Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Garden Photo gallery & Plant Identification area

What are these two trees in our garden?

Goto page Previous  1, 2  
Most Recent Posts Insecticides you consume.
Last post: Greengage
Garlic
Last post: Greengage
Water..
Last post: tagwex
CORONA VIRUS QUIZ NO 3
Last post: tagwex

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
Good guy
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I found out to my cost (see earlier post re Scots Pine)! Even the needles can be a darn nuisance if too close to a house. They clogged everything and even got into the engine compartment of the car!
And welcome to the Forum, crol. I hope this hasn't put you off, but some of us get very excited at times!
crol
Rank attained: Hazel Tree
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good guy wrote:
As I found out to my cost (see earlier post re Scots Pine)! Even the needles can be a darn nuisance if too close to a house. They clogged everything and even got into the engine compartment of the car!
And welcome to the Forum, crol. I hope this hasn't put you off, but some of us get very excited at times!

not at all!

thanks for all your help and advice.

one problem with removing these trees is that they provide us with a good deal of privacy in our garden.

in the future i would guess we will want to plant new trees which would grow to a similar height (5m) to help recover some privacy.

however we would need to be sure that these trees would not be likely to damage our raft foundations given we are building on a clay soil.

what types of tree would you guys suggest and how far away from the house should they be planted?

thanks again,

crol
Dr. Sunny Thomson
Rank attained: Rowan Tree
Rank attained: Rowan Tree

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just want to say thanks to all that have added their knowledge and theories to this thread. what started out as a one persons question and one persons answer has grown into something really enlightening. Smile
Good guy

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's one of the great things about the forum: sharing information and learning from each other.
Greengage

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For me i would plant Amelanchier, Sorbus, Acer grisium, or Crateagus levigata,or Prumus amanogawa.
check out Rhs website for more you might like,
https://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile?pid=117
Let us know what you decide. Curious.............
Good guy

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hollies in all their varieties are lovely in the garden, too, as are the crab apples.
As for planting boo-boos, in my first garden in Letterkenny in the late seventies, I planted, about twelve feet from the house, one of those variegated poplars that later became a plague upon the landscape. One year later, having read that their roots can cause severe problems with foundations and drains, I decided I'd better move it. When I dug it out I was staggered to find its roots had grown eight or nine feet in that one year!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Garden Photo gallery & Plant Identification area All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: