climate Change. " I wholeheartedly recommend it to anyone who cares about what is happening; especially interesting is the final section of the book where she writes about changes in how we do things that already are, or have the potential to, make a difference.

image.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  333.58 KB
 Viewed:  2011 Time(s)

image.jpg

image.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  360.09 KB

image.jpg

image.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  298.73 KB

image.jpg

image.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  330.29 KB

image.jpg

cooler
Rank attained: Sessile Oak Tree
Rank attained: Sessile Oak Tree

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for posting your photos Good guy. Is that run off not just coming from where the headlands are cut up though?
Good guy
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No. It is silt washed down the field. Last year it was much worse, I think probably because the field was used for potatoes and was left with nothing growing at all through the winter.
I've lived at this address for more than twenty years and never saw this kind of run-off until three years ago. In previous years, crops grew successfully right up to the field boundary as this used to be reasonably well drained land. The headlands were always quite narrow. No machinery has been on this land since it was sown.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> The Events Diary, environment and ecology / home and garden. All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: